How much should I pay ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shyknee said:
blueduck
IIRC about a kilo of memory yeilds around 3 grams of gold from the fingers, about 2 ounces give or take... if my math aint off.
No. You are wrong this is way off and I stand by what i say on this :roll:

Blueduck

1.3# or 600g of memory fingers = 2 to 3 grams of gold

50 # of memory = approx 2000 g of fingers or ballpark 4 1/2 pounds of fingers. Yields 7-11 g of gold. Still a nice little button, shyknee :lol:

Thanks for posting that figure.... and i was thinking that it was the fingers clipped from the memory clipped after it was weighed not 3 pounds of the clipped fingers

I apologize for being all mixed up.

William
Idaho

blueduck said:
glorycloud said:
Well said RFD298. Did you add in the value of the gold fingers, cpu's, etc.
to your minimum wage calculation? 135 pounds of cards should yield a nice
size bag of gold fingers. With the fingers added in from the 50 pounds of memory you you probably yielded a decent gold button. 8)

IIRC about a kilo of memory yeilds around 3 grams of gold from the fingers, about 2 ounces give or take... if my math aint off.

William
Idaho

Is that a kilo of the the pins or the sd ram boards? If it the whole boards, I'm getting a bit excited as I've agreed to pay some $140 for 60kg of sdram :)

chrisv said:
blueduck said:
glorycloud said:
size bag of gold fingers. With the fingers added in from the 50 pounds of memory you you probably yielded a decent gold button. 8)

William
Idaho

Is that a kilo of the the pins or the sd ram boards? If it the whole boards, I'm getting a bit excited as I've agreed to pay some $140 for 60kg of sdram :)

Looks like it is just the fingers off the ram.

Barren Realms 007 said:
chrisv said:
blueduck said:
glorycloud said:

William
Idaho

I've not recoverred or shall I say, processed sd ram yet, how much in weight of pins would you get off of 60kg in whole sd ram? I know ive not given proper details asto what sdram, I've just been told that it a mix of everything.

chrisv said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
chrisv said:
blueduck said:
glorycloud said:

William
Idaho

I've not recoverred or shall I say, processed sd ram yet, how much in weight of pins would you get off of 60kg in whole sd ram? I know ive not given proper details asto what sdram, I've just been told that it a mix of everything.

Most of the gold is on the fingers of the ram, if the finger is not gold plated put it to the side to be processed later if you want. Your yield should be rounf 1-2g per pound of trimmed fingers. That is clean fingers that have been removed from the card.

I cut my memory fingers close with tin snips.

Weighing before and after the cut, the weight of the fingers seems to average out around 7% of the total
weight.

60 Kgs should bring home around 4.2 Kgs of fingers.
4.2 Kgs will get you in the region of 12g of Gold.

Buzz

just a word of caution ...be carefull of offering to remove for free i just cut myself out of some profit by offering to do for free what they were willing to pay for.

capt_dugout said:
just a word of caution ...be carefull of offering to remove for free i just cut myself out of some profit by offering to do for free what they were willing to pay for.

Next time they need something removed who will they call, think of it as Public Relations. Hope you left a business card with your name and telephone number with them as a reminder.

rusty said:
Next time they need something removed who will they call, think of it as Public Relations. Hope you left a business card with your name and telephone number with them as a reminder.
There's a lot to be said for that logic.
I always made it a practice to consider shearing the lamb instead of skinning the lamb.

Harold

I think you all need to check your math. Almost every post on this page has pounds and kilos and grams and ounces converted incorrectly. 3 pounds is not 600 grams. 3 grams is not 2 ounces. The conversion assumptions make all of the calculations here suspect. Just saying...

glondor said:
I think you all need to check your math. Almost every post on this page has pounds and kilos and grams and ounces converted incorrectly. 3 pounds is not 600 grams. 3 grams is not 2 ounces. The conversion assumptions make all of the calculations here suspect. Just saying...

Hi Glondor,
Well you're right and wrong. There are a lot of wildly conflicting estimates quoted on the forum. Even the more generous estimates make it awful hard to reconcile memory prices I see on Ebay, which pretty consistently are around $15 per pound.

However regarding the errors in this thread that you reported - Someone up higher on the thread said 1.3 pounds or 600 Grams (which is about right), NOT 3 pounds or 600 Grams. I'm guessing the other comment you referred to was saying that if 1 kilo (of memory fingers?) yielded 2 to 3 Grams of gold, then the whole 50 pounds would yield 2 ounces of gold (if his math was correct...)?

I don't know, just trying to help.

macfixer01

Noxx said:
I would like to know if there is precious metals to recover in old hard drives of 1.2Gb. I know someone who have a box of them.
Thanks

If the boards are still on the drives then, yes. Those boards go for a few bucks more per lb than hg pc board. Supposedly there is some PM in the drive itself.

rasanders22 said:
1ounce=~28.34 grams
1 ounce=.0625 pounds
1 pound=16 ounces.
True for avoirdupois, but as Ralph mentioned, precious metals are not weighed in avoirdupois, but troy. I will be, forever, flummoxed by the endless discussion of weights in metric units where precious metals are concerned.

Considering troy measurement, the ounce is larger (480 grains as opposed to 437.5 grains) and the pound is smaller (5,760 grains as opposed to 7,000 grains).

31.10348 grams = 1 troy ounce.
15.432 grains= 1 gram.
24 grains = 1 dwt.
20 dwt = 1 troy ounce.
480 grains= 1 troy ounce.
12 troy ounces = 1 troy pound.

Harold

Harold_V said:
rasanders22 said:
1ounce=~28.34 grams
1 ounce=.0625 pounds
1 pound=16 ounces.
True for avoirdupois, but as Ralph mentioned, precious metals are not weighed in avoirdupois, but troy. I will be, forever, flummoxed by the endless discussion of weights in metric units where precious metals are concerned.

Considering troy measurement, the ounce is larger (480 grains as opposed to 437.5 grains) and the pound is smaller (5,760 grains as opposed to 7,000 grains).

31.10348 grams = 1 troy ounce.
15.432 grains= 1 gram.
24 grains = 1 dwt.
20 dwt = 1 troy ounce.
480 grains= 1 troy ounce.
12 troy ounces = 1 troy pound.

Harold

I can't tell you how many Ebay sellers I've emailed because they freely mixed the two systems in their auction description to justify how much there item should be worth (inexplicably almost always to their own advantage). Then they almost universally either don't reply and don't correct it, or get belligerent and tell me to mind my own business. Gee that makes it awful hard to believe it was just a mistake? I cringe anyway when I see gold auctions with the weight quoted as a fraction of an ounce, but then they often don't even specify what kind of ounce? I avoid those like the plague.

macfixer01

Back