Some of the common IC types and what's in them.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Novak

Supporting Member
Since this question comes up all the time, I figured I could lend some insight. I've worked in the semiconductor industry for 20+ years for the companies that make these devices, so I have some insider knowledge and can debunk some myths as well.

So let's start off with this. Note that I am EXCLUDING Pentiums, enough has been done on those.

20230815_103222.jpg

Sorry my chicken scratch is hard to read, but this is a good snapshot of the "majority" of IC packages you will find. Not all, but the common ones.

Top to bottom:

CERDIPs - CERAMIC Dual In Line Package - Some of mine are the Gold heavy test chips - average weight is 5G with 0.5G recoverable gold per device. These are hard to find but are, well, a gold mine. Especially with the "lid" these will produce a nice clean gold solution in AR. The gold ones are pretty easy to spot, but there are Tin leaded versions as well. Most if not all of the ceramic ones are gold bond wires, but you have to get to it. I personally think that CERDIPS are the easy to work with - just torch them, crush them, wash them, then into the AR. They do produce dark AR so you need to clean it a bit, but nothing gets stuck togethor.

Second is a PDIP - Plastic dual inline package - they come in all sorts of pin counts and sizes, but will only have pins on 2 long sides. PRE-2014 these are QUARENTEED to have gold bond wires. If you come across large batches of the same device, you can usually go to the manufacturer website and find the date codes. Starting in 2014, despite what others will say, the INDUSTRY as a WHOLE started switching over to hybrid bond wires, usually Cu, CuPd, or aluminum. Yes, there are still some outlier devices, but it's starting to be close to a 70/30 split of Cu vs Gold. It's just the truth, and there are plenty of documents from manufactures stating such. In fact, if you have a specific part number, the datasheet will tell you what the bond wires are. If it is aerospace, automotive or custom, it's 99% chance to be gold, but if it's a commercial device, more than likely Cu or CuPd (Again after about 2014)

PDIPS are OK and can yield, but it's a messy, long process of grinding, washing, washing again, grinding some more, then going through chemical processing. Plenty of videos out there.

20230815_102240.jpg

You can see the difference is pretty clear what gold yield differences would be!

Next down are TQFP - "Thin Quad Flat Pack" - there are also SSOP and QFP's where an SSOP is a plastic package with leads on 2 sizes, versus QFP with 4. These are the majority of new plastic packages with small legs on all 4 sides. (called gull wing or J-lead )

Same as the PDIP, pre 2014 are guaranteed to be gold bond wires, post 2014 could be a mix. The leads are usually Tin over Copper, sometimes Silver over Tin, sometimes what they call "matte Sn" which is just, well, Tin. These are all considered "leaded packages" (you can see the little gull wings sticking up if you zoom in) and some have heatsinks on the bottom, usually aluminum. But again, these will all contain some sort of bond wire. BEWARE that High power devices are generally going to be aluminum or copper bond wires. RF devices more likely to be gold.

SOPSSOPTSSOP.png

20230815_103239.jpg

Next up are the dreaded BGA type packages. If you look careful you will see BGA's, and then on the (well, top since the picture is rotated) what is called a WLCSP - Wafer Level Chip Scale Package.

WLCSP's DO NOT HAVE BOND WIRES. PERIOD. The die is flipped upside down, solder balls are attached, and it's encapsulated in epoxy.

BGA's May have bond wires, or they may have a substrate (teeny tiny PCB inside the package, and the die is basically solder bumped and attached to that so it fans out the grid array). Only way to tell is grind a few up and process them with AR.

On an interesting note here - BGA's are the grandkids of the highly sought after PGA's - Pin Grid Array - found in the old pentiums and such that had sockets. If you look at a PGA it has a similar layout on the bottom to the BGA, just with solder bumps replacing the pins.

Here's the inside of a BGA - again may or may not have bond wires.

bga.png

BGA solder balls are usually SnPd or SnCu - but OLD ones from the 80's and early 90's may be Silver or Gold - but watch out, a lot of those old parts also contain LEAD in the solder. (RoHS changed all of that in circa 2005)

Last on this list at least, are QFN's - Quad Flat No Leads - these will look like a TQFP or QFP, but there are no "legs" sticking out around the package. Rather they are flat solder pads incorporated into the edge of the plastic package.

These WILL have Bond Wires, but again no guarantee on gold, Cu or CuPd

20230815_103244.jpg

In my opinion only, I prefer working with the ceramic packages

For additional reading, here's some documents from around the industry about bond wires.

Texas Instruments - Converting to Cu - https://www.ti.com/lit/wp/sszy003/sszy003.pdf?ts=1692081118893

Renesas Product Change Notification stating switch from gold to copper - https://www.renesas.com/us/en/docum...cility-listed-renesas-tssop-packaged-products

Renesas Copper bond wire overview - https://www.renesas.com/us/en/docum...stimating-bond-wire-current-carrying-capacity

Microchip some of their process nodes to CuPdAu (still some gold, but another alloy) https://www.microchip.com/product-c...8BVJU876/PCN_JAON-08BVJU876_Affected_ CPN.pdf

Hope this helps. I'm happy to keep adding more details if there are any requests!

I mistakenly left out "Gold Cornered BGA's" - I will see if I can find some in the junk pile. These are fairly easy to spot as they have a gold triangle on one of the corners, which is usually an external ground test point, and marks orientation.

Again this was just supposed to cover some of the common stuff, but I'm happy to dig around for other packages (want to find some windowed EEPROMS :) )

<<< :edit: the above should say EPROM - "Electrically Programmable read only memory" NOT "EEPROM" which is "electrically erasable programmable read only memory" >>>

Last edited:
A warning and word of caution when working with older IC's - I did mention it above, but (and this goes for both IC's and circuit boards) PRE-2003 (actually, mandate was written in 2003 but forced in 2006) will most likely contain lead (Pb) solder on boards, and on the leads of "legged" IC's. You may also run across Mercury, Cadmium and a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce, so be careful!

The RoHS (Reduction of Hazardous Substances) Act was a whole lot of fun for the semiconductor / electronics industry as we had to have new formulations of solder, and fast.

https://www.rohsguide.com/rohs-faq.htm

<<< :edit: the above should say EPROM - "Electrically Programmable read only memory" NOT "EEPROM" which is "electrically erasable programmable read only memory" >>>
At the risk of being pedantic, EPROM is erasable programmable read-only memory. The original ROM had to be programmed during manufacture (hard coded). PROM could be programmed once after it was manufactured. Thereafter, it could only be read. EPROM allowed the package to be erased by exposure to UV light and reprogrammed. EEPROM eliminated the need for the window and the UV light by allowing the memory to be erased electrically.

That's the problem with being old. Your brain gets filled with useless trivia that's just waiting to escape.

Dave

I thought it was funny that they've used precious metal bond wires for so long. Then, they figured out how to do it with plain ol' aluminum. And now they're going semi-precious with copper. Also think it's interesting that the technology for aluminum bonding exists, and yet gold bonding wire is still pretty prevalent apparently. That aluminum bonding machine must be relatively expensive compared to your run-of-the-mill gold bonding machine!

Those WLCSPs, I never knew the right word for them, so my unofficial in-my-head name for 'em is direct-mount flipchips. Good for them that they can make 'em, but no goodies for reclaiming. Dang flip chips...

I've a few ceramic DIPs, maybe 10. All from the same device so I wouldn't have expected them to be too different, but every single one of them had aluminum bond wires :( They aren't the style I see in your pic with a lid, but rather they are two ceramic halves cemented together, with the legs poking out from the cement seam.

I thought it was funny that they've used precious metal bond wires for so long. Then, they figured out how to do it with plain ol' aluminum. And now they're going semi-precious with copper. Also think it's interesting that the technology for aluminum bonding exists, and yet gold bonding wire is still pretty prevalent apparently. That aluminum bonding machine must be relatively expensive compared to your run-of-the-mill gold bonding machine!

Those WLCSPs, I never knew the right word for them, so my unofficial in-my-head name for 'em is direct-mount flipchips. Good for them that they can make 'em, but no goodies for reclaiming. Dang flip chips...

I've a few ceramic DIPs, maybe 10. All from the same device so I wouldn't have expected them to be too different, but every single one of them had aluminum bond wires :( They aren't the style I see in your pic with a lid, but rather they are two ceramic halves cemented together, with the legs poking out from the cement seam.
Aluminum has a much higher electrical resistance than gold, it's MUCH more chemically reactive and not resistant to oxidation, and it has a rather low melting point.

For chips which will likely get hot, it's no good for bond wires. Copper has similar properties to gold, therefore they're much more interchangeable.

The memory on EPROMs could be erased with UV light. EEPROMs are electrically erasable, which is why I'm wondering why they would have a window.

Dave
While depopulating, I have noticed those eprom chips usually have a little sticker over the glass window. I assumed this covered the window to protect against accidentally erasing the chip.

At the risk of being pedantic, EPROM is erasable programmable read-only memory. The original ROM had to be programmed during manufacture (hard coded). PROM could be programmed once after it was manufactured. Thereafter, it could only be read. EPROM allowed the package to be erased by exposure to UV light and reprogrammed. EEPROM eliminated the need for the window and the UV light by allowing the memory to be erased electrically.

That's the problem with being old. Your brain gets filled with useless trivia that's just waiting to escape.

Dave
Fine, you're old :cool: PROM (And even EPROM's) are well older than I am, but in the industry today, nobody uses the term PROM (and hasn't for 30 years) So I do have to agree with you on PROM vs EPROM vs EEPROM.

But in today's terms....not to be pedantic, but....a quick google search will yield... (right or wrong :p )

The main difference between EPROM and EEPROM is that, the content of EPROM is erased by using UV rays. On the other hand, the content of EEPROM is erased by using electric signals.

But you know what I mean anyway so I'll buy you a beer anytime and we can have a laugh about it.

Either way, I've yet to come across any EPROM's around the office, and my employer used to be the king of them.

I've a few ceramic DIPs, maybe 10. All from the same device so I wouldn't have expected them to be too different, but every single one of them had aluminum bond wires :( They aren't the style I see in your pic with a lid, but
Bshan - In the big power IC's there are no bond wires - it's literally an aluminum slug and interconnects that are cast (or however they do it) and then build the silicon around it. Heat is a MAJOR issue with these monsters and most are water cooled. Cheap to build, but not cheap to implement

And you are right on the WLCSP - it's commonly known as flip chip, although the real "flip chips" aren't even packaged, it's just a substrate and silicon. Usually these are big honkin' monsters that get covered with a heat sink. The advantage is WLCSP is always going to be the smallest package, basically the same size as the silicon die inside of it. Good for manufacturers, but yeah, not much to yield as a scrapper.

The CERDIPS I have are a little different beast - they are actually pre-production test chips used for test and validation. I'm going to try and 1/2 dissolve one so you can see the inside with the carrier and bond wires.

One thing to point out with the TQFP type packages - the bigger they are WRT to external pin count the more bond wires they have. A lot of times a manufacturer will take the same die and make a 64, 100 and 144 pin (or even bigger!) version - more pins = more bond wires.

I'm a microcontroller guy, but as mentioned, if you wanna see the insides of different components, I'm more than happy to see what I can find and tear it open.

Aluminum has a much higher electrical resistance than gold, it's MUCH more chemically reactive and not resistant to oxidation, and it has a rather low melting point.

For chips which will likely get hot, it's no good for bond wires. Copper has similar properties to gold, therefore they're much more interchangeable.

Alondro, correct - however for the high power stuff it isn't aluminum bond wires but more of an aluminum "slug" of interconnects. As mentioned above, these are usually heat sink'd or water cooled. I'll see if I can find some drawings and doc's on it.

BShan - let me see if I can find some CERDIPS that are pressed halves. I think you can seperate them with hot acetone. I'll see what I can dig up.

They aren't the style I see in your pic with a lid, but rather they are two ceramic halves cemented together, with the legs poking out from the cement seam.

Latest posts

Back