I Can Toll Refine Keyboard Mylars For You!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My last resort will be to send it off to a data recovery service. I have data I simply cannot write off.

Kevin

i have between 20 and 30 pounds of mylars i would like to send you.if you could message me the shipping info i would appreciate it

yooo Kevin, where you at ? we're still keeping tuned to see that silver. Give us an update

Here is an update for you ctgresale.

Sorry for the delay, but I've been trying to revamp from much of my precious metals notes and information. It still hurts.

Anyway, I am finished with refining your mylars, except I have to melt it. Right now it's raining and I plan on having it shipped out to you by tomorrow. I'll post a picture of the finished product, but here is a look at what I've done with your mylars.

ctgresale-01.jpg

There was close to 4 lbs sent to me, which included the weight of the box. Considering the glue had to be removed from the mylars sent, that too, took off a bit of weight. All in all, there should be a total of around 22+ grams of silver once melted. I have 22 grams in powder right now ready to melt, but it's been raining off and on all day today, and we have wind gusts up to 35 mph. It's also suppose to snow sometime today/tonight... yet,, Spring time and we're supposed to get snow.

I also want to make a correction in my time to process materials sent to me. It's been in late January when I received my first batch, not in December of 2012, which I said I received my first batch. It was close to February. Still, for those that have waited since then, I'm not charging any toll-refining fees. I'm sending back to you 100% of what was sent to me.

Please take into consideration that I do all my refining outside and the weather is still not all that good to get even a good 5 straight days in of outside refining work.

I wish you could see the actual powder from the top portion in the picture above, because it sparkles like crazy. I really like that portion. I'm going to melt that portion by itself, and do the other portion separately. Right now 3:09pm CST, it's cloudy, but the sun is partially out, but the winds are high. It will blow away the powder if I take it outside to try to melt. I might open my screen door and do it at my door, where it's concrete and I have plenty of kiln/firebrick insulation that makes melting a breeze for me.

Hopefully I'll post the melted silver sometime today. Don't hold me to it, but if I can setup my melting station near my back door, I can get it completed by tonight, and mail t back to you by tomorrow.

To ericm, you're up next. I already started your package, I'm just waiting on the Nitric Acid to arrive. According to the tracking, I should have it by Tuesday. But I already prepped yours. If the Nitric arrive in the am hours, all I need to do is bath the mylars and then drop the copper. I already have pictures of how I did yours, but I'm saving them for when I send off the members' silver before you.

Doing what I did on yours, I'll be able to do the 28 lbs sent to me, plus my own 50 lbs in less than a week. The 28 lbs, I should be able to do in a about 2 days at most, which includes the melting.

Ericm, when I upload the images from what I've done with your mylars, watch the silver you'll see all compressed without actually doing any Nitric bathing. Incinerating mylars is much faster indeed, then into the Nitric Acid bath, then the copper dropper.

Stay tuned!......

On an ending note, please remember that I am now starting over with all my computer notes and information on refining and it has taken a toll on some of the information that I know, but I need to refer back to. Again, sorry for the delay all.

Kevin

Kevin,

I'm looking forward to reading how you incinerated the keyboards, thus eliminating the need for the HNO3 soak. Hopefully it will finally turn into spring soon. The silver cement looks grand!

Matt

Very cool, do you know how much of that 22g came from the phones and how much came from keyboards ? Anytime this week is fine, no need to rush it and let it get blown away by the wind. :shock: also let me know if you want me to send you that 160gb hard drive, no charge of course.

testerman said:
My last resort will be to send it off to a data recovery service. I have data I simply cannot write off.

Kevin
Did it just have one platter in it? I know if there is more than one they have to stay aligned however the last time I needed to have one recovered it was an 80Gb drive was $1,000. I hope you have better luck and keep up the good work!

mjgraham said:
testerman said:

Kevin
Did it just have one platter in it? I know if there is more than one they have to stay aligned however the last time I needed to have one recovered it was an 80Gb drive was $1,000. I hope you have better luck and keep up the good work!
Yeah, mine has one platter in it. I get ticked every time I think about it. Thankfully about 80 - 85% of the data has been backed up. But still, that other 15 - 20% of data is alot to lose.

Kevin

Kev

If you are burning the plastic, why not proceed and smelt it?
What is the avarage ash content?

One more thing that kinda bugs me...
And please take no offence...
Had you decide to leach with nitric, why in the world would you cement with copper??
The reason i ask is , cus the silver is quite pure to begin with.
You can just as easily precipitate silver oxide, siphon supernatent, dry the powder and directly melt without any purity concerns what so ever.
On the same breath, You can, if you have the time and facility, to evaporate agno3 solution to dryness and slowly heat the crystals until all is decomposed then proceed to melting.

samuel-a said:
Kev

If you are burning the plastic, why not proceed and smelt it?
What is the avarage ash content?
I have never smelted before and I will need to learn more about smelting. I have read up on it and I have a bit of understanding of smelting and what is to be done, but I need to see some videos or something that can give me a better understanding of the process. It just may be a better and faster way for me to do these mylars.

samuel-a said:
One more thing that kinda bugs me...
And please take no offence...
Had you decide to leach with nitric, why in the world would you cement with copper??
The reason i ask is , cus the silver is quite pure to begin with.
You can just as easily precipitate silver oxide, siphon supernatent, dry the powder and directly melt without any purity concerns what so ever.
On the same breath, You can, if you have the time and facility, to evaporate agno3 solution to dryness and slowly heat the crystals until all is decomposed then proceed to melting.
I take no offense to logic and reason. Please understand that I'm still learning all of this and I'm bound to learn better and quicker ways, and most importantly, safer and easier ways to do my refining.

The reason I use copper to cement the silver is because I thought that the less chemicals I use, the better. If there is another way, which is purer and better than the copper for cementing process, I'm open for suggestions. But, from what I've learned here on the forum so far, copper has been the main thing used to cement the silver. Since I've used copper already, I'm willing to try another way and decide which would be better.

Right now I only have a stainless steel bowl, a few MAPP and propane disposable tanks. That's the only way I know how to do it right now. I do know how to put the mylars in the nitric, but that is too time consuming, plus, I also realized that by incinerating the mylars, I use less nitric than if I put the mylars in a nitric bath.

As far as the ash content, I haven't weighed it yet, but I can tell you this much, they mylars don't seem to actually ash (turn white). They simply dry up and turn black. I even crushed them down to powder and tried to torch them some more, and yet, they won't turn white, or actually ash up.

My theory was that if I incinerated the mylars, as I tested one before and it did ash up, I would end up with all the silver sitting on the bottom of the bowl and I could easily blow or sift the ashes out. It doesn't seem to work that way for me because the burnt mylars just dry up and I can crumble them to a powder. Actually, the look like charcoals, except they're crushed.

I'm willing to learn more and try what you think I should do to make my processing easier and hopefully better in the purity.

When you said:
I need to learn that process so at least I'll know better than what I do now.

I appreciate the input and the information and advise given. Once I know how to do the same thing more than one way, it'll make doing what I'm doing much easier. Hopefully I can learn how to smelt real soon, as I never did it before.

Thanks again for your input.

For the update:
It's been 32 degrees all day and it is still snowing, but nothing has stuck as of this morning. Winds weren't too bad, but still too cold outside to even melt anything today.

Kevin

Kev

I'll gladly help you with what ever you choose to tryout.
There's also plenty of info wrriten here before.

Also, i think that eventually you would have to buy a larger crucible and setup some sort of a furnace.

samuel-a said:
Kev

I'll gladly help you with what ever you choose to tryout.
There's also plenty of info wrriten here before.

Also, i think that eventually you would have to buy a larger crucible and setup some sort of a furnace.
Thanks for the offer to help me try out different processes. As you may already know, I lost all of my computer notes that I had. I've been saving data from here for over a year now, and now I'm starting from scratch again. So please bare with me if I happen to ask for some info on something that I had, but can't seem to easily find it here on the forum again.

I plan on buying some firebrick and making a furnace this spring. Like I mentioned before, once I get one process down, I'm ok with trying out others to see what would work best for me. So far I've managed to process mylars two different ways and they both work. Now I'm ready to try a 3rd way.

[Update]
It's still snowing and not sticking, but it's cold as heck outside. We're suppose to get to a high of around 43 degrees today. It's 36 right now.

Kevin

I've finished with your silver ctgresale. It's melted and ready to be shipped out.

Here are the details for this batch. These notes were put in my Composition Book before my hard drive crashed:

Shipped by UPS:
Total Package weight, including the box: 4 lbs. (Note: shippers will round up the weight if it's 1/2 lb or more of any weight)
Empty Box: Total Weight = 0.54 lbs
Keyboard Mylars: Total Weight = 1.53 lbs.
Telephone Mylars: Total Weight = 0.99 lbs
Miscellaneous Boards: Total Weight = 0.05 lbs

============================================Actual Weight = 3.11 lbs=================================
==========================================Actual Mylar Weight = 2.57 lbs==============================

Total silver recovered from this batch after it was melted is 20.8 grams. The powder weighed in at 22 grams, but lost some weight during the melting process. The container I kept it in had a lid on it, and maybe it was slightly damp, but not wet. I used a new melting dish and I swirled the molten silver around in the dish to collect all the beads of silver and such that started building up, and then I let it cool in the dish enough to harden and then I took it out and put it in cold water. So no silver was left in the dish at all. Also, I used MAPP gas and not Propane. I hear MAPP may give more loss than using Propane. I'll have to experiment on that.

Anyway, here is the silver below. I removed the flux that formed on it by placing them in a diluted sulfuric heat bath. 10ml Sulfuric + 200 ml distilled water and put on medium heat for half an hour or a bit more, and they look nice.

Excuse the photos.. it got dark outside when I was finishing and I took these pictures inside, which doesn't give the best of light and clarity, but it's all good.

finished-silver.jpg

silver-on-scale.jpg

Maybe I can get some better pictures from outside in the daylight before I ship them out to you.

I also meant to mention if I didn't before, since I had not enough of those telephone/misc mylars I didn't calculate the yields from them alone. I know I had 0.99 lbs of telephone mylars, but they were of different sizes and styles. If I had 1 lb of each type, then it would have been feasible for me to use nitric on just those mylars all by themselves. Since I already have a new order already in, which does have at least 1 lb of the same telephone boards you sent me, I'll be able to do yields on them, which should tell everyone the expected or approximate yields of them.

Again, sorry for the delay.

Ericm, you're up on deck. I'll be processing yours tomorrow, but I'm still waiting on my Nitric.. FedEx says by Tuesday it should be here, and it's Wednesday and it's not here. Last time I checked today, it was in Nevada, coming from California, to get to here in Tennessee. I guess they won't fly or overnight that type of stuff.

Anyway, stay tuned.

To wrmahaff, your package arrived today. I'll post updates on yours as well. There are now two more people in front of you. In the meantime, I'll weigh the package, mylars and remove the blanks and take notes and report the total weights of everything.

Stay tuned!

Kevin

Kevin the place i get my nitric from has a warehouse in Nashville. Have you tried calling them yet? I give right at $100 for 17 gallons of 67% nitric from them.

Industrial Chemicals Inc http://industrialchem.com/

Palladium said:
Kevin the place i get my nitric from has a warehouse in Nashville. Have you tried calling them yet? I give right at $100 for 17 gallons of 67% nitric from them.

Industrial Chemicals Inc http://industrialchem.com/
WOW... what about shipping? I just paid $59 for a Pint of 69.5% on eBay, where I bought my first batch for $99, which was 2 Pints Nitric + 2 950 ml Hydrochloric Acid. Is there much difference in 67% and 69.5%, for doing what we do?

I'll definitely have to check them out. Plus I know heating the nitric will make it dissolve more.

Kevin

No shipping you just go pick it up. You will have to set up an account which is not hard. Just give them your name for a company or Dba and use your ss# as your Ein # . The difference between the two strengths is just the added water. We add water to it for our reactions anyway so basically no difference. Their is a one $200 stainless drum deposit that you get back eventually when your done and return the drum, but all you do is just keep swapping them out in the mean time. Even with the $200 deposit it doesn't take long to realize the savings. Especially if you are planning on using a lot in the future.

Awe man.... thanks for that info. This will definitely save me money and on top of that, I could experiment better, without the fear of the cost of the nitric, and especially if something doesn't refine or turn out as expected. Darn, you saved me a lot of money and time by buying it this way.

I thank you very much Palladium for this info. I'll never forget you. $300 + pickup myself?.... that's definitely a bargain.

Kevin

Let me know when you mail me those 2 buttons so I can be on the lookout for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back