Strange behaviour from AgNO3 solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The room temp solution (400ml) came from nitric parting during dissolution of inquarted gold jewellery and contains plenty of free nitric.

I added some cement silver shot and and some cement silver powder (approc 10 g) with the intention of using up / some of the free nitric. I had expected the powered silver to react quite vigorously so added slowly but i saw no discernible reaction at all. No fumes or bubbles - nothing. The silver just sat there and so i would stir it up well a couple of times a day as a curiosity over the past 4 days or so.

This seemingly inert silver would need filtering off anyway so i decided to cement on copper and process all of the solids in one go.

It cemented beautifully with a single copper baton - no fumes, no bubbles just a lovely gentle cementation. Then i decided to add 2 more batons just to speed the cementation along.

From here on it got puzzling. The nitric 'woke' up after approx 5 mins. Strong fumes and vigorous outgassing from the previously sedate silver cement. I withdrew the copper and since then the nitric is chewing its way through the cemented silver and the perviously added shot and powder.

I have never seen it work this way. Is there a quantitiy of copper that acts as a catalyst somehow or was this this just a delayed, inevitable reaction that would sustain itself when there was enough cement silver for the nitric to work on?

Silver wouldn't be my first choice to add to deplete the nitric. Copper consumes more acid while putting less metal into solution. So copper will eat up the free nitric "more efficiently". It is not unusual for a reaction to take a while to kick off. When you added a small amount of copper the reaction was less violent because the surface area was limited. It increased proportionally when you added more copper and increased the surface area of copper to react.

Thanks, that makes sense.
The silver was to hand and not really enough by weight to do anything appreciable with. My thinking was add the cement silver with the aim of converting to chlorides. As it had not been consumed i went with cementation.
I am still very much a rookie.
I have refined but i am not a refiner yet.

Latest posts

Back