Eco-goldex CYANIDE Leach

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, surely there must be a way to test this solution for gold without making it an acid. I don't want to lose any gold because I really have no idea how much I should be expecting.

Not really. I see they have zinc gummies, zinc that melts in your mouth without needing water to absorb, and other kinds of zinc that have to have other ingredients. But if I made you laugh by all means, chuckle away.

Common forms of zinc supplements:
Zinc acetate
Zinc sulfate
Zinc picolinate
Zinc glycerate
Zinc monomethionine
Zinc gluconate
Zinc oxide

I belive that elementary zinc should be used for "dropping" metals

Absolutely not. What you need is zinc metal in powder form. Also you need to close watch your batches and do not process mixed type of material where one strip instantly and other thing need longer time. What is happening in this case is that while solution is stripping harder to dissolve plating stuff, it still attack already stripped material. That is why your solution got that dark, amber color. It does not mean there is a lot of gold in it, it mean you dissolved whole bunch of underlying metals in process.
When I used it, my solution was always clear to piss yellow but never dark amber. My first try when I overdid fingers and left them sit in aerated leach overnight resulted in boards stripped clean and dark amber solution.

I did not mentioned it but I thought that everyone who want to try this will proceed with caution. I mean that is the same for every process out there. No matter how many times you hear it is good or fast or whatnot you always should do small test batches to make yourself familiar with said process and make sure you can repeat it successfully. One does not jump in deep water without learning to swim first! That is why it took me so long from start of this thread till today.
Now please do not buy this leach and use it on buckets full of material, do rather cup sized batches, test bottle trials and train yourself.

Second thing which is being mentioned throughout forum almost constantly is Do not substitute reagents - Do not look for shortcuts.
Chances of you finding one are slim to none and you can hurt yourself in process.

Do not and I repeat DO NOT even think about SMB as it only work in acidic solution and you do not want acid near this solution. While experiment in test tube may be feasible as a learning point of view (observing reaction nothing else) it is ultimately stupid idea to try to acidify bucket of cyanide leach. If carbon is preferred and widely used by big companies it make sense to expect that it is cheapest and the best process to extract gold.

It takes just few minutes to reread this thread and it is all here, pay close attention to what Deano said and please do realize that while this leach work good this process has its own set of challenges and dangers involved.

One photo is of the solution after all stripped metals have been removed and the second bucket is the 1st rinse bucket.

Attachments

• IMG_0228 (1).jpg
    IMG_0228 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
That color look nice. Perhaps I understand amber differently :lol:
I got baltic amber which was dark red color - there was my confusion.

The reason I asked about the zinc, is because I honestly didn't know. It makes sense in my mind that the zinc in supplements must be atleast kind of like zinc dust or they would call it something else. Never had any intention of trying to take a "shortcut", I merely asked if it would work since everyone who sells zinc dust seems to live about a thousand miles from me or in another country. Additionally, the written instructions I received only really talks about using activated carbon, recommends against SMB, and briefly mentions using zinc but no real specifics whatsoever.

Go to ebay. Type zinc powder and you will get quite a few sellers in USA. I have found one from NJ and one from TX.

I know you guys said that only the pure metallic zinc dust would work, but while I'm waiting for mine to be delivered, I took a small amount of pregnant solution and added some zinc oxide since it's insoluble in water.... and it falls to the bottom of the solution, but something definitely precipitates, and it sure does resemble gold.

While I wait for the leach and activated carbon I order,I read of aluminium powder being used to replace zinc. Maybe more knowledgeable members will have their input. The link https://books.google.com.cy/books?id=Ob8MAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=gold+cementation+from+cyanide+with+aluminium+powder&source=bl&ots=pRkODORPG_&sig=cmkx3K1BNVvU7olPqui6NUgO9No&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=gold%20cementation%20from%20cyanide%20with%20aluminium%20powder&f=false Also I see in this forum somebody use steel wool for cementation from cyanide solution. I will search for the post. Anyway I don't know if all this will work with this leach,so I will try with small batches,when my leach will arrive.

Rmwatson78 said:
I know you guys said that only the pure metallic zinc dust would work, but while I'm waiting for mine to be delivered, I took a small amount of pregnant solution and added some zinc oxide since it's insoluble in water.... and it falls to the bottom of the solution, but something definitely precipitates, and it sure does resemble gold.
hi , would grinding some die cast in a container to catch the grindings work ? die cast is supposed to be zink , correct me if I am wrong , ed.

ettran said:
hi , would grinding some die cast in a container to catch the grindings work ? die cast is supposed to be zink , correct me if I am wrong , ed.

Make sure it's actually zinc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_casting

"Most die castings are made from non-ferrous metals, specifically zinc, copper, aluminium, magnesium, lead, pewter and tin-based alloys."

I'm not sure if the yellow color completely vanishing from the solution means that the gold has been absorbed by the carbon, but i hope so.IMG_0243.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 579
As far as I know it should be zinc metal in powder form. I do not know what zinc oxide will do with your solution.
From what I gather it should be either zinc or carbon, I would not mix the two of them. At most I would do it in sequence - like use zinc, filter and then put some carbon in filtered solution or reversed, use carbon, filter and then use zinc on filtered solution but even here I would rather expect that first (whichever) will do job fine so I see no need for second precipitant and certainly no point of using both of them as they both need to go through further steps to reclaim precipitated or adsorbed gold.

hi , is this thread done ? waiting for positive results to get my system going , ed.

This thread will only take off when more people post their results and experiences. I am so far satisfied with this process and it will be my favorite one to treat plated material like pins or fingers. I do plan to run quite a lot of material but I simply do not have time to do it.

Back