How much should I pay ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. I got a good one here. The one's who know the answer.... Be quiet. :lol:

How would one go about producing Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Don't spoil it steve. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Somebody is going to figure it out. lol

aflacglobal said:
O.K. I got a good one here. The one's who know the answer.... Be quiet. :lol:

How would one go about producing Dihydrogen Monoxide........

when you put it thataway, it sounds like it ought to be regualted on the banned list QQ !!!! DHS will nevr be the same now they are looking for the fellas who know how to make it, or drill for it...... you may ave had a few of the fellas in washington D&C scrambling to find a professor to ask just what that chemical compound was as it was not listed on the terror watch list and somebodies head needed to roll!!!!!

William

as it was not listed on the terror watch list

Oh, but it is. Try and get on an airplane with some. :shock:

okokokokok

I dont fly. yep that is right a duck that does not fly commercial and particularly since the restrictions went into effect. I either drive where i am going or I wont go. No fear, just a protest of the way things are treated, Ive had baggage lost, baggage ripped and items lost while flying, the only way i ever was assured of getting things with me was carry on, and since the restrictions I cannot be assured of carrying anything on a commercial airplane. So if I have to fly and can catch a couple buddies on the right day I can hitch a ride on private planes which of course take longer and don't fly straight into the same fields most of the time, but they can and do in some airports.

So In that respect I did not think of it as something that DHS and ATS look for in their body cavity searches..... after all are we not made up of about 99% Dihydrogen Monoxide?

William

I went to a computer repair place yesterday and just walked in and asked if he had any broken computers or stuff he asked laptop or desktop I said both. he asked how many I said as many as he can get. Im going back now hopefully how much fingers/pins/processors can I expect from one desktop/laptop?

This thread is disappointing me... with this person from montreal buying out everyones computer scrap. Not good for me to start, since im from montreal too :x

jimdoc said:
Steve,
Did you ever find out what Sue wanted the hardrive pcb's for?
That seemed kind of odd to single out hd pcb's from the rest.
Did he know something that we don't, or was he playing with us?
I know that was a good while back now, but just happened to read
it again with the server question getting posted here.
Jim

Jimdoc,
I have just a general comment since I haven't read through the old threads and don't know the person you were talking about. One reason I can think of for wanting hard drive PCB's is that if they come from a drive where the heads physically crashed then the circuit board is likely still good. It can be used to fix another drive of the same make and model that has a failed PCB but has intact media and heads. Whether it's to repair the drive for resale or just to recover important lost data. There is big money in data recovery services and generally no guarantee of success. It's just a thought anyway. Years ago when I worked for a computer retailer on the service bench we'd occasionally be able to get a customer's data back for them by swapping boards. Or sometimes it was as easy as manually helping the platters spin up when there was a stiction problem or the motor had lost torque. Then we just wouldn't turn it off until the data had been backed up to another drive. Older hard drives are pretty worthless anymore but data on them can be invaluable.

Actually that brings up another quick point. CBS recently did an expose on office copiers that were returned from lease or sold that still had copies of thousands of scanned documents on the internal hard drives. Financial records, SSN#'s, private medical records, you name it! I have to admit I never even thought about modern copiers having hard drives inside them or saving a copy of the scanned image after the copy process was finished. If anyone is interested here's a link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6412572n&tag=mg

macfixer01

25lucas said:
This thread is disappointing me... with this person from montreal buying out everyones computer scrap. Not good for me to start, since im from montreal too :x
Don't be discouraged. What other members were telling this person is they get their stuff for free or get paid to take it away. I am just starting out myself and I will not pay for anything, I am doing them a favor by disposing it for them.

Try going to a few yardsales in your area and ask to cart off and recycle any electronic scrap they may have and tell them you will not charge your usual fees. :lol: That is my business plan of one week. Everything I got last saturday had some kind of gold plated items inside.

It is tough to make minimum wage when recycling computers once you count your labor costs. Having said that I have a few computer repair shops that give me their dead computers and components for free. Months can go by, but when there is a lull in high grade scrap to run they are there. I would never burn gas to get one or 2 but if you are already there by all means ask.

if you want a fair $ amount visit thritybits.com (this should give you an idea what to pay) that's who I sell my pc scrap to. There located in pennsylvaina usa but I recon the price is about the same for small quantities, pretty much anywhere you are. Of course if you have TONS the right choice would be to find a smelter, I've been looking into SIMMS Metal Management located in chicago Illinois, there a mega corparation they have facilities around the globe. A cpu is worth about 10$ (broken down) where I'm at, I pay 2-4 if it's complete. I hope this helps

chrisp said:
A cpu is worth about 10$ (broken down) where I'm at, I pay 2-4 if it's complete.

Are you talking about CPU (the chip) or a computer without screen, keyboard and mice? 10$ sounded a bit high to me unless it is a pentium pro or another high end CPU chip.

/Göran

g_axelsson said:
chrisp said:
A cpu is worth about 10$ (broken down) where I'm at, I pay 2-4 if it's complete.

Are you talking about CPU (the chip) or a computer without screen, keyboard and mice? 10$ sounded a bit high to me unless it is a pentium pro or another high end CPU chip.

/Göran

I'm going to say he is talking about a tower or desk top unit since he said broken down.

chrisp said:
if you want a fair $ amount visit thritybits.com (this should give you an idea what to pay) that's who I sell my pc scrap to. There located in pennsylvaina usa but I recon the price is about the same for small quantities, pretty much anywhere you are. Of course if you have TONS the right choice would be to find a smelter, I've been looking into SIMMS Metal Management located in chicago Illinois, there a mega corparation they have facilities around the globe. A cpu is worth about 10$ (broken down) where I'm at, I pay 2-4 if it's complete. I hope this helps

I just sold 800 pounds of stuff to Thrifty bits yesterday. (560 # of PC boards, 160 # of mainframe which he classifies
as two sided boards, 135 # of clipped cards, which he gives you half price, and 50 # of clipped memory which he gave me $5.00 a #) If you add up my hourly rate it would work out to around $2-3 an hour. Thank God this is a hobby.

If you want to make money stick with jewelry, if you want a good excuse to get away from the wife for a couple of hours, stick with computers. Pay as little as possible for computers. Learn which machines / procs yield the best material and have fun. The end result, that little gold button will sure make you smile.

Well said RFD298. Did you add in the value of the gold fingers, cpu's, etc.
to your minimum wage calculation? 135 pounds of cards should yield a nice
size bag of gold fingers. With the fingers added in from the 50 pounds of memory you you probably yielded a decent gold button. 8)

glorycloud said:
Well said RFD298. Did you add in the value of the gold fingers, cpu's, etc.
to your minimum wage calculation? 135 pounds of cards should yield a nice
size bag of gold fingers. With the fingers added in from the 50 pounds of memory you you probably yielded a decent gold button. 8)

IIRC about a kilo of memory yeilds around 3 grams of gold from the fingers, about 2 ounces give or take... if my math aint off.

William
Idaho

blueduck
IIRC about a kilo of memory yeilds around 3 grams of gold from the fingers, about 2 ounces give or take... if my math aint off.
No. You are wrong this is way off and I stand by what i say on this :roll:

Back