Crush?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to follow through on my offer to help.

My intention was to do the most rudimentary of tests. I had planned to have the Kid send me a small sample of the melted metal he says he has obtained from his rocks. I planned to try to dissolve a small bit in 50/50 nitric, and another in AR. I would have tested the nitric solution with a drop or two of HCL, and the AR with stannous.

If anyone else is in a position to do this, it could help him know if he has anything of value.

Dave

Unfortunately, I will not be able to follow through on my offer to help.

My intention was to do the most rudimentary of tests. I had planned to have the Kid send me a small sample of the melted metal he says he has obtained from his rocks. I planned to try to dissolve a small bit in 50/50 nitric, and another in AR. I would have tested the nitric solution with a drop or two of HCL, and the AR with stannous.

If anyone else is in a position to do this, it could help him know if he has anything of value.

Dave
Please watch... I did this today from about 20 rocks no bigger than one inch by 3 inches at the largest.
View attachment VID_20240129_212304.mp4

Please watch... I did this today from about 20 rocks no bigger than one inch by 3 inches at the largest.
View attachment 61438
Good morning Guys
Sir Now that are You getting into smelting.
and that is a first step in what You want
to achieve.
Now is the time to get a good course or book on smelting.
because by dealing with melted rocks and metals
with the release of lot of fumes

You may need a good course or Book
that can teach You
to make the necessary arrangement
to do more safe.

You can do it
the right way.
and for doing that, it is great to learn Smelting the right way.
because there is so many thing that can be wrong in one second.

so mastering that art of smelting take time
and study.
but is a time well invested in Your self developed.

Because if You want to continue that pass
You can make a living of that.

I know peoples that making a living
Smelting ore and selling their Dore
to refinners.

they are pros in that art
but they are very discipline and they don’t do shortcut.

doing a shortcut can be very dangerous.

For my self ,I’m very serious when i go to work.
i don’t allows myself to be dealing with a situation that I don’t want to get into for my lack of respect for the job
I’m performing.

when we learn to respect Our Job
in a safe manner
them we can go back home .

that’s the Key in Minning and Smelting

Learn and perform Your Job the best and safe way
possible
Do Your 1000%
in smart way.

them You can get the reward

Last edited:
There are a couple metal ores that will reduce easily from a flame, hence why they were swiftly discovered by ancient civilizations: certain ores of tin, lead, bismuth, and mercury reduce readily, as can antimony sulfide (stibnite, in the presence of iron). Antimony is also sometimes found as native metal.

There are a number of options for what could be reducing from a mystery sulfide.

Again, assay is needed.
Any reason you do not get one?
I can't afford it. I have tried to get ahold of Jason at Mount Baker mining, with no luck. However I take it down yesterday and had to put in a machine had it put in a machine that's supposed to tell you what all's in it. For some reason it said 15%iron and the rest carbon fiber. I think I used to much borax when melting. I have come to the conclusion that I'm just not smart enough to do this and I really just need somebody who knows what they're looking at to look at it. I live in Arlington Washington and I don't even know who to take it to.

There are a couple metal ores that will reduce easily from a flame, hence why they were swiftly discovered by ancient civilizations: certain ores of tin, lead, bismuth, and mercury reduce readily, as can antimony sulfide (stibnite, in the presence of iron). Antimony is also sometimes found as native metal.

There are a number of options for what could be reducing from a mystery sulfide.

View attachment VID_20240201_105636.mp4

Nothing here is hot enough to melt/smelt anything of value.
And get it out of your house man, the fumes will poison you.
PPE for handling molten metals would be needed to melt any good metals.

The only metals melting in these temperatures is Tin, Lead, Mercury (It is liquid) and a few exotic metals.

So as you can see by the video it actually takes quite a bit to melt. As you can see I'm using a propane torch and it takes almost an entire bottle to melt each group of about 5-8 rocks. I have exhausted what little resources I have had. I'm not here asking for a favor like I said I'm just asking somebody to help me for a percentage of what I have. I'm at the point where I'm willing to give somebody $25 if I'm wrong just so they'll look at it lol.

Nothing here is hot enough to melt/smelt anything of value.
And get it out of your house man, the fumes will poison you.
PPE for handling molten metals would be needed to melt any good metals.

The only metals melting in these temperatures is Tin, Lead, Mercury (It is liquid) and a few exotic metals.
It's not in my house it's in my shop

You need to stop fooling yourself.
I don't know how many more times I can tell you guys I know what I have I just don't want to have to process it myself but in case you guys don't believe me I'm going to show you a picture of one of the placer pieces I found.View attachment 60950
You sure know how to make a close up of your face and have something blurry in front of it.
I called them. Thx for the name though.and it's silver with gold and iron. Have you heard of Washington electrum or green gold? that's what I have.
But then why did you need Dave's help to figure out what you have?
Can somebody tell me why when I use borax instead of getting a solid metal I'm getting what looks like gold colored glass when it's done but obviously it's not glass it's the hardened borax. What am I doing wrong or how do I fix that do I just keep burning it until the borax is gone
Because you do not know what you are doing. And you are melting rocks. And you just keep ignoring advice. rock on!

You need to stop fooling yourself.

You sure know how to make a close up of your face and have something blurry in front of it.

But then why did you need Dave's help to figure out what you have?

Because you do not know what you are doing. And you are melting rocks. And you just keep ignoring advice. rock on!
I need a professionally and respected opinion on the matter to validate for no other reason

Unfortunately, I will not be able to follow through on my offer to help. My intention was to do the most rudimentary of tests. I had planned to have the Kid send me a small sample of the melted metal he says he has obtained from his rocks. I planned to try to dissolve a small bit in 50/50 nitric, and another in AR. I would have tested the nitric solution with a drop or two of HCL, and the AR with stannous. If anyone else is in a position to do this, it could help him know if he has anything of value. Dave

See I did it. I have a lot I don't want to do it all!
IMG_20240205_204037.jpg

Back