Why Is The Copper Basket Dissolving In The Sulfuric Cell?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g_axelsson said:
MrMylar said:
If you don't want your copper mesh to dissolve in the sulfuric acid/cell, then you need to fold the lip/top end of the copper at least two(2) times, about 1/4" each turn. Somehow, by doing that step this time, the copper mesh is holding up and my solution isn't getting almost boiling hot like it was doing before. Without folding the copper on the top end, chances are the basket is going to simply fall apart within 1 -3 minutes once the power is applied to it.
That is a detail you never told us before. If we had known the solution became hot then we would have told you that it's a sure way to start dissolving copper.

By folding the copper mesh you probably increased the area that carries current and lowered the power dissipation in the mesh. If you run the cell so hard it becomes boiling hot then you have passed the working temperature with a good margin. I don't remember the correct maximum temperature but you can find it on the forum with a search.

Göran
It makes sense too. sorry about not mentioning the very hot cell. It didn't cross my mind at the time because of the frustration I was dealing with. I'll try to remember ALL details next time.

Thanks again for all the help!

Maximum temperature is about 100-110F (38-43C) to prevent attack on base metals and other problems. The temperature rise is caused by using too much current. For best results, I would recommend a max of about 5 or 6 amps per gallon of solution.

No telling how hot you got it. The boiling point of 98% H2SO4 is about 600F. If you diluted it with 5% water (always pour the acid into the water!), the boiling point would still be over 500F.

Too many amps will chew the copper up badly. Run one or more 12v lights in series with your cell to reduce the amperage.

Latest posts

Back