• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

wanted used old watch batteries.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually customs fees and fines
Those batteries are classified as hazardous waste that "might" contain mercury, which will lead to fines if discovered but not declared.
Not to mention their regulated PM waste, which is required to be declared at time of shipping, or risk violating more shipping regulations.
here is the first link I found;
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/sectors/129696.aspx
followed by;
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/sectors/32447.aspx
List (pdf) of controlled material;
http://a0768b4a8a31e106d8b0-50dc802554eb38a24458b98ff72d550b.r19.cf3.rackcdn.com/LIT_8477_272604.pdf
The actual regulation;
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_190/l_19020060712en00010098.pdf

Finally the US regulations;
http://www.epa.gov/waste/hazard/international/imp-exp.htm

Remember ALL packages get x-rayed if they ship by air.
I could be interpreting the laws wrong, but I wouldn't risk it. The EPA is really cracking down on any/all sources of mercury waste in the US.

Dig around in the regs. Certain hazardous waste aren't really hazardous waste per say. Some are given special treatment because of their recyclable nature. Silver is one of them.

Palladium said:
Dig around in the regs. Certain hazardous waste aren't really hazardous waste per say. Some are given special treatment because of their recyclable nature. Silver is one of them.
But not the mercury.
Silver contained in waste was included in the first pdf and requires paperwork to be "legal" for export.

When I worked at PELCO, we had to remove all silver oxide batteries before we could ship the containing items through any carrier in or outside of the US, but we didn't have to remove any lithium or alkaline batteries.

We had onsite customs inspectors that enforced their regulations at time of shipment since most shipments went to foreign countries, including Europe.
As I said above I could be wrong, but it's not my butt on the line if I'm not. That falls completely on the buyer :shock:
I'm just passing on my first hand experience with the topic above. 8)

My post above addresses your concern, where I listed the UK regulations, I also listed the US regulations.
The laws do concern "any" contained material in the waste, not just one material.

The shipper "must" declare what waste is being shipped to the US or be in violation of laws both here and there. Once the batteries are reported, they "must" be handled by both the shipping country and the receiving country, correct :?:
Both countries have strict regulations on importing/exporting EPA regulated waste, correct :?:

The US ONLY allows unregulated waste trade between North American Countries (Canada and Mexico) all the rest must follow strict laws that restrict the movement of ""MERCURY"" between countries.
Are not "Silver Oxide" batteries laced with mercury :?:

This from wiki;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver-oxide_battery
The zinc corrosion causes electrolysis in the electrolyte, resulting in the production of hydrogen gas, a rise of inner pressure and expansion of the cell. Mercury has been used in the past to suppress the corrosion, despite its harmful effects on the environment.
That little "have to ensure" statement means they have to follow regulations set forth by any country involved.

Where is your supporting government links :?:

edit to add;
also from a different wiki article;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_recycling
European Union

In 2006 the EU passed the Battery Directive of which one of the aims is a higher rate of battery recycling. The EU directive states that at least 25% of all the EU’s used batteries must be collected by 2012, and rising to no less than 45% by 2016, of which, that at least 50% of them must be recycled.[6]

To achieve this goal, it must be possible to remove batteries readily and safely. It is for Member States in EU to ensure that manufacturers design their appliances accordingly. Also, Member States in EU have to ensure that, from 26 September 2009, batteries that have been collected are treated and recycled using the best available techniques. Recycling must exclude energy recovery. For example, a group named ‘Gravita ‘ in India is committed to the employment of environment friendly technologies in solutions for the used Lead-Acid Battery Recycling and Battery Manufacturing Industries, covering Secondary Lead Smelting, Lead Refining, Lead Alloying & Lead Oxides Manufacturing and Lead Pollution Control. They invent Air Filtration, Bag House Filtration equipments, both of them are important aspects of Battery Recycling procedure without which it is not feasible to carry on the process in Green concept.[7]

Here, I found the actual text of the laws I am referring to;
http://www.epa.gov/osw/laws-regs/state/policy/p1104.pdf

Public Law 104–142 104th Congress
(h) SAVINGS PROVISION
.—The Administrator may not take any enforcement action against a person for selling, offering for sale, or offering for promotional purposes to the ultimate consumer a battery or product covered by this Act that was—
(1) purchased ready for sale to the ultimate consumer; and
(2) sold, offered for sale, or offered for promotional purposes without modification.
The preceding sentence shall not apply to a person—
(A) who is the importer of a battery covered by this Act, and
(B) who has knowledge of the chemical contents of the battery when such chemical contents make the sale, offering for sale, or offering for promotional purposes of such battery unlawful under title II of this Act.
Or put simply, Silver oxide batteries that are imported must meet the current EPA regulations, which ban the importation of any battery containing mercury that do not meet US regulations (contained in this article), no matter what reason, as far as refining is concerned.

Thanks niteliteone. I am new to exporting the used watch batteries. Any new info is always welcome.
Thanks again

Global Battery Buyers is a young, energetic, New York-based company determined to balance positive environmental change with maximum profits for our clients.

We’re inspired by the earth. That’s why our first priority is to responsibly recycle all your used silver oxide and button cell batteries. We follow all EPA guidelines for safe handling and batteries disposal without exception.

Button cell batteries are so small, many people think they can be thrown away like regular garbage. But the toxic heavy metals found in those batteries present a serious environmental threat.

Fortunately, some of those metals are valuable and salvageable. While our safe recycling practices keep dangerous materials out of landfills, we can pay you the best price for your used and recyclable batteries.

Through dedication to principles, we believe finding a balance between profit and responsibility is not only possible, but desirable. More and more, business people everywhere understand that a green business is a more efficient and profitable business.

We’re proud of our green ethics and take them very seriously. So Global Battery Buyers pledges to donate a portion of its profits to green charities and to green innovators who are working to increase the efficiency and safety of all recycling processes.

Logo deleted by Harold

Global LLC

Nice to have you on the forum.

Your posting is what we consider spam and it is not allowed. But in your 10 minutes as a member before posting I guess that is hard to figure out. You did post in the wanted section, obviiously because you want members to send you work. If you are pushing your business please remove this post and post in the "Refiners Buyers Assayers etc." section. There you can post rates and other information which our members may find useful. It is totally acceptable to post refining business related solicitations there, and only there.

So please post there and for other forum postings, as I assume you want to participate in the forum, please lose the banner. We will accept a link, but that is all.

has anyone dealt with trader dan on the silver oxide batteries? just curious as i have quite a stash i may be interested in parting with
and his offer is tempting to say the least...

Palladium said:
Daniel is a great guy to work with. I do a lot of his refining work. If he doesn't reply call me Ed and i will give you his number. He's usually pretty busy and doesn't get to the forum like he use to.
thanks a bunch Ralph, if its a recommendation from you i know its good, ill let you know if he doesn't get back to me and give you a call!

made my deal with dan! sent him batteries and some gold plated stuff received my payment day after he got it!!!! look forward to doing more business with him!

Hello i have few pounds of silver oxide batteries can you tell me who would be interested in buying them ?

Back