The stock pot or not ??????

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the plated materials in the stock pot coming along ?
I would like to ask about the halide containers , what waste goes in there ?

P.S a container ( barrel ,bucket, etc) of conac would be ok with me I would happily clean out space in the garage for it.
The plated stuff is digesting well but its getting burried in copper cement. What's happening (or so I am assuming) is that the most reactive metals saturate the solution dropping out copper. I've thought about removing the copper pipes to dissolve away the copper cement but then I'd risk undersaturation. I've just been stirring it up everytime I change it and it seems to be doing the trick.

The halide vessel basically gets any waste with chlorides, iodides or flourides. Mostly waste AR and HCl . It should only concentrate gold, platinum, rhodium and little silver as halides and sulphides. The Non-halide vessel mostly collects silver, palladium and some colloidal Gold that slips through. Trying to separate silver, gold and palladium once you introduce a chloride is rough, takes a lot of time and I'm not that experienced to avoid significant loss of values.

The plated stuff is digesting well but its getting burried in copper cement. What's happening (or so I am assuming) is that the most reactive metals saturate the solution dropping out copper. I've thought about removing the copper pipes to dissolve away the copper cement but then I'd risk undersaturation. I've just been stirring it up everytime I change it and it seems to be doing the trick.

The halide vessel basically gets any waste with chlorides, iodides or flourides. Mostly waste AR and HCl . It should only concentrate gold, platinum, rhodium and little silver as halides and sulphides. The Non-halide vessel mostly collects silver, palladium and some colloidal Gold that slips through. Trying to separate silver, gold and palladium once you introduce a chloride is rough, takes a lot of time and I'm not that experienced to avoid significant loss of values.
Plated items most likely contained zinc. ,
Getting clearer
Waste AR and HCl in one container
Waste Silver Solutions in another
Label containers

Plated items most likely contained zinc. ,
Getting clearer
Waste AR and HCl in one container
Waste Silver Solutions in another
Label containers
Yes, that'll work but keep the H2SO4 and tap water out of your silver solutions. When you go to process the AR/HCl container sediments you'll need to roast off the sulphides and zinc before taking it to the chemical bench. Just painful mistakes I've made along the way. Let us know how this works out for you.

What's happening (or so I am assuming) is that the most reactive metals saturate the solution dropping out copper.
My guess is that you had iron components in there.
Copper will cement out on more reactive metals, it has nothing to do with saturation of salt in solution, only with the reactivity series.
This is leaving your AP with cemented copper and (probably) iron chloride that will now act as a leach. As any copper salt will be displaced as long as there is metal iron or such reactive base metals in the container. I've had this a couple times with various pins.

Yes, that'll work but keep the H2SO4 and tap water out of your silver solutions. When you go to process the AR/HCl container sediments you'll need to roast off the sulphides and zinc before taking it to the chemical bench. Just painful mistakes I've made along the way. Let us know how this works out for you.
Unless you want to convert silver chloride with the iron - sulfuric acid method.

Latest posts

Back