What kind of hot plate/stove with stirrer to buy?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the 90s, it was fairly uncommon to use magnetic stirrers in chemistry lab. But as the technology of magnets get better, and also we (researchers) started to do smaller sized experiments, magnetic stirplates get more prevalent, and they are now used in 95+% occasions in laboratory for anything. Mechanical stirrers are only used when thick suspensions are experienced.
From the "old times", we have piles of accessories for the overhead "drills" in the lab :) mainly glass or stainless steel stirring "propellers". Also mercury sealed ones, and other prehistoric stuff :) but we do not actually need them anymore.
So I was using some of this for refining in one of my periods, but in quantity I process, it is completely unnecessary to use overhead stirrer. It require correct setup, labstand over the beaker/flask, adjusting everything etc... Compared to just throwing the magnetic stirbar to the beaker... I do not want to use the overhead to the moment I really need to :)

Well I might go by the suggestions, buy hot plate without stirrer, as a hobby there is not needed much power to do low quantity recovery.

I actually think it is a false economy to buy a bit of kit that you know will only last a month or two before crapping out.
Personally, I am happy to pay a little extra for a second-hand professional unit.
A good quality Laboratory hot plate will last decades and give you far greater control over the level of heat you apply.
I have two one old school and one new model never looked back.
Leave the cheap rings for cooking in Hotel Rooms.

Latest posts

Back