very low yields on pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Steyr (though you were from Austria hehe, nice gun btw.),
sorry I am using this term IT pins and I may be the onyl one who does. It is just because IT industry is different from mil. or industrial electronics.
We all want the latest computer and we want it cheap!
That is why those friendly people over there in Taiwan and China, who mainly design and produce these products are striving for cost reductions day an night.
As a result, the gold platings on IT hardware has been reduced to a minimum, if any over the times. It all adds up. And the big driver is the price.
Which is different if you think of airplanes, medical device or expensive industrial machines. There reliability is the utmost factor, quantities are low.
That is why you are more likely to have thick platings on f.i. military electronics than on IT hardware, toys or household goods. Pins from IT procducts are usually very low in PM content, that´s why I like to call them "IT Pins", because someone may read this thread and think that these low numbers are the same for all types of contacts.
As for the XRF - I am not expert on that. I know a lab that does the testings for me - sometimes :)
Two things are to consider. The button should be homogenous, so all material is all over it and not just in one spot. Then some metals such as palladium have a high melting point (1700°C). So they may not alloy if you melt them at 1060°C which is good enough for gold. If they dont alloy, they may not be visible to the XRF, because they dont mix with the rest of the material. That is my theory. The experts here may be able to clearify what a good probe needs to be made of to return appropriate results.

Marcel

Marcel said:
IT industry is different from mil. or industrial electronics

This is without a doubt. I have a few hundred pound of industrial boards and I would hate to sell the for what the buyers want to pay.
These are the ones I strip and refine only way to get the most money.
Eric

thanks guys
still havn't got to more pins i will soon

i can tell u my guy with the xrf hit my 21 gram nugget
in many different ways filed,drilled,scratched and still
came up with less than ......it says n/a so there is gold or it wouldnt say n/a
so 30 grams of pins melted for 10 or so min = 21 grams=70% copper and 30% zinc

so maybe my yeilds are close meaning i am a master refiner!!! :lol:
just kidding, maybe another 30 years :shock:

thanks steyr223 rob

If its one of the portable hand held XRFs it could be that it can't detect gold at such a low ppm. They make many different models of XRFs that vary in price and accuracy. The reason I say this is, I use to have access to the large XRF in the analysis lab before I got promoted and changed facilities. With the larger ones you will never get just 2 metals on the report, no matter how pure you think it may be. Because if your getting gold foils then there is definitely gold there.

Thad

What about ball milling the pins? The soft gold may be milled off by the hard base material?
The sulfur cell is too dangerous for me :)

Latest posts

Back