Why is my Au/cl2 this color

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeneje

Hello again,

Ok...i tried the hcl cl on these foils today and here is what I got. My solution came out lite green instead of the golden color on Steves video. I used 1/2 HCL and added cl to it slowly and stirred until all the foils were desolved. Then I added 3 times the solution with water, then I tested it with s/c and the color is a deep purple. According to the video it should be gold. Did I do this right.

Thanks
Ken

Attachments

• pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    66.9 KB
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    91.3 KB
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    126.9 KB
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    84.1 KB
Green color indicates that foils were not clean enough, there was still copper present. After you drop gold, wash it properly and it will improve purity.

It appears to me like you have some copper in the solution. You can go ahead with the SMB to precipitate the gold. Once preciptiated, be sure to boil it in HCL and alternate with boiling water at least three times to remove the unwanted metals. The HCL should not change colors once heated when all the base metals are gone.

FWIW
You may also likely have excess chlorine still in solution. You can still precipitate at this point, but will take a lot extra SMB, the gold tends to come down as a VERY fine powder. It also increases your risk of dragging down other base metals.

From my LIMITED experience :
Try heating your solution, & if you catch a whiff (from a safe distance) of chlorine (smells like a swimming pool), try heating until you see a color change - less green, more yellow/golden, the smell of HCl, not chlorine, it is now safe to drop. You will still need to get rid of excess copper in subsequent washes, but that is part of the normal process anyway - that's why you wash it. Adding ice & filtering (careful not to break your pot) will help eliminate any silver, & also the gold to precipitate easier.

Is the creamer in the background for the "coffee" in the carafe? 8)

Please tell me that you just brought the coffee pot inside your kitchen
to just take this picture and that you didn't add SMB inside your home
to drop your gold!! :shock:

Always - SAFETY first boys and girls!!

Yes to the creamer... :lol: and no to added the SMB, it was done outside in the hood. You know one must have coffee during the process and then later a beer. :mrgreen:

No i will asure you all processing is done outside and in a safe way. Thanks for being concerned.

Ken

Latest posts

Back