Step by step cat refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimdoc said:
With a current average value of $21,426 per metric ton for the three grade types (based on March 13, 1998 prices
Jim
I took these figures and corrected them for today's prices for Pt and Pd (leaving out the Rh). I used the ratio of Pt to Pd at 1000 ppm for Pt and 200 ppm for Pd based on the data provided.

I come up with an average value of $23.32 per pound of CAT material. So if a CAT averages about 2 pounds of material, they should have an average of $46.64 worth of just Pt and Pd, not counting the Rh.

You understand that most "pre" cats have even less than a pound of matrix.
So, if you have some of those in the pile, this will tend to drive your average down....not to mention the stainless ones that are out there now.
Randy

I did the calculations based on per pound of CAT honeycomb or beads, not on the weight of the full CAT. What did your reference to stainless mean?

By stainless he probably meant these;

http://www.catmax.net/galleryCat.php?setID=10

They are totally different than the honeycomb and bead
types. Most places don't buy them, or price them very low.
Jim

That's right. Alot of the newer vehicles have them now.
Unless you know what you are looking at, they basically look the same from the outside.
Looking in one end you can see how they spiral around. Like they are wound. Not like the square patern of the ceramic types.

You could also scratch one end (inside) with a screwdriver and see they are metal.
Randy

I'm familiar with them, I call them wire, or corrugated. At one time when things were really crazy I was getting about $20.00 each for them.

Back