Yields correct?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Steve. I always hated the "let it settle for 24 hours" rule. It's akin to the "evaporate down to syrup 3 times" rule. I recently dropped 5+ ounces of gold and it settled completely in about 3 hours. It all depends on the purity of your gold and solution and its volume. Think of it this way. Would you need to let a gram of clean gold settle for 24 hours in 50ml of solution?

goldenchild said:
I agree with Steve. I always hated the "let it settle for 24 hours" rule. It's akin to the "evaporate down to syrup 3 times" rule. I recently dropped 5+ ounces of gold and it settled completely in about 3 hours. It all depends on the purity of your gold and solution and its volume.
I have routinely spoken out against time restrictions on functions, and have nothing less than contempt for those who have taken my hard earned knowledge in washing gold and have assigned time to the operations. It sends the wrong signal, that, as if by some magic, a given number of minutes will magically transform dirty gold to pure gold. That simply is not the case, as there are instances where a couple minutes of boiling in HCl will be more than enough, while in other instances an hour may not be enough.

To promote the methods by assigning time is to defeat the purpose of the washes entirely. That makes me look like I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, which is something I strongly resent.

Think of it this way. Would you need to let a gram of clean gold settle for 24 hours in 50ml of solution?
The volume in question rarely has anything to do with the time it takes for the gold to settle. I have witnessed virtually immediate settling in both large and small volumes of gold, just as I have witnessed prolonged settling by large and small volumes of gold. Again, to set a time limit is nonsense. Look at the solution. If there is fine gold in suspension, it stratifies and is readily recognizable as a line that slowly descends to the bottom. When the line is gone, the gold is down. The time it takes is the time it takes---and no one can predict what that may be.

Harold

Latest posts

Back