Washing Question, please help.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whsnare

Ok, I have dropped my gold, it is presently in a mud like state. Upon starting my washes with distilled water, I am finding that my powder is hanging in the water (suspended) and not dropping back down so that it can be decanted easily. I have also tried with tap water. the results are different but still the same problem.

Well, that would defiantly be easier than fill decant fill decant. should i just continue washing it until i feel like i have bypassed 3 washes? Also, am I going to have the same problem when I go to the HCL wash? or should i just run HCL through the filter as well?

thanks for the reply!

I think it's all a matter of hands on experience. By the
way did you test some "mud" with nitric acid? If it is
gold it will not dissolve (do it only after repeating
water washes)

I will test with nitric after the washes on a small batch, thanks for that tip!

any thoughts on doing the HCL wash? I am worried about loosing gold if i dont do it through a filter, but then i would have no way to heat it, is that a huge problem?

Hi

Best thing would be post some pictures of the mud, this will show how clean it is....you never know until you see something...the pic'z are really helpful...

Hi,

Yes I agree. A little more detail on what your doing would help get you your answer. IE: Quantity of powder/mud, size and type of container your using etc…

I have had similar problems like this too. Usually because I was trying to wash a small amount of powder in too big of a container and using way too much water or HLC at a time. The best way I know is to wash and dry your powder in the same container. I probably do small batches compared to most folks here (.5 to 10 grams) but usually I end up dropping my gold in a 2 liter beaker. Let it settle and siphon off the liquid. I then transfer my powder to a 500 – 600 ml beaker that will handle heating.

I follow “Harold’s” washing procedure that’s easily found on this forum using the search function or guided tour links. Take the time and follow his procedure. You won’t be disappointed with the results.

I cover my powders with no more than ½” of water or HCL and do a low boil on each step. Make sure you use a watch glass or a small saucer on your beaker. With the smaller volume of liquid it boils quickly and you will find that it settles a lot faster and cleaner when your solutions are hot. To cool it down faster I use a spray bottle and mist down the inside of my beaker with water. This will clean up any splashes from boiling and will also help drive down the fines that might still be floating.

You will find that siphoning will now be faster and easier. I also siphon all my washes through the same filter. Any fine particles that may have been lost from siphoning should be in your filter. You can then save this filter for later processing. You can then dry your gold in the way that you prefer. I like using a sand bath set on low to medium heat with my beaker slightly tilted. If you try it this way make sure your do your final 3 water washes with distilled water. Your powder has a less tendency to stick to your beaker. Any residue powder that does happen to stick can be easily removed with a small soft paintbrush.

Hope this helps.

Mike

it seems that adding nitric to his washing procedure would be a bad idea that just introduces the chance for loss. Heat your water it will settle faster and just use enough to cover your powder not fill your container.

Eric

Thanks for the help guys, turns out i was not adding enough SMB to the solution before trying to filter. Not dropping all the way to the bottom just till it was floating at the bottom. We are learning over here.

Latest posts

Back