SOLVED Not Sure If Charger Is Properly Set - Not Seeing Foam

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lazersteve said:
Testerman said:
Q1. Can any gold be recovered from the rinse solution? My rinse solution is tap water and baking soda. I let my solution drip back into the cell, but I also notice that some specks of black are being deposited into the rinse pail.
Vacuum filter the rinse solution until clear and particulate free. Rinse the filtered solids with some diluted HCL while they are still in the vacuum rig. Combine these solids with your primary cell yields for the batch.

Testerman said:
Q2. Is there a way to rinse the solution back into the cell with more sulfuric to wash the black away before rinsing?
If you vacuum filter the entire cell contents through a polypropylene, Fiberglass plug, or Teflon filter you can reuse the clean concentrated acid directly in the next cell set up. Be very conscious of your safety and wear all the appropriate personal protective gear when working with concentrated sulfuric acid. Proper workspace ventilation and an acid proof catch basin are mandatory. Aerosolized (fine mist) sulfuric acid is a carcinogen (cancer causing agent). The filter material and gold are now processed directly in AR to dissolve the gold, followed by standard gold processes thereafter (filter transparent, precipitate, wash, repeat, dry, melt).

Testerman said:
Q3. What is the ideal temp to have the gold settle to the bottom?
No need to wait for settling, simply vacuum filter with proper filter material as stated above. Poly melts around 130C, Teflon around 327C. Your cell should never be run over 100C (30-40C is optimal in my opinion) and will likely be impossible to safely handle above 40C.

Testerman said:
Q4. Does it actually take approximately 24 hours for the gold to settle or is there a way to speed up the process?
See replies above.

Steve
Thanks for the info. What's on my "Wish List" now is a vacuum filter/pump. I saw videos of them in action and they will filter so fast, it'll turn a 1 hour filtration into 5 minutes at most.

I have learned so much from the replies, and I know now that I can recover the black powder from the rinse. After this cleanup, I'm going to make my next rinse bowl with just water, then use a plastic strainer to put my material in, swirl it around in the water, releasing any black powder, then dump the pins in a different pail.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Kevin

Kevin

Latest posts

Back