Thoughts about stripping/deplating circuit boards.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the idea spinning in my skull that there should be a way to effectively use a stripping cell to deplate circuit boards. I know it can be done by a tedious process of using something like a pin probe anode contact. I've seen people doing that on video, but it takes forever! Also, it's kind of risky since the plated material has to be in the electrolyte while the user uses a probe to make electrical contact with the plated surface. I much prefer keeping my hands farther away from the acid!

What has come to mind is to make a sort of clamping rig out of plastic where the circuit board can be sandwiched in it with copper wool on the plated surface. The copper wool would be the anode contact and the plastic clamp would keep it pressed to the plated parts of the circuit board. The entire thing could then be laid into the cell. Deplating should only take a few seconds.

Does this seem doable?

I've had the idea spinning in my skull that there should be a way to effectively use a stripping cell to deplate circuit boards. I know it can be done by a tedious process of using something like a pin probe anode contact. I've seen people doing that on video, but it takes forever! Also, it's kind of risky since the plated material has to be in the electrolyte while the user uses a probe to make electrical contact with the plated surface. I much prefer keeping my hands farther away from the acid!

What has come to mind is to make a sort of clamping rig out of plastic where the circuit board can be sandwiched in it with copper wool on the plated surface. The copper wool would be the anode contact and the plastic clamp would keep it pressed to the plated parts of the circuit board. The entire thing could then be laid into the cell. Deplating should only take a few seconds.

Does this seem doable?
What are you going to strip?
The Gold or components?
If you are talking of a Sulfuric stripping cell the concentrated Sulfuric would not react with the Copper.
For other cells the Copper will probably dissolve.

It's a sulfuric stipping cell to strip gold plate. The copper wool is simply to provide anode contact with the cold plated portions of an otherwise bare (components already removed) circuit board. Right now, I'm using AP to dissolve base metals and release gold foils and that works, but I'm simply exploring the possibility of using a stripping cell to do the same job.

It's a sulfuric stipping cell to strip gold plate. The copper wool is simply to provide anode contact with the cold plated portions of an otherwise bare (components already removed) circuit board. Right now, I'm using AP to dissolve base metals and release gold foils and that works, but I'm simply exploring the possibility of using a stripping cell to do the same job.
The stripping cell is not suited to depopulate as it will foul quickly.
Better depopulate with other means.
I'm still not convinced it is a good idea for whole PCBs.

I would NOT be using the stripping cell to depopulate. The circuit board would not have any components on it whatsoever. Only the gold plating on contacts and traces is of any interest in this process. I use other means to strip components off of the boards.

Latest posts

Back