Testing the purity of zinc

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like some magnesium how much are you selling it for ?
By the way I would use pennies, AA,AAA,C,or D size (not alkaline) battery casings for zinc unless I could find a cheaper and or larger source for zinc metal.

jimdoc said:
Run flat tires are supposed to have magnesium inside there, I haven't seen any. Still looking for one to come into the junkyard.
Jim

When I took that last load of aluminum into the scrap yard, there was a partial case from a 4x4 transfer case that was magnesium. Wished I had kept it now I'm on the hunt.

The old lawn boy mowers had a mag deck, some chainsaws are also made from mag especially the older ones.

Regards
G

solar seeker said:
I would like some magnesium how much are you selling it for ?
By the way I would use pennies, AA,AAA,C,or D size (not alkaline) battery casings for zinc unless I could find a cheaper and or larger source for zinc metal.

You can try Rotometals for zinc,that is where I bought mine.They have free shipping sometimes if you spend like $99.I think I got around 60 lbs. of zinc
http://www.rotometals.com/

Jim

That's a good company which I'll begin looking into when I get skilled enough at recycling e scrap that I begin making money instead of losing it on the cost of chemicals.

The key is saving up enough to make a batch worth while.
I save up my fingers until I have at least a kilogram,but
usually 5 lbs.Testing is one thing,but small batches are too
easy to not see your results,or be very disappointed in them
and lose interest.

Jim

All fingers are not created equal. Even in a generic desktop computer you will get great variation just in your expansion cards. A video card will yield better than most, and double the yield of some. Speaking of fingers and desktops, if all fingers are well trimmed the ram will beat them all based on starting mass.

I have not tried to do quantitative yields so I am more than willing to accept corrections here from those that have. These are just general observations based on yields from mixed lots that have run higher or lower as to the finger source materials. I typically refine fingers on a percentage so I get mixed lots.

Magnesium oxidizes in atmosphere dark gray, aluminum or zinc does not oxidize the same.

http://www.weld-direct.com/base.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=jEv3FdDeu4sC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=magnesium+tin+aluminum++identification&source=bl&ots=y-ju_vc4Ho&sig=IA4zBFb2aq2Eioi3wW97IfHmeDg&hl=en&ei=Y89bTI7XBIu6sQObq5TsDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CC8Q6AEwBzge#v=onepage&q=magnesium%20tin%20aluminum%20%20identification&f=false
see page 10

solar seeker said:
So how much gold can be expected from 5lbs of fingers ?

It has been stated at 1-3 grams per lb for clean cut fingers.
I have averaged 2 grams per lb.So for 5 lbs of fingers I would
expect about 10 grams of gold.It takes me 6 months to a year
to save up enough fingers for a batch,since they are all free.

I was saying that small batches of say a few ounces of fingers
will not yield an amount to be worth processing.In both chemicals
and your time.Unless you are just in the testing phase.
On small amounts of some scrap,like cell phone boards you may
not even see your gold.

Jim

Latest posts

Back