Starting Over... Slowly

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaplow

Hey All,
I am going way slower and smaller this time and have what I believe to be my 1st success. I used nitric acid to remove the base metals from a few fingers. Now there are flakes floating in the acid.

Does this sound right for next steps?
Filter the acid to recover the flakes
Rince the flakes
Dissolve them in AG

Joe

Do you mean melt them in silver Ag, or dissolve them in aqua regia (AR)? Both will work but foils are clean enough to skip the inuarting step and go right to aqua regia.

Butcher,
Thank you for your insight and all your help. If I knew this process was going to be so complicated, I may not have started in the 1st place. The instructions on my subzero kit were super simple and left out about 10,000 details. That said, it is getting to be a bit more fun now that I am starting to understand the bigger picture. Since I am in this far I figure I will see this thing through. At this point getting gold will be cool, but what I am more concerned with is not creating a toxic spill. I am clear on neutralizing my solutions and proper disposal. This has been an unexpected adventure.

Today I spent some time on youtube looking at other peoples success and failures. There is some cool stuf out there. I will be sure and keep you all posted. As of now I still have the flakes in the nitric acid and wont be able to make another move till next week.

4metals,
The 1st time I followed the directions on a Subzero kit. 1) Put everything in AR, 2) add storm precipitant, 3) collect your gold. Nothing about getting base metals out of the way, nothing about a lot of things. My original thread and journey is here: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=12947

Again, I cant thank you all enough, this forum has been invaluable,
Joe

Joe I think your starting to understand that refining isn't that simple unless you know what your doing, your initial failure will give you a fantastic opportunity to learn how to recover and refine your values, it's a mess and a headache but with patience and studying you will sort it.
We want new members to succeed here and are all pleased when new members get their first button but that comes with a price, reading and studying...it's that simple.

Joe megaplow,
nitric acid will remove copper from the memory fingers, but be careful of adding solder or tin in this solution.

The hydrochloric acid and 3% hydrogen peroxide process sometimes refered to as the AP process or copper II chloride leach, is a great method to learn, it works great for memory fingers and many other items, this low cost leach will save you from using your expensive nitric acid (best saved for other processes), Laser steves web site check out his videos, documents, and posts they will give many details of the process, the solution can be reused, and rejuvinated, until it is contaminated, it is also much safer than the nitric acid fumes.

Today I spent some time on youtube looking at other peoples success and failures. There is some cool stuf out there.

As with the Sub-Zero kit, be careful and selective about what you see and/or believe on YouTube. :roll: Some of the videos are just plain crap and some, like the ones done by some of our very own illustrious members, are spot on and extremely instructional. Be cautious and if in doubt, ask questions HERE!

Hey All,
I have finished my 1st round of nitric acid with a small set of boards. The boards have stopped reacting with the nitric acid so I decanted the acid and have washed the flakes several times with distilled water. Now I am going to make my AR and dissolve the gold flakes. I would also like to throw my filters in as well. Is there a proper amount of AR I should make? I figure an easy way would be to fill the beaker with hcl and then slowly add nitric acid to it. That way I can be sure all the nitric acid gets used up before adding more. Sound like a god plan?

flakes1.jpg

Joe

Butcher,
Just saw your post about the hydrogen peroxide. I would love to do this on the cheap and less toxic path. I will read up and do an experiment it that direction.
Joe

Thats a nice amount of foils. 100ml of HCL should do it. I wouldn't even add nitric for foils. A tiny amount of 20% peroxide or clorox will work nicely. If you are going to use nitric add in very small amounts. I'm talking literally by the drop for those foils. Good work 8)

Hi Joe!
Try this as a guide:

) Dissolve gold in AR solution. (80% HCI / 20% Nitric. Apply heat)
(Hoke states, 4 fl oz HCI (muratic acid) + 1fl oz HNO3 (nitric acid) will dissolve 1 troy oz of gold. This is equivalent to 31ml of HCI + 8ml of HNO3 per gm of gold.

Take care!

Phil

Thanks for all the help,
I added my flakes to about 8oz of HCL and 3 oz of CL. I am going to let it sit overnight and check in the morning. In the bicture below is my HCL/CL and some nitric working on a fresh batch.

hclcl.jpg

I like the pretty yellow color.

Just for fun do some experimenting with the stannous chloride test, remember you may have to let excess chlorine gas fume off before seeing the reaction.

Looks like we have a new member that listens and learns,the potential for a valuable member well done 8)

I am confused,
Tonight I made a little batch of copperas + water + hcl. I hope I bought the right stuff (blush). I was going to use this to start the precipitation process in my gold solution. I tested my solution prior to the addition of the copperas and it was purple and ultimately turned black. After adding the coperas, nothing happened and now, the solution is turning green when I test it.

The copperas I bought were:
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/1741-soil-conditioners-smlpk/109871.html

Here is a picture of my current test.
greenTest.jpg

What did I do wrong? Did I ruin my solution?

Joe

The violet test using stannous chloride, before you added copperas, tell us you had gold in solution (which we already knew), but it also told us you did not over use on the oxidizer (or the tin chloride would have not reduced the gold to the purple color), it also proved to you your stannous chloride solution is good and working.

I am assuming here you just added copperas to a small test sample, and then retried the stannous chloride test on this same test solution, and did not see a reaction with the tin (violet color reaction).

Were the copperas (ferrous sulfate crystals) green (fresh) or were they brown (oxidized)?

If you had a few drops of gold in solution in a spot plate, and added fresh copperas crystal, you would see a brown ring (gold precipitate), this is also a test for gold in solution (similar to the stannous chloride test for gold), copperas reduces gold to metal, so trying the stannous test after using copperas on this solution would not show a violet reaction, as the gold is already reduced to metal by the iron in the copperas (ferrous sulfate crystal).

The green can come from iron (in the iron sulfate crystal) (copperas) and the chloride solutions, iron replaces the gold in solution.

If the copperas crystals are brown I would not try and precipitate gold with them, the copperas oxidizes in air and will not work well to precipitate gold.

You can make your own copperas fairly easily, and have a supply of beautiful green crystals to work with, I can explain how I make mine out of transformer laminates and dilute sulfuric acid, or a search you should also be able to find it.

I do not know for sure I understood your question or if you can understand how I explained this if not maybe someone can word it better.

Butcher,
Thanks again for the insightful response. My copperas are a pale green, they look like these:
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/028/588/438/438588028_933.jpg

Based on Hoke's formula and me hoping I had a .25oz of gold in my solution. I mixed up .25 of a lb of copperas with .25 of a litre of water. My current batch is a sample batch, so I added that amount to my whole batch. I wish I had pulled some aside to test. I never saw a brown cloud form and nothing has precipitated. The solution is still a deep gold color and clear.

As I understand this reaction, the iron is going to replace the au in my solution. That way the au can fall out. I know other reactions require the solution to be saturated with some materials in order to push others out.

I guess my questions are:
Why didn't anything precipitate from my solution?
Did I mess up this batch too?
Will heating it up help? All my work has been done at room temperature.

Joe

Latest posts

Back