Yielding Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,
What's a typical yield from pinless CPU's? Any good yield with 10lbs of them?
Cheers

I did 120 of the pinless fiberglass bases and if I remember right, I got 10th of a gram of gold. Those tiny little dots were a nightmare to them to fall off after soaking in Hcl for two weeks.

I got the most money from the scrapyard by selling the Cu heat spreaders as #2 copper.

After removing the heatsinks, the cpu weighs next to nothing. Save the heatsinks since those are good copper that can be sold. As for the pinless cpu's, I'm guessing that maybe, on a good day, you can expect nearly 0.00008g per gram of CPU weight.

After removing the heatsinks, the cpu weighs next to nothing. Save the heatsinks since those are good copper that can be sold. As for the pinless cpu's, I'm guessing that maybe, on a good day, you can expect nearly 0.00008g per gram of CPU weight.
Could I ask (genuinely) what you base that number on please?

Jon

From my own measurements, I've found that the heatsink makes up about 85% of the total weight of a CPU that has a heatsink glued to it. So, buying a 10 pound box of CPU's with heatsinks actually gets you about 1.5 pounds of CPU's once you remove the heatsinks. As for the 0.00008g gold per 1g of CPU weight, that's my best guess using results seen from videos by SREETIPS and others on YouTube...some are better than others!

From my own measurements, I've found that the heatsink makes up about 85% of the total weight of a CPU that has a heatsink glued to it. So, buying a 10 pound box of CPU's with heatsinks actually gets you about 1.5 pounds of CPU's once you remove the heatsinks. As for the 0.00008g gold per 1g of CPU weight, that's my best guess using results seen from videos by SREETIPS and others on YouTube...some are better than others!
Many thanks for the straightforward reply. Your calculations suggest 80g of gold per tonne of these processors:

0.00008g per gramme = 0.08g per Kg = 80g per tonne.

That maths is off I'm afraid. You should be looking at more than 4 times the amount.

Edit: if you are suggesting that your 80g per tonne is based upon the weight of the CPU part alone then it's actually much further off because my numbers are based upon the gross weight of the processor complete. i.e. A sack full of complete processors with nothing removed.

Many thanks for the straightforward reply. Your calculations suggest 80g of gold per tonne of these processors:

0.00008g per gramme = 0.08g per Kg = 80g per tonne.

That maths is off I'm afraid. You should be looking at more than 4 times the amount.

Edit: if you are suggesting that your 80g per tonne is based upon the weight of the CPU part alone then it's actually much further off because my numbers are based upon the gross weight of the processor complete. i.e. A sack full of complete processors with nothing removed.
Hmmm... Very interesting! I'll need to keep careful records of my own efforts for sure! Like I said, those were my "guess" from what I've seen on video combined with the weights I got from processors with the heatsink and without the heatsink. I have a batch of processors soaking now to get the base metals out. In a few days, maybe I'll have more concrete numbers of my own.

Hmmm... Very interesting! I'll need to keep careful records of my own efforts for sure! Like I said, those were my "guess" from what I've seen on video combined with the weights I got from processors with the heatsink and without the heatsink. I have a batch of processors soaking now to get the base metals out. In a few days, maybe I'll have more concrete numbers of my own.
To be fair that's why it's hard to make reliable statements about yields based upon other peoples' youtube videos because some people will automatically take that statement as biblical fact. Now if someone has refined a few tonnes of these then it's a more compelling dataset.

Large samples or excellent lab discipline backed by the right equipment. There's way too much variety in ewaste even if its the "same part" because the BOM used varies even year by year or factory to factory too (in the case of ceramic processors.)

Any tips for most efficient way to separate heatsinks? This would open up path to processing at a convenient scale for me - batch size 100 - 1000 chips.

Any tips for most efficient way to separate heatsinks? This would open up path to processing at a convenient scale for me - batch size 100 - 1000 chips.
The copper heatsinks on the backs? Take a chisel or flathead screwdriver, and tap the top of whichever you chose, between the chip and heatsink.

usually heat them on an electric stove, placing the copper side on the stove.
There is also solder inside and sometimes the copper is gilded from the inside.
Recently there was a link to a video where they are processed in a sulfur cell

Back