What would be the best method to process these?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume they are brass or other yellow copper alloy. I hope they are not melted pins obtained on eBay or elsewhere. If they are, the amount of gold you'll get will likely be very disappointing.

Under normal open lid dissolving, it will take about 3.3 gallons of 67-70% nitric acid. You would need an excellent fume hood to do this.

As GSP said, it looks like brass. Color is dead giveaway. They look too good to be true - you know what I mean if you tried to melt real pins you will see how bars would look in that case.
Even ebay sellers know that is a problem so they usually say that bars were polished which is really funny.

My advice for what it is worth would be to dissolve one in nitric and see what is left, if there is little to nothing then the stockpot seems a good choice, if there is a reasonable amount then you have to decide which route to go.

My opinion is that until you can disclose what they are, an appropriate answer can't, and shouldn't, be forthcoming.

Nick provided the best possible scenario. You can make a determination with little effort and expenditure by pursuing his advice.

If you know the contents of the shown material, you'd be well served to make mention. What you have to process makes a big difference in what method would be best applied.

Harold

This is what he got - picture is identical:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/topshopall/m.html?item=142034148819&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

That particular seller sells hundreds of them on ebay. Few people bothered with feedback and according to some it is just brass and no gold whatsoever.
He still sell them, plenty of people will buy. They look nice as decoration but refining is a waste of time and resources.

patnor1011 said:
This is what he got - picture is identical:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/topshopall/m.html?item=142034148819&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

the yellow illumination on the hand is so colored that the hand of the guy looks gold filled.

You can never go by the color of the picture, these bars don't look so great and they are all high grade doré.

IMG_0121.JPG

I do not know of any good way to buy gold bars without a good old touch and feel and an assay.

Latest posts

Back