I Can Toll Refine Keyboard Mylars For You!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
testerman said:
Ocean said:
Checking in.
I'm almost finished. I just dried some more powder today. What I have been doing also because you do have some nice exotic mylars, I've been taking pictures of them to be put in a database and hopefully someone can tell what devices any of them come out of. I should be finished in a few more days. Once I get all of them powdered and dried, I'll be melting them. We're suppose to get some rain between tonight and tomorrow. Since it's still pretty nice right now outside, I'll probably do some more tonight before I go to bed.

I'll give another update tomorrow sometime.

Kevin

It's been a week since this post promising an update and quite a long time since I shipped this.

Can I get an ETA on the completion of this project?

Thanks

My last request for info on this was 3 days ago, and I see that you have been online since I posted this.

What are your plans?

Please take the time to communicate with me about this.

Thanks!

I really hope this works out good for all involved. I have a box full of keyboard mylars that I have been saving for just such an occasion. I am watching this thread closely as I am sure other forum members are also, if Ocean gets his Silver & is happy, I will send you mine. Communication is very important dealing with people online that we don't know well, especially when PMs are involved.

Someone on here sent me his email and phone #, and address.

I just dropped an email to him.

If I don't hear back by Monday, I will start with the phone calls.

Sorry for the delay everyone. I've been busy with my wife's son, that got hit by a car last Oct 31st, and the pins and rods they put in his ankle have been coming out. He has been in the hospital (still right now) because they had to do what they call "extensive surgery" on him. He may be released by today according to the dr's since his pain level is down.

During the last week I've been dealing with my waste bucket (Nitric/Copper) (Silver Refining) and that has been a chore by itself, and then the rain for the last 3 days and more rain for about 3 more days.

Ocean, I will be sending your silver out as soon as my other melting dishes arrive. I got a total of 12 ozT of silver from the batch you sent me. I will be sending you your 6 ozT of silver. I'll also upload some pictures too when I take them. Again, sorry for the delay.

Just in case for future references, I never log out of the forum. The only way I'm not online is if my Internet goes down or I actually log off, which I've never done in over a year now being a member. With that said, even though it shows that I'm online doesn't mean I'm actually on the computer.

Once I finish with this job and one other job, which I started, I'm thinking about temporarily purchasing the exotic mylars because I need definite yields on some of them I have received. I'm still thinking about it. Once I know the exact yields from the mylars of certain types, I'm also thinking about simply giving silver rounds in exchange, once I examine the mylars.

It's not raining right now, but we're in the 40's. hopefully if it warms up some more today, I'll be outside doing more refining.

My mylar refining will only get better and faster with time.

Kevin

Axlrod2 said:
About how many mylars to a pound before refining?
From all the data I gathered so far, and doing my own weighing, it'll take approximately 55 "random" mylars to equal 1 lb. Also, from doing my own weighing (approximately 4 different times so far) it will take approximately 78 "exact" mylars to equal 1 lb.

Keep note that these calculations are for standard keyboard mylars only.

Kevin

[Added Info]
To give an answer as to when to refine, you should have at least 5+ lbs of mylars to make refining mylars worth the effort, and that's a pretty small return too. At most, you'll get 2-1/2 ozT of silver. That's about $60 (at most) worth of silver right now, and not to mention the cost of the Nitric Acid and time.

Hmmm, when I get back to work next week I have some calculations to do. Have boxes and boxes of old keyboards, just have to figure out if it's really worth the trouble of getting them apart to get the mylars out. And then if I have enough poundage to bother with.

testerman said:
Ocean, I will be sending your silver out as soon as my other melting dishes arrive. I got a total of 12 ozT of silver from the batch you sent me. I will be sending you your 6 ozT of silver. I'll also upload some pictures too when I take them. Again, sorry for the delay.

Kevin

Checking in. No pictures and another week has passed.

I would like to have a conclusion to this transaction.

Let me know how I can help speed it up.

Thanks

I think the man has been very patient. I find that communication and customer service is the key to my success. To my customers yields and numbers are only secondary to the communication and honesty that a business exhibits. The value of a business lies not in the product, but in the customer service a company exhibits. It's what sets you apart from all the other companies that do or sell the same thing.

Speaking of customer service and honesty i have a little story of an incident that i think will show an example. Yes every now and then i like to get up on my soap box and preach! But i find that the best told stories are the one we have from personal experiences. During my refining i have managed to save quiet a considerable amount of gold, to me at least anyways. About $25,000 worth at today's prices. Several weeks ago it was worth more. Here recently i've had to hire a lawyer for some legal action about the kids. Now i could have gotten a jack in the box lawyer for about half of that, but hey! You get what you pay for and legal matters are not something you skimp on in my opinion. I was going to sell my gold and take the hit so i could get this paid. I was talking to a client from N.J. one night. He buys a lot of gold for personal investment and i do all his refining. He's a retired wall street type and does all his buying and refining for personal investment. He has several clients he selsl physical gold to instead of them buying paper gold. Now that's funny when even the retired wall street type know better than to buy their own paper. lol Anyway i told him i hated to sell off my gold and take a loss right now. He said " Then why do it"? Well........." Because i need the money i said". The man come right out and told me to just keep the gold and he would loan me the money if i needed it. I was floored to say the least. I said "well i can send you the gold and you can hold it". He said "Don't worry about it". I've never even met this man, but we have conducted business for about a year over the phone and through emails. He said " I trust you." The moral of this story is a lesson i learned from my Grandfather years ago. He said " Son even when your broke and have nothing their is one thing of value a man always has and that is his word." I value my customers and obviously they value me just as much. I've never had to lie, cheat, or steal from my customers because i know that if i just ask they are more than happy to help.

CUSTOMER SERVICE !

Speaking of customer service and honesty i have a little story of an incident that i think will show an example. Yes every now and then i like to get up on my soap box and preach! But i find that the best told stories are the one we have from personal experiences. During my refining i have managed to save quiet a considerable amount of gold, to me at least anyways. About $25,000 worth at today's prices. Several weeks ago it was worth more. Here recently i've had to hire a lawyer for some legal action about the kids. Now i could have gotten a jack in the box lawyer for about half of that, but hey! You get what you pay for and legal matters are not something you skimp on in my opinion. I was going to sell my gold and take the hit so i could get this paid. I was talking to a client from N.J. one night. He buys a lot of gold for personal investment and i do all his refining. He's a retired wall street type and does all his buying and refining for personal investment. He has several clients he selsl physical gold to instead of them buying paper gold. Now that's funny when even the retired wall street type know better than to buy their own paper. lol Anyway i told him i hated to sell off my gold and take a loss right now. He said " Then why do it"? Well........." Because i need the money i said". The man come right out and told me to just keep the gold and he would loan me the money if i needed it. I was floored to say the least. I said "well i can send you the gold and you can hold it". He said "Don't worry about it". I've never even met this man, but we have conducted business for about a year over the phone and through emails. He said " I trust you." The moral of this story is a lesson i learned from my Grandfather years ago. He said " Son even when your broke and have nothing their is one thing of value a man always has and that is his word." I value my customers and obviously they value me just as much. I've never had to lie, cheat, or steal from my customers because i know that if i just ask they are more than happy to help.

CUSTOMER SERVICE !

Remembers me to when I studied behavioural organization psychology, it's called "the Good Story". Those are important to a group in order to teach each other common values and rules. It is the social glue. It is used as a technique by professionals to develop organizations. Nice "good story", we should have more of those! Thanks you for sharing!

solar_plasma said:

CUSTOMER SERVICE !

Remembers me to when I studied behavioural organization psychology, it's called "the Good Story". Those are important to a group in order to teach each other common values and rules. It is the social glue. It is used as a technique by professionals to develop organizations. Nice "good story", we should have more of those! Thanks you for sharing!

You sir are a very observant man!

Palladium said:

CUSTOMER SERVICE !

Thanks for sharing your observations.

Does anyone else on the forum refine Silver from keyboard mylars?

I've thought about it. I would like to be much more proficient at recovery and refining prior to that. Also a proper workspace with adequate equipment would be preferable to working on the deck. Have to tear down every night and can not set up if the grandchildren might be coming by.

Haven't yet but plan to. I have about 60 pounds of mylars saved and just bought two gaylords full of keyboards for $40.00.

My wife was running out of spare-time things to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back