STANEOUS CHLORIDE WITH STANNEOUS CHLORIDE POWDER/CRYSTALS?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex01

Hello experts in the house,I need your help. I've just dissolved about 2kg of Computer Processors in aqua regia(nitric 1: hcl 3),

I have filtered out some particles this morning after leaving the aqua regia solution overnight and now I have a dark green solution.

However , I am hoping to add some urea to neutralize the nitric acid after which I add some sodium bisulfate to precipitate the gold in the solution.

However, at this stage of filtration/decantion, I prepared a stanneous chloride solution using a stanneous Chloride powder I bought since I could not find tin metal or powder, the stanneous chloride powder is packed in a laboratory cuplike pack of 500g with a cover. I put 1g of the stanneous chloride powder to 30ml of hcl then tested the filtered solution(green in colour) but it tested light green in nature. Though this is not the appropriate time to test,but I only did that trying to see what I will be expecting.

Please I need your advice, is the Stanneous Chloride solution well prepared?

I need your help before I proceed. thanks

Rex, welcome to the forum. There are many mistakes in what you've done. It is best to eliminate as much of the base metals as possible before dissolving your gold instead of just putting everything in AR. Since you didn't dissolve all the metals, your gold is probably among the particles you filtered out. If you add your nitric acid in increments, you can avoid using too much, so there is no need for urea. If you do use too much, there are better ways to eliminate it than urea. Sodium bisulfate will not precipitate gold, sodium bisulfite will. I assume when you say your solution "tasted light green", you meant "tested light green. The way to test your stannous chloride is by dissolving a bit of gold and using it to make sure your stannous is working.

I recommend you download the book in my signature line and read it till you understand it. Until then, you're not really ready to be trying these processes.

Dave

Dave gives good advice. Years ago, I was making lots of mistakes, but people like him helped me learn what I was doing. Even today, I will make rookie mistakes when I do not have my notes readily available. Your gold is not going anywhere. Sit down and read. Then sit down and study. When you believe you have an understanding of a process, perform on a small scale. Keep very detailed notes. This will help you determine what you do correctly, and what you do not. Enjoy.

Time for coffee.

Thanks so much

I'm grateful.....I saw the article on this link on gold recovery from CPUs through AR method and decided to try it with 2kg of CPUs http://www.metalminemedia.com/2013/03/gold-recovery-method-aqua-regia.html?m=1 you could take a look yourself

Thanks

Oh thanks Dave

I mearnt sodium bisulphite and not sodium bisulphate, I'm sorry for such great mistake and I hope others reading this, can get the correction. Moreover Dave, the particles I filtered away were not metallic , just mere particles from the processors; stuffs like pieces of fibres, lumps of ceramics and so on that rested beneath the second gallon since I used a strainer bucket placed inside the second bucket.

So I was actually thinking the gold pins in the processors dissolved into the AR, since I couldn't see the gold pins anymore after removing the pocessors.

What do you think at this point?

Thanks your imput is vital Sir

Rex

Were all of the processors ceramic? Or was it a mix of ceramic, black fiber and green fiber cpus?-each with their own style of recovering and refining their gold.

Do you have any pictures? They can help immensely in times such as these.

When the gold goes in to strong oxidizing acids, like AR. It will go into solution, but in the case of CPUs, the acid eventually gets to the more reactive base metals.. Once this happens, gold that had been dissolved, will get pushed out of solution and cement back onto the remaining base metals. When gold cements out of solution, it wont be nice and shiny gold. It will appear to be black or brown mud.

Are there ANY base metals in your filter? If so, thats a good indication that the gold cemented back out.

You should have a nice little nug of gold in the end! Not a million dollars worth or anything, but hey, gold is gold!

You, with patience and practice, will become much more proficient at refining as time goes on. Dave and everyone else here is more than happy to help how we can. But, the absolute best thing to do, is read Hoke's book that can be downloaded freely(dave-frugalrefiner, has an excellent updated version in his signature line).

Best of luck to you.

I just read that article that you linked to. There are a couple other things in it that should be addressed, so other new people that see this thread can know as well.
Step 1
Cut the parts of the circuit boards that contain gold and put them in the bucket & throw away the other parts of the board. If you also have CPU chips hot them with a hammer as the gold parts are usually inside the chip. Place these in the bucket too.

Dont throw it away. Recycle it!

Step 2
Take a clean 5 gallon bucket and either use aqua regia (nitric acid and hydrochloric acid) In the ratio 1:3. Remember to use gloves these are very hazardous materials.

Either AR or..? 1 part nitric to 3 HCl is too much still, even in an open reaction. Its best to use a reflux and add your calculated HCl, then small small additions of nitric until your gold is Fully dissolved, that will prevent you from having to spend a bunch of extra time denoxxing the solution, which is a requirement to precipitate the gold.

Step 3
Place your CPU chips and cut up boards in a plastic wire mesh basket and then place this in the solution. The metal should start to fizz and give off a brown fume. (these fumes are toxic so make sure you are doing this process with an adequate mask or in an open area!) This chemical reaction is the gold dissolving into the acid solution, this process can take up to 2 hours so leave the boards in the solution for a while. Come back in 2 hours and check the boards to see that all the gold has been dissolved.

Gold yes, but also base metals, which are competing with the gold to be in solution, and if there isnt enough acid to accomodate them all, the base metals will win, and bully the gold out of solution.. Making the gold bruised from the scuffle, leaving it black and brown.-2 hours may not be long enough. Especially if the reaction isnt heated, or if there is a vast amount of metal to dissolve

Step 4
The gold is now dissolved into the acid solution. This acid is reusable until there is no longer a chemical reaction of fizzing and fuming. Once the acid liquid is no longer reacting and dissolving the boards then remove the basket and check the liquid to see if any lumps of other material still remain in the liquid. If there are then filter this liquid or simply decant it into another container leaving the solid lumps behind.

I dont know what kind of plastic basket he is using, but nitric is pretty hard on most plastic. Although there are some members that do their reactions in a 5 gallon bucket. AR shouldnt be one of them. Glass vessels are a must. Even if its just a coffee pot sitting in a corningware dish. If it breaks its fixable. With an AR reaction in a bucket, it could easily become perforated from a ceramic chip wearing on one spot over n over and when the levee breaks?...oh man, i know id be sad...very very sad.

Step 5
Your acid liquid should be a dark green clear liquid, if it looks cloudy or there are bits floating in it then you need to decant it or filter it until it is clear. Once its done then add some urea to the acid liquid little by little. It should react by fizzing - keep on adding the urea until the liquid does not fizz anymore.

It really shouldnt be a dark green color. Not if you are refining your gold....if you are recovering, thats a different story. Stay away from urea in refining. As Dave mentioned, sulfamic acid is a much much better way to denox. As it removes NOx AND make some sulfuric in the solution, which in turn will precipitate lead as lead sulfate, which will be filtered off before ppt of the gold (win-win!)

Step 6
Once it has stopped fizzing you need to add precipitant to the acid liquid to extract the pure gold. You need roughly 1.5 spoonfuls of precipitant (Sodium Bisulfite (Na2HSO3) for every ounce of metal dissolved so remember to roughly weigh what you dissolved in the first place. Add the precipitant to a clean bucket and then add the acid solution. The precipitant and the acid will react forming a muddy solution that should sink to the bottom. This mud is your pure gold! To know whether you have extracted all the gold from the acid liquid - test some of the acid for gold content - using a gold detection liquid - if there is any gold in the acid still the gold detection liquid will turn purple brown. If there is still gold in the acid then add more precipitant.

I would personally just dissolve the ppt in water, then put it in my ar solution, stirring well. Or just add the powder directly to the AR solution. But, the solution must have some free acid to liberate SO2, which is really what is reducing the gold.

The brown stain on his stannous test, is too much precipitant. Purple to black is gold.

Step 7
The acid should now be a clear green or amber color with mud sunk to the bottom. Pour off the acid into another container leaving only the mud. When the acid has been poured off add 2 or 3 gallons of water to the mud then pour off the water making sure you dont pour off any of the mud. The rinsing ensures the high purity of the gold. Test the mud with aqua ammonia for the purity of the gold. If it turns blue then you need to keep rinsing. Give a final rinse with distilled water.

Test the solution. If its amber, id think pgms or iron maybe.

3 gallons of water?...man.. Thats alot. I think id rather just barely cover it. Stir... Decant... Barely cover it again...stir..decant... By the 3rd time, its usually good to go.

Be careful with ammonia in the lab, it can form unwanted (explosive) compounds with silver... Be sure to reacidify with HCl after so it isnt an issue.

I think i covered it all. Best of luck to ya!

Topher_osAUrus said:
I dont know what kind of plastic basket he is using, but nitric is pretty hard on most plastic. Although there are some members that do their reactions in a 5 gallon bucket. AR shouldnt be one of them. Glass vessels are a must. Even if its just a coffee pot sitting in a corningware dish. If it breaks its fixable. With an AR reaction in a bucket, it could easily become perforated from a ceramic chip wearing on one spot over n over and when the levee breaks?...oh man, i know id be sad...very very sad.

There is nothing wrong with using 5 gal plastic buckets for processing using AR, nitric or AP. I use them 95 percent of the time for processing anything from ceramic CPU's to gold filled material and as far as I know GSP uses the same buckets with little problem. I'm sure there are many others that use them as well. They are actually very durable for processing in.

Hello all

thanks a lot. Here are the photos you requested for. Please I need you to tell me what to do to recover the gold in the solution , thanks a whole lot.

Rex

Attachments

• IMG_20160419_074225.jpg
    IMG_20160419_074225.jpg
    190.2 KB
  • IMG_20160419_074213.jpg
    IMG_20160419_074213.jpg
    171.4 KB
  • IMG_20160419_074131.jpg
    IMG_20160419_074131.jpg
    199.4 KB
  • IMG_20160419_074012.jpg
    IMG_20160419_074012.jpg
    269.5 KB
You may have some of the gold in solution, (gold will plate back out of solution onto base metals).
You still may have gold trapped under the fiberglass layers.

You do not know for sure if you have gold in solution or not. Or if you have all of the gold. With a high nitric content the stannous chloride test will not work, (the nitric keeps the gold dissolved).

I can say you have base metals in solution obvious by the color, a guess of copper of iron along with tin and other base metals the scrap contained.

You were already given advice of what you will need to do to learn to recover and refine.
As far as getting your gold back out of this solution, the advice given by others is what you needed.If you have much gold in solution, there are different ways you could do that.

I would put a clean bar of copper in it, and cement out any values. Then save the cemented powders, (any powder), the green solution, and the original CPU's. Dry powdered material, put all of this up in a safe place.

Then get out Hokes book and start studying it, and the forum.

Right now you do not know anything about gold, or how to recover or refine it. You are expecting that you can be able to watch a video and read a couple of articles and do something it can take years of work for a refiner to learn, and gain skill in his trade. You think you can read a few pages and will be able to do the chemistry with no understanding of it at all. You think this is something simple. It is not.

You do not learn to become a mechanic by tearing apart engines with no idea of what they are or how they work, then trying to put them back together. With no clue of what goes where, or what part does what. With no idea if the parts are worn, or if they are bad, or how to test them. you will not learn by reading an article, or watching a video of some mechanic rebuilding an engine. This takes time to learn, there are skills involved, you need to spend time to gain an understanding of what you are trying to do, and how it works, why it works and why not.

Study safety, and how to deal with the toxic waste you have saved, this is the most important thing you will need to understand.

Butcher has given you excellent advice, that none can top.

Cementing what PMs you have on a bar of clean copper. Thats your best bet. It will allow you time to learn what can be done to prevent this issue from arising again.

The picture you showed us of your material processed is a mixture of processors, that each require their own style of processing.

But never fear, following the sound advice of others who have made the same mistakes as you, will surely guide you to reclaiming the PMs that have been misplaced.

Hows your stannous coming along?

Barren- i know that there are a great many on here that use the 5 gallon buckets to process. I am just uncomfortable doing so, as i like to heat my reactions. And glass allows me to do that, as well as see the colors of the solution as well. Not saying anyone is right or wrong. I just know my luck, and with that past experience...i know working AR in a 5gal, would probably end horrifically for me. ...and i dont like seeing the inside of my stock pot being black from PM deposits.. So, doing an AR run, would very well make me go insane wanting every microgram of metal

rex01, do not toss the processors in the picture shown. The major portion of gold is still on them. The green patina means that copper has cemented on iron from the pins (legs) left on the bases. This means that the gold cemented out as well. When processing this type of material, you must continue the dissolution until every speck of metal is dissolved or it will trap your gold.

Thanks Topher and Butcher and all , I will put butcher's words to use.

so any idea on how to get the gold out of the CPUs?

Finish the dissolution of all the metals first. beyond that, you need to learn how to get the gold back out of solution. I would suggest reading on the subject first and then using a small amount of your gold solution and do some safe experiments with it for practice.

rex01 said:
Thanks Topher and Butcher and all , I will put butcher's words to use.

so any idea on how to get the gold out of the CPUs?

Geo answered before i saw your post rex, and it is spot on.

After cementing onto copper, drying and storing those powders, you will want to test that solution with stannous, or a copperas crystal (or both) to make sure the solution is barren.
Then you will want to read up in thw safety section "waste disposal" to safely get rid of the rest of your solution (that now contains no pms)

Once you have enough knowledge to comfortably continue, do as Geo said, and dissolve the reat of the base metals on your processor lot to recover the gold.

Then you should begin focusing on refining the gold.

If you get stuck, or hit a rough patch, dont hesitate to ask on here. We will all help you any way we can. But, the absolute...hands down...par none, help that you can get is Miss CM Hoke's book... Refining precious metals... Also, her other book testing precious metals is also a very good read... So is Ammen's book.

I would post more but my wife said, put away your phone- your drunk, its date night...so, im sorry, but those 3 books can beat ANY information i could EVER give...EVEN sober
:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back