How much should I pay ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll buy those HDD C/Bs, Steve. Any for sale? And I'll pay USParcel Post shpg for just the cards. You keep the aluminum cases or non-magnetic stainsless is where the weight is. Both clean aluminum and non-mag S/S is bringing a good price per av pound now.

Sue,

I've got hundreds, but as you probably guessed, I'll be destroying them for the scrap value.

Are you after a particular board for a repair? I would be happy to help you get your hands on a particular one if you need it?

If you want them for the scrap value what is it you are getting from them the Pt in the SMDs?

Steve

What scrap values are you destroying the boards to get?

Perhaps we could work out something.

Sue,

I see the PCB's in lots on ebay all the time. Usually mixed in with other boards. You can get them by the pound for your scraping needs.

Steve

Most PCB sellers on fleabay wouldn't know a HDD C/B from a soundcard. One never gets what they are bidding for there. They all use generic pictures. Disgusting.

I know what you are saying. That's why I ask lots of questions and get extra pictures of the actual lots before bidding. If the seller doesn't know what they have it's typically better for us scrapers. Luckily for me I have a extensive background in electronics and computer technology so I know what I'm looking for.

You could also check out some of the online liquidation sites. I've seen lots of hundreds or more entire HDD's on these other sites for sale. Of course you end up with the job of scraping them yourself.

Steve

Sue said:
What scrap values are you destroying the boards to get?

Perhaps we could work out something.

Pt, Pd, Au, Ag, Cu, Al, Mg, Cr, Ni

The quantities are small for each PCB, but as with everything in the scraping of electronics, when you have enough of them they are worth something if you know how to get the goodies out.

What would you pay per board?

Steve

afella said:
How much should I buy a server for?

Hello Afella,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the post.

Your question is not easily answered because there are many factors that may affect the price. I'll list a few factors and you can reply with more specifics when I'm done:

1. Does the server work?
  2. How old is the server?
  3. What are the specifications of the server (cpu, RAM, etc.)?
  4. Do you plan on harvesting the precious metals from the server?
  5. Is the server a complete unit or are parts missing?
  6. Do you have to pay to have it shipped to you?
  7. Are you buying one server or several ?
  8. Is the unit in parts or whole?

I might have missed some factors, but you get the idea. Value is dependent on a lot of factors.

Steve

Steve,
Did you ever find out what Sue wanted the hardrive pcb's for?
That seemed kind of odd to single out hd pcb's from the rest.
Did he know something that we don't, or was he playing with us?
I know that was a good while back now, but just happened to read
it again with the server question getting posted here.
Jim

jimdoc,

I think he was just toying with me. It seemed like he got his jollies messing with forum members here. Anything he could do to distract the forum members from being productive made him happy.

Another possiblity is that he was selling a similar item on ebay and was trying to inflate the price by insinuating that they were more valuable than they actually are. I noticed he had a habit of over stating the gold yields for various items. This leads me to believe he was a seller on ebay trying to stimulate a buying bonanza and not the Gold Refinery metallurgist he claimed to be.

This is a good example of why every member should cross check the information that is provided herein. Not only for the ebay sharks looking to spread misinformation, but for safety reasons when working with chemicals and reactions. You never know who you are really talking to or what their true level of knowledge is.

If someone is truly genuine they won't mind if you constructively correct them when they make a misstep. It's for the good of the group. I've been corrected several times myself by some of our most experienced refiners and now I'm more knowledgable from that. Being corrected doesn't bother me in the least, we are all only human afterall.

Steve

Lazersteve,

1.It is an old server
2. Iplan on harvesting precious metals from it
3. I do not know how much memory ect. but I do know it has about 6 hard drives in it
If I purchace it it would be from a goverment surplus wharehouse

Afella,

Do you know what model or brand the server is? Any information of the actual server itself would help.

As a side note be sure to check your shipping charges on the server, they weigh a god awful lot, especially the ones with numerous hard drives.

Steve

Noxx
Try talking to the 2nd hand stores. The St. Vincent de Paul Store here has a as is yard. Every Monday I go down and talk about hauling off scrap. They charge me $10.00 a pick-up load. I never now what I'm going to get ontil I show up. The boards are in a box or the tower is taken apart. Lots of fingers and copper wire.
New, just tryed Steves small batch of HCL-perioxide and it worked great. Have three batches cooking now.

Roger

Thanks AgAuPtRh for the tip about Freecycle.org I put up a request this morning and have picked up two loads so far today. It seems to work very well, there are around 1000 members in my community.

Best of luck

:D FreeCycle even works in the UK...
I collected 40 motherboards, 50 hard drives, 20 CPU's, and about 50 memory sticks using FreeCycle over the lasdt week :D

Mine was short and sweet.

Wanted: Old Computer Equipment

Will take old computer equipment and scrap, saving you the hassle and
cost of recycling! Serving St. Cloud.

I got a few more hits today, hopefully they pan out!

Back