Waste treatement electrolysis

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have wast, which comes from processing gold, silver, etc... which should contain Cu, HNO3, HCl and other metals and probably some Au, Pd, Pt.
I was mistaken, thinking it was solely Silver cell waste. I have never had any luck cementing the copper nitrate with iron for waste treatment when it was solely Silver cell cemented electrolyte. Which is why this thread caught my attention.
I assume the highest percentage of your waste is spent aqua regia.

I was mistaken, thinking it was solely Silver cell waste. I have never had any luck cementing the copper nitrate with iron for waste treatment when it was solely Silver cell cemented electrolyte. Which is why this thread caught my attention.
I assume the highest percentage of your waste is spent aqua regia.
I think so, but if it works with AR wast, it can works with Silver cell as well. Actually, there is another post where people claim to use wast CuNO3 to start the silver cell.

At very high current densities pt could indeed be coerced into solution if available chlorine is high enough. Adding hcl would rob ions from base metals but enough free hcl could take pt ions with current stripping away electrons. It takes 6 chlorine ligands to make one molecule of hexachloraplatinate. The inertness of pt is due to the difficulty in pulling it from itself but high current density should make it possible the same way AR is two powerful acids with the nitric as the oxidizer. In this case the electric is oxidizing.

I could be wrong of course.

Otherwise this is brilliant I had the same idea but have not done experiments. My thought was using copper electrodes so that the solution becomes copper nitrate or copper chloride exclusively and using low current density to preferentially deposit base metals since pure copper solutions can be dried stored and reused.

For this test the real money maker is if you can use the clear solution for some purpose now. Have You checked the PH or are you just planning to neutralize it and dispose of it once cleaned?

Back