Yellow/Orange Precipitate help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grfphil

Hi All,

I'm still trying and searching but visuals help best. Here is the result of what I did. I had gold foils I collected from DDR memory sit in 2:1 HCI/Peroxide for 4 days. It became deep dark green. I was excited. I then added Four times the amount of distilled water then slowly added Baking Soda and stirred. Now I have clear liquid on top and this color sludge at bottom. Any ideas or thoughts? I'm not sure. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB
Learn what? I was basically just leaving it in the solution to see what would happen. Then I wanted to dilute it and raise the PH level to neutralize the acid a bit. The baking sofa fell to the bottom like a rock then I stirred it to see what would happen and this is the result. I haven't done s stannuos test yet. Thanks.

Sorry. I'm typing on my phone. I learned the 2:1 process here, the rest I'm just trying things. Is that Gold precipitate? These were foils I took off from an earlier solution of the same thing. I just put them in a new solution and sit for days. The solution all together was about a centimeter high in the jar.

Don't bother with a stannous test it is for acidic conditions.

Find the process you are attempting as described on the forum. Follow them to the letter if you expect success.

Altering the PH just put base metals with your foils, where you didn't want them. Try to follow the plan to completion, the chemicals you are playing with are far to dangerous to just try things.

Thanks. I figured it could have been base metals dissolved. Oh well. I'll try and delete this thread. Thx.

Thanks for the notice in terms of deleting.

I know the first step in getting gold foils off items, I'm posting here because it is a "Help" section. I tried to clean it up and dillute it. I am sure I'm not the first or last. Ii posted this for help on understanding. Did I do something out of line or not recommended? If so, please let me know. I've been searching this forum and again I'm not the first nor last and new. Your comment is not discouraging but not helpful unless you explain what I did wrong you see.

I truly appreciate the help though from above.

when you dissolve metals of a mixed variety and then raise the PH beyond the ability of the acid to hold the metal salts, it will precipitate all the metals out together. when you want to refine, you dissolve these metals and then precipitate them out of solution one at a time to isolate them one from another.then you will have gold without all the contamination. what you did was dissolve the metal and the precipitate all the metal. you are no farther along now then when you first started. you would have been better off cementing your gold out of solution on clean copper and going from there. everyone is telling you to study the process you want to do well before trying it. dont try it first and then have to backtrack to see where you messed up.

Thanks Geo. I'm reading the Hoke PDF before proceeding further. I may just store as much as possible until I'm ready. Thanks.

grfphil,
What I see you did wrong, well from my view you did not spend time studying and following directions, getting an understanding of the process and how it works.

Do you have gold in solution or the powders? I do not know, it kind of looks like rust to me, I do not know what all steps you took to get to this point, and you may have missed other details in the processes, when you said you had a green color when you dissolved the foils (gold in solution should be yellow), and then added baking soda to neutralize, why would you neutralize, we want gold to be acidic as gold chloride solution, then precipitate the gold from this solution with a reagent that will precipitate gold from solution.
Adding backing soda just precipitated everything in the salt water.

Let the powders settle well decant the salt water from the powders, but a bar of copper, and read dealing with waste in the safety section, dry and incinerate the powders, save them in a jar with a lid.

Now study.

You do not have much value in this jar at this point, your real value will come from learning how to recover and refine gold (spend some time reading before jumping in and mixing chemicals together.

grfphil,
this is a harmless mistake, not that big of a problem, but consider this, some of the chemistry we do here with these metals can be very dangerous, and can be formed into explosives, jumping in and trying things you’re not sure of and not following directions with processes could get a person hurt or even killed.

Thanks Butcher, you're right. I am reading now. On page 19 of Hokes book. I think I'm going to store it and read as much as possible. I don't want to do the wrong thing and be safe. I think the safest and best is to read and then try. It's just excitement that makes me curious. I will just study. Thanks for your help again.

He did mention DDR
It took 50 memory sticks to make .6 grams of Au
That is only the close cut fingers not the
board or the ic chips.

You can also go to laser Steve's website and
Watch the movies on gold foils from a/p or close
To that (not sure of title)
You can find the link at the bottom of some of the
Members posts ( called the signature line)
Hope this helps and welcome to the form
Steyr223. Rob

Latest posts

Back