What happen?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which is better pick? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=muriatic%20acid&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

None of those are suitable. The "safer" Klean-Strip muriatic is too weak according to the comments. What you want is muriatic of about 31% hydrochloric acid with no additives. Keep looking.

Here's an example of what you want from Loews. Click on Enlarge to read the label. They probably have it at Home Depot but it's not on their website. Any large hardware store would probably have it, often in the paint department. Pool supply stores also. Sears? Walmart? Call around. Avoid brands that say things like "Safer", "low fume", etc. You just want plain old 20 Baume', 31.45% (usually - some brands might vary slightly from this).
http://www.lowes.com/pd_206474-34228-CR.MA.P.01_0

goldsilverpro said:
Here's an example of what you want from Loews. Click on Enlarge to read the label. They probably have it at Home Depot but it's not on their website. Any large hardware store would probably have it, often in the paint department. Pool supply stores also. Sears? Walmart? Call around. Avoid brands that say things like "Safer", "low fume", etc. You just want plain old 20 Baume', 31.45% (usually - some brands might vary slightly from this).
http://www.lowes.com/pd_206474-34228-CR.MA.P.01_0
Thank you. I just saved a bunch of money and I didn't even have to switch geico. I found that same brand at the tracker and supply company. 20 Jaime 31.45 HCL. Cost me like 11.00 a gal soo cheap.

Question how will I know if I got all the base metals out? Like tin, lead and steel from the boiling? Will they dissolve or when I add the sulphuric acid will it drop as white pieces or some other identifiable so I don't metal it back again.

if you can, melt and cast into one piece. it would help if you knew someone that could roll it for you. if not, any machine shop will roll it out for you for a small fee. since its a small amount, you may can sweet talk them into doing it for free if you tell them what its for. as flat as possible. cut into ribbons and give it a hard boil in hcl. this should remove the tin. dont worry about any other base metal. weigh any solids from this and add 3X the weight in silver. digest in 50/50 nitric and water. next time you will know.

o.k here is the update. Since I couldnt get it rolled and cut. I remelted to try and pour thinner pieces. What I notice was that almost all of it melted with propane. Where before I would get molten slush. I notice on the last batch there was some small grains or pebbles with the flakes. When I tried to melt it the grains would amber quick, but wouldnt melt. So all the other piece melted and then created a molten slush. I didnt have 3 time the silver weight I had almost twice the weight. I hope it is enough. Here are some pictures so far.

Attachments

• IMAG1354.jpg
    IMAG1354.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG1356.jpg
    IMAG1356.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
ok, so this is nitric or hcl? if its hcl, it seems as though the tin has been removed.if its nitric,i dont see any metastannic acid.if it IS nitric, i would digest what is there in AR and precipitate the gold from there and start over.

So I guess I should have said that. O.k here is the newest updated. I boiled the metals in 50/50 nitric acid and it dissolved everything. I used 50/50 nitric acid and water total of 24 oz of solution. Now its dark purple. Here is what is left. Why is it dark purple? Is the power gold?

Attachments

• IMAG1361.jpg
    IMAG1361.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 133
  • IMAG1360.jpg
    IMAG1360.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 133
  • IMAG1359.jpg
    IMAG1359.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 133
  • IMAG1358.jpg
    IMAG1358.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 133
  • IMAG1357.jpg
    IMAG1357.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 133
O.k after letting it set. The dark purple on the left only had a alittle water, the one in the middle was very deluted and the blue green one was deluted about three times it's orginal solution. So I have now dumped the darkest solution into a bigger container and add alot of hot water. so here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMAG1364.jpg
    IMAG1364.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • IMAG1366.jpg
    IMAG1366.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
the powder should be gold. the purple can be silver. i didnt know that silver made a purple stain until Harold informed me that it can. test all the solution with stannous chloride to be sure. if you melted the material and did not use any chlorides and only nitric, you should not have dissolved any gold. the glassware that you used, did you use hcl in it before using with the nitric acid? you have to be careful about cross contamination.

Geo said:
the powder should be gold. the purple can be silver. i didnt know that silver made a purple stain until Harold informed me that it can. test all the solution with stannous chloride to be sure. if you melted the material and did not use any chlorides and only nitric, you should not have dissolved any gold. the glassware that you used, did you use hcl in it before using with the nitric acid? you have to be careful about cross contamination.
Test done Qtips turned milky white.

milky white is silver nitrate converting to silver chloride. incinerate before you wash with hcl. remember, you cant wash out the nitric acid even with boiling water.

Ok just so I have it straight I need to decant risen the power. Then I need to cement out the silver ? Remelt all the powder. Do you think there is still tin or lead?

the powder is your gold. that is your main concern. the silver isnt going anywhere. take the powder and rinse in boiling water. dry the powder and incinerate it (bring it to a red hot state) that will remove all the nitrates from the powder. after that, you can rinse with hcl and follow with water. dry and melt the powder into a button and test for purity. after all this, you will have either clean gold or a known metal to work with.

now the silver nitrate solution. filter the solution and rinse water. keep them separated. let it settle if you need to to get the solution clear (transparent). add a heavy piece of copper. the silver will drop out of solution no matter how diluted the solution is.

Geo said:
the powder is your gold. that is your main concern. the silver isnt going anywhere. take the powder and rinse in boiling water. dry the powder and incinerate it (bring it to a red hot state) that will remove all the nitrates from the powder. after that, you can rinse with hcl and follow with water. dry and melt the powder into a button and test for purity. after all this, you will have either clean gold or a known metal to work with.

now the silver nitrate solution. filter the solution and rinse water. keep them separated. let it settle if you need to to get the solution clear (transparent). add a heavy piece of copper. the silver will drop out of solution no matter how diluted the solution is.

Ok I see thanks. That means I should almost be finished this process. Happy New Year.

Back