A gallery of home built hoods and fume scrubbers _hood_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read one of your thread posted in 2009, about a built-in eductor packing tower scrubber, same as which you mentioned in this thread, but at that time, the cylinder train, which could neutralize most of the NOx fume, was not counted.
I am not sure what thread you are referring to here. In any scrubber the time the fume spends in contact with the scrubber fluid is what is used to figure out the flow the scrubber can handle. I am not sure what you mean by cylinder train.

I am not sure what thread you are referring to here. In any scrubber the time the fume spends in contact with the scrubber fluid is what is used to figure out the flow the scrubber can handle. I am not sure what you mean by cylinder train.
The old posted about built-in eductor packing tower is here : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/new-fume-scrubber-design-_fumescrubber_.22553/post-236355

And i thought the 3 scrubbing cylinders below called cylinder-train (flask train)

Back to my question, i wonder if i could replace the reservoir on the right of the picture by the packing tower in your old post?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241025_092851_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241025_092851_Samsung Internet.jpg
    99.4 KB
Back to my question, i wonder if i could replace the reservoir on the right of the picture by the packing tower in your old post?
The designs differ in that the design from a 2011 thread uses a packed tower over the vacuum reservoir. The tower is larger and can support more CFM airflow and as such scrub multiple reactions. Plus the packed tower is not full of solution, the gas flows up through the tower and scrubber water flows down over the packing. Because the wetted surfaces of the tower packing offer more surface area when the gas travels over wetted but not submerged packing, I would say the design from 2011 will be more efficient. The design also pressurizes the reservoir forcing the fume up through the packing after it passes through the reservoir. The 3 cylinder design sucks air through the cylinder by vacuum.

The smaller 3 cylinder scrubber in this thread is for smaller operations, most of which are hobby refiners not needing the scrubbing capacity and more important not having the space the 2011 design takes up in their refining space.

One design uses a venturi to pressurize the tower and force the scrubbed air out through the top and the 3 cylinder design uses a venturi to suck gas through flooded cylinders before it enters the reservoir.

Your choice of scrubbing style will depend on what you are doing and quantity of work you process, you are a new member here so we do not know much about your intentions or existing setup. Welcome to the forum.

The designs differ in that the design from a 2011 thread uses a packed tower over the vacuum reservoir. The tower is larger and can support more CFM airflow and as such scrub multiple reactions. Plus the packed tower is not full of solution, the gas flows up through the tower and scrubber water flows down over the packing. Because the wetted surfaces of the tower packing offer more surface area when the gas travels over wetted but not submerged packing, I would say the design from 2011 will be more efficient. The design also pressurizes the reservoir forcing the fume up through the packing after it passes through the reservoir. The 3 cylinder design sucks air through the cylinder by vacuum.

The smaller 3 cylinder scrubber in this thread is for smaller operations, most of which are hobby refiners not needing the scrubbing capacity and more important not having the space the 2011 design takes up in their refining space.

One design uses a venturi to pressurize the tower and force the scrubbed air out through the top and the 3 cylinder design uses a venturi to suck gas through flooded cylinders before it enters the reservoir.

Your choice of scrubbing style will depend on what you are doing and quantity of work you process, you are a new member here so we do not know much about your intentions or existing setup. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you so much for sharring these, 4metals.
Since I'm learning from scratch, its better to start with small setup first.
For short introduction, im from Vietnam, a saleguy of a diamond wholesale, in my local and most part of my country, nearly no one use fume hood for refinery. I recently have visited two big jewery companies and witness refining of 15kg of polishing dust, i directly saw they proceed the work without fume hood, gas mask, and just letting the toxic fume floating around the rooftop. After coming back, I decided to find a way to start building the thing right, first to study, then will start up a business, who know!
[Belows are some pictures where the works took place]

So its my pleasure to know this forum and great teacher are ready to help.

Thank you for your time.
Lam

Attachments

• 20240723_091255.jpg
    20240723_091255.jpg
    2.3 MB
  • 20240723_093659.jpg
    20240723_093659.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • 20240723_115629.jpg
    20240723_115629.jpg
    1.3 MB
  • 20240724_145930.jpg
    20240724_145930.jpg
    1.1 MB
Last edited:
Without vacuum filtration and a crude setup, you should inquire if they want to sell their residues after refining. You can make a lot of money properly refining refining residues that have been poorly processed.

The purple coloration on the equipment is what residue from red rouge polishing dust looks like. Do they burn it before they put it in acid?

Thank you so much for sharring these, 4metals.
Since I'm learning from scratch, its better to start with small setup first.
For short introduction, im from Vietnam, a saleguy of a diamond wholesale, in my local and most part of my country, nearly no one use fume hood for refinery. I recently have visited two big jewery companies and witness refining of 15kg of polishing dust, i directly saw they proceed the work without fume hood, gas mask, and just letting the toxic fume floating around the rooftop. After coming back, I decided to find a way to start building the thing right, first to study, then will start up a business, who know!
[Belows are some pictures where the works took place]

So its my pleasure to know this forum and great teacher are ready to help.

Thank you for your time.
Lam
Are you doing this in a residential building in a city?
The fumes may weaken and maybe even destroy the structures over time.
There should not even be a smell of acids if you do it like this.
Concrete and any exposed metal are attacked by the fumes from HCl and in time it may start eating at the rebars as well.
If you are working like this you will need an oversized scrubbing system to ensure nothing leaves the "building"
Another thing is that you need a separate room/space for mixing and pouring the acids and that needs to be included in the scrubbed air.

Latest posts

Back