stannous testing sollution from older soft solder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank-20011

hello everyone,

is there any problem by preparing stannous-chloride-gold-testing-sollution from an older soft solder which is made from Sn and Pb (and maybe Sb).

do the little PbCl2, which is present in the SnCl2 sollution i'll end up, disturb the detection reaction?
in cold water PbCl2 isn't good soluble so there isn't much of these lead salt present.

every stannous-process i coud find which works with solder is working with 95/5 (sn/sb) solder but i have only this kind of soft-solder in my shop.

thanks and regards!

frank-20011 said:
hello everyone,

is there any problem by preparing stannous-chloride-gold-testing-sollution from an older soft solder which is made from Sn and Pb (and maybe Sb).

do the little PbCl2, which is present in the SnCl2 sollution i'll end up, disturb the detection reaction?
in cold water PbCl2 isn't good soluble so there isn't much of these lead salt present.

every stannous-process i coud find which works with solder is working with 95/5 (sn/sb) solder but i have only this kind of soft-solder in my shop.

thanks and regards!

Per the underlined above --- go to the store (hardware) & buy the 95/5 Sn/Sb --- it a small investment for the right stuff (or order it on line)

Kurt

hello and thanks,

" buy the 95/5 Sn/Sb"....."it a small investment for the right stuff"

the right stuff is pure tin or tin powder, i only ask if it's possible to take soft solder made of sn/Pb instead an other soft solder made of sn/sb.

best regards and have a nic weekend!

Dear Frank

Kurt was quite correct in what he said. The "right stuff" is exactly that high tin content solder. Unless you're doing Kilos per week one small roll will probably last you many years, if not your whole refining career.

Jon

spaceships said:
Dear Frank

Kurt was quite correct in what he said. The "right stuff" is exactly that high tin content solder. Unless you're doing Kilos per week one small roll will probably last you many years, if not your whole refining career.

Jon

Here is a link that may give you an answer you want. But, i agree with everyone who has posted so far.

Gold is expensive.

Solder is cheap.

Losing gold because of stannous that expired too quickly, or didnt have enough tin to properly reduce the gold to give you your purple (or other colored indicator for other pms) would surely be disheartening.. For me anyways.

But, i too, am one of the guys who tries to use what he has to get by.

Link:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2082&start=40

-toph

I'm making my stannous from an old pewter bowl and it works great. (Sn, Sb)

But I have tested to make it from soft leaded solder too and it works. If it is with internal flux then just melt it before using it for making stannous chloride, and flatten it out for faster reaction.

If the lead (which is hardly soluble when cold) would be a problem then we would have a problem testing for gold in a solution where some lead could be present, and we can do that without problem.

Stannous chloride is one of the easiest chemicals to make yourself, I have even tried to use the spent acid after depopulating a circuit board with lead tin solder. Worked like a charm.

You should also have a standard gold solution to test the stannous chloride if it is still working.

Göran

Goran

Do you think we could put together a library thread for Stannous that we could just point people to mate?

I'm sure that I am not the only one who grimaces when I see yet another stannous thread 8) 8) 8)

Jon

Latest posts

Back