The right path?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoMole

Supporting Member
I have some gold filled jewelry that I would like to refine at some point in the future. Over the last two weeks I have read enough from the forum to create a plan that may be feasable. I think I can use AP to dissolve the base metals and then use HCL/BLEACH to further refine the gold before melting. I have much to learn before attempting such a feat but before I invest a bunch of time researching that approach I would like to know if I am on the right path?
I have some restrictions to deal with, mostly location, location, location. I like the AP because it seems safer than AR and less expensive than nitric even though it may not be the "best" way. Time is not a factor for me at this stage.

Thoughts, ideas, and opinions are welcome.

IdahoMole said:
I have some gold filled jewelry that I would like to refine at some point in the future. Over the last two weeks I have read enough from the forum to create a plan that may be feasable. I think I can use AP to dissolve the base metals and then use HCL/BLEACH to further refine the gold before melting. I have much to learn before attempting such a feat but before I invest a bunch of time researching that approach I would like to know if I am on the right path?
I have some restrictions to deal with, mostly location, location, location. I like the AP because it seems safer than AR and less expensive than nitric even though it may not be the "best" way. Time is not a factor for me at this stage.

Thoughts, ideas, and opinions are welcome.

Yes, it's off-path from the usual way everyone here does their goldfilled. Which is usually:
-*nitric to dissolve base metals
*rinse til color is gone
*incinerate
*AR

Or
(if stainless)
-*reverse AR to remove base

I do believe i have read somewhere by someone (i want to say Harold, buy i feel thats not quite right..) that they threw their stainless gf into their stock pot or AP bucket

Also read where someone was trying their sulfuric cell.

AP will work.. But it will take *forrrevvverrrr*.. If you have an air bubbler it will help, but it may still take weeks instead of hours/days (start to finish)

What base metals are you dealing with?
What total weight of the caps are you processing?
It would certainly be in your best interest to do the tedious task of removing the goldfilled caps from the bands. It sucks, snd it takes forever in its on right.. But, it will definitely help you out immensely.

Also. -Incinerate-Incinerate-Incinerate.

Watches are subjected to grease and grime and blood and sweat and tears... None of those oily substances (except tears..that just rolled off the fingertips) will do you *any* favors in *any* process you choose.

-toph

Topher_osAUrus said:
Or
(if stainless)
Reverse AR doesn't remove the base metal. It works when stainless steel is the base metal because the high level of nitric keeps the stainless passivated. The gold dissolves, leaving the base metal intact.

Dave

IdahoMole said:
I like the AP because it seems safer than AR and less expensive than nitric even though it may not be the "best" way. Time is not a factor for me at this stage.
Underline added. I can relate to this way of thinking. However the chosen process does need to work as well. I am not certain AP would do the job in even an awfully long time, especially if it has to penetrate 1/10 GF.

If you don't want to handle nitric acid, and fair enough, you might consider Poor Man's Aqua Regia; using hydrochloric plus sodium (or potassium) nitrate. A bit of a search will show the way. It'll be slow too; you will probably mow your lawn before it's finished.

There is also no reason a sulfuric cell would not work quite well too, but again, you're looking at fairly unforgiving acid there.

Welcome to the forum.

jason_recliner said:
There is also no reason a sulfuric cell would not work quite well too, but again, you're looking at fairly unforgiving acid there.
A sulfuric stripping cell will not work well on gold filled. It will dissolve the relatively pure gold from a plated item, but the gold layer on gold filled is an alloy.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
Or
(if stainless)
Reverse AR doesn't remove the base metal. It works when stainless steel is the base metal because the high level of nitric keeps the stainless passivated. The gold dissolves, leaving the base metal intact.

Dave

Yes!

I forgot a word or 3

"Reverse ar will remove the base metal in which the gold is plated upon to bond to the stainless"

I hope i got it right there :lol:

And, I read a thread from back in 2007 where a guy was using his sulfuric cell to do goldfilled, and i want to say lazersteve was doing experiments with it as well.
-but, i dont think it was as easy/time effective/cost effective as nitric.

Otherwise. I think we would have seen/read about a lot more people doing it... But, I could (probably am) be mistaken, as i read that months agoz and it was on page 1 or 2 of chemical processes or techniques

Toph

FrugalRefiner said:
jason_recliner said:
A sulfuric stripping cell will not work well on gold filled. It will dissolve the relatively pure gold from a plated item, but the gold layer on gold filled is an alloy.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I can see now why that was wrong.

Topher still not right, because stainless passivates in nitric you start your solution off as nitric to which you add small increments of hydrochloric to dissolve the gold and its alloying metals, you only add hydrochloric in very small amounts to avoid the stainless starting to dissolve as stainless will readily dissolve in it, you may dissolve a little stainless at the end of the process but if done correctly it is only a very small amount.

Hi Topher - sorry mate but you're way off base with this reverse AR thing, go do some more reading on it because the principle of it has nothing relevant to gold filled. 8) 8)

Jon

Thanks for the input everyone.
I have just over 100 grams of 1/20, 10k and 12k scrap. Mostly watch bands. I did strip them all and yes they were grungy! It's not allot I know but I am just looking to do some testing.
It sounds like AP is not the way to go. I don't see any way to do nitric where I live so I will put my thinking cap back on and do some more study.

Latest posts

Back