Unsure where to take this next.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sancho_n_Pedro

Supporting Member
Hi,
So I did a large portion of silver collecting and deflated all I could using the H2O method of electrolysis. This resulted in the following black sludge (emptied into beaker from filter paper).
I also had some silver switch connectors (some on brass, some on copper) along with a fair amount of silver plated aluminium rods (from inside 5G telecom boxes). These went into a AP mix with a bubbler, but when I checked, I had the following, and I'm now unsure how to proceed to clear this blue sludgePXL_20240914_150518891.jpg1000009316.jpg
Now I did plan no putting the black stuff into a sulphuric acid mix (not pure as I can't get hold of it), which is a drain cleaner mortar cleaner - approx 20% strength) and heat this to force the acid to dissolve the black that I got from the deplating sessions.

Can you offer any advice on:
1. What it looks like that I have?
2. How to treat each?

Sorry if I made a real mess here, I thought I was following what I had seen on the various pages on here, but looks like I messed up.

1000009314.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
So I did a large portion of silver collecting and deflated all I could using the H2O method of electrolysis. This resulted in the following black sludge (emptied into beaker from filter paper).
I also had some silver switch connectors (some on brass, some on copper) along with a fair amount of silver plated aluminium rods (from inside 5G telecom boxes). These went into a AP mix with a bubbler, but when I checked, I had the following, and I'm now unsure how to proceed to clear this blue sludgeView attachment 64857View attachment 64856
Now I did plan no putting the black stuff into a sulphuric acid mix (not pure as I can't get hold of it), which is a mortar cleaner - approx 20% strength) and heat this to force the acid to dissolve the black that I got from the deplating sessions.

2. How to treat each?

Sorry if I made a real mess here, I thought I was following what I had seen on the various pages on here, but looks like I messed up.

View attachment 64855
One thing I see.
Aluminum and HCl do not play well, it dissolves.
And if it is not filtered immideareky it forms this gelly mud that is hard to deal with.
Nitric and Aluminum on the other hand poses no problem since it passifies.
Too late now I guess.
Try to roast it and see if it dissolves in water after.

Yes roast or rinse if possible until neutral ph. Needs to be tested for PH value.
Just because clear water does not mean you washed all the salt out.
Then go nitric route like starting over again with nitric only.
The remainder powder solids I would still treat with lye and sugar, thinking you may have possibly converted some to silver chloride with air bubbling through acid AP.

Hi,
I also had some silver switch connectors (some on brass, some on copper) along with a fair amount of silver plated aluminium rods (from inside 5G telecom boxes). These went into a AP mix with a bubbler, but when I checked, I had the following, and I'm now unsure how to proceed to clear this blue sludgeView attachment 64857View attachment 64856
Now I did plan no putting the black stuff into a sulphuric acid mix (not pure as I can't get hold of it), which is a mortar cleaner - approx 20% strength) and heat this to force the acid to dissolve the black that I got from the deplating sessions.

2. How to treat each?

View attachment 64855
Not really sure if Sulfuric acid is sold as mortar cleaner. HCl is usually the choice for mortar, as it is a lot cheaper, but also corresponds with the 20% solution, where as Sulfuric is usually used for drain cleaning predominately (and refining, as well as a lot of other uses ), in the 97% strength. Just saying, mind your p's and q's in chemistry

Not really sure if Sulfuric acid is sold as mortar cleaner. HCl is usually the choice for mortar, as it is a lot cheaper, but also corresponds with the 20% solution, where as Sulfuric is usually used for drain cleaning predominately (and refining, as well as a lot of other uses ), in the 97% strength. Just saying, mind your p's and q's in chemistry
Yeah, I got that the wrong way around. I have HCL (Mortar cleaner) and Sulfuric (drain cleaner). Thanks for pointing that out. Also updated the original post to show this (left the original bit in but on strikethrough).

Last edited:
Back