I Can Toll Refine Keyboard Mylars For You!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ctgresale said:
Let me know when you mail me those 2 buttons so I can be on the lookout for them
Sorry for the delay. My wife has been in the hospital for 3 days now and may need some surgery tomorrow. She might get to come home Friday, I hope.

Anyway, I mailed your package out today. I'll pm you the tracking info.

Kevin

testerman said:
ctgresale said:
Let me know when you mail me those 2 buttons so I can be on the lookout for them
Sorry for the delay. My wife has been in the hospital for 3 days now and may need some surgery tomorrow. She might get to come home Friday, I hope.

Kevin

Thoughts and prayers Kevin. Hope everything is ok with the Mrs.

wrmahaff said:
testerman said:
ctgresale said:

Kevin

Thoughts and prayers Kevin. Hope everything is ok with the Mrs.
Thank you very much for the kind words Wrmahaff. It's her gallbladder. It's so ironic that she's been working in a hospital for 32 years and she said she thought that was her problem. They finally gave her some jello, Sprite soda, beef and chicken broth. She has been on [E] since Sunday. Nothing at all.

[UPDATE]
Ericm,

I have your silver in solution filtering right now and as soon as it finishes I'll be dropping the copper tonight. Also, it's suppose to rain tonight and get down into the 30's. Hopefully I'll have it all dried and melted by tomorrow. I have some of it dried, because I did it into batches and had to wait on some nitric, which arrived about two days after expected delivery date. Nevertheless, I'm almost completed on your mylars.

Also, because of the time it took me to do these and the work I've been doing with silver, my stockpot is 3/4 full. Once I process it, I'm going to split the proceeds between you and the other member I just sent silver to, even though I haven't sent yours yet. The other two new clients/members' mylars haven't been in here long enough yet for me to complete, considering how the weather has been. But the good news is that after tomorrow, we're suppose to be in the 70's for at least 3 days in a row, from what I've seen on the weather news.

Gotta go.. have to check the filtration.

I'll keep you all updated.... Stay Tuned!

Kevin

Ocean said:
How is my batch looking?
I'll post an update on your batch later on today.

{Personal Update}.. My wife had her surgery early this morning and they removed the gallstone(s). She said she's in some pain and they gave her some medicine and she's resting right now. If all her vitals hold up normal, she'll be coming home tomorrow. It's amazing how you can miss your spouse when they're not around. It's been 4+ days for me right now. I better have this house cleaned up by the time she gets here or I'm in for it :shock: .

The wife just called and her blood pressure is down below normal for her. She says the dr's said it's most likely the medicine they gave her after the surgery (I think Morphine).

[UPDATE]
Ericm.... WOW, your batch is cementing so good. During all of this refining, and since I found a new filtration filter, I managed to filter out anything that isn't silver from the solution before dropping the copper (ash and carbon). I'll get into that when I do my thread about processing silver.

But, from what I'm seeing so far in the 1500 ml beaker, there must be at least 60 grams of silver, which is still cementing, plus more cemented silver that has already dried out, but I haven't weighed or melted it yet. It's still raining here and the temp is in the low 50's, but tomorrow and for the next 3 days, it's going to be sunny and in the 70's.

Oh... I have some pictures too that I'm gong to post to show the work from this batch. Hopefully your batch will finish cementing later on today. The glass jar I have it in isn't rated for heat, so I haven't added any heat to speed up the process (because I broke one before when I heated one of my own, but thankfully I had it in a spill pot.

I'll have an update later on today....... Stay Tuned!

Kevin

testerman said:
Ocean said:
How is my batch looking?
I'll post an update on your batch later on today.

{Personal Update}.. My wife had her surgery early this morning and they removed the gallstone(s). She said she's in some pain and they gave her some medicine and she's resting right now. If all her vitals hold up normal, she'll be coming home tomorrow. It's amazing how you can miss your spouse when they're not around. It's been 4+ days for me right now. I better have this house cleaned up by the time she gets here or I'm in for it :shock: .

The wife just called and her blood pressure is down below normal for her. She says the dr's said it's most likely the medicine they gave her after the surgery (I think Morphine).

[UPDATE]
Ericm.... WOW, your batch is cementing so good. During all of this refining, and since I found a new filtration filter, I managed to filter out anything that isn't silver from the solution before dropping the copper (ash and carbon). I'll get into that when I do my thread about processing silver.

But, from what I'm seeing so far in the 1500 ml beaker, there must be at least 60 grams of silver, which is still cementing, plus more cemented silver that has already dried out, but I haven't weighed or melted it yet. It's still raining here and the temp is in the low 50's, but tomorrow and for the next 3 days, it's going to be sunny and in the 70's.

Oh... I have some pictures too that I'm gong to post to show the work from this batch. Hopefully your batch will finish cementing later on today. The glass jar I have it in isn't rated for heat, so I haven't added any heat to speed up the process (because I broke one before when I heated one of my own, but thankfully I had it in a spill pot.

I'll have an update later on today....... Stay Tuned!

Kevin

I hope your wife's recovery is complete, swift, and pain free.

The silver buttons came in today, thanks for all your help. Look forward to the next lot when you get caught up. Glad to hear your wife is doing better and getting out tomorrow.

ctgresale said:
The silver buttons came in today, thanks for all your help. Look forward to the next lot when you get caught up. Glad to hear your wife is doing better and getting out tomorrow.
Thank you too, for us doing business together. Hopefully we can do more again someday soon.

As far as my wife, she called me this morning and they are keeping her to at least tomorrow, because her blood count was low and they had to give her 2 units of blood. Hopefully she'll be home tomorrow. I'm on the phone with her now as I type. The Skype hasn't been acting right for about 4 days now.

[UPDATE]

Ericm,... There are just a few small blobs of silver floating on the top, but they have decreased considerably after I added more copper to the solution. I have been taking pictures of the whole process. I'll upload them later on. I will be filtering and drying the silver later tonight or tomorrow morning. If there is a delay in my wife coming home tomorrow, I'll get to melt the silver. I bought more propane and MAPP tanks a few days ago, so I'm ready to melt.

Stay Tuned!...

Kevin

Ericm, your silver has been shipped out (I'll pm the tracking info). Below are the photos and the yield from the mylars.

Shipped by USPS (Canada Post):
Total Package weight, including the box: 2.744 Kg (6.04 lbs). (Note: shippers will round up the weight if it's 1/2 lb or more of any weight)
Empty Box: Total Weight = 0.28 lbs
]Keyboard Mylars: Total Weight = 5.76 lbs.
Blank Mylars: Total Weight = 1.15 lbs
Total Printed Mylars + Miscellaneous Boards: 4.61 lbs.

Total silver powder recovered was 32.1 grams.
Total silver after melting was 29.8 grams.

The method for recovery was incineration, then Nitric bath, then dropped with copper, then melted.

The yield from this batch is less than I anticipated, yet I still have all the ash saved, because there is that possibility that some silver could be still trapped inside of some of the ash, although I crushed it good. Now I need to get a blender of some sort to make all the ash a powder where it'll sift through a 70+ mesh. So, I'll be redoing the incinerated mylars to make sure I actually got all the silver out of them because I don't want to loose anything of value to the trash bin.

At this point, I'm not sure which method is better, incineration or straight up nitric bath. Incineration still requires the nitric bath afterwards. Incineration is faster, but I'm not sure yet if it yields more or less, or the same as the nitric bath. I'll need to do my own experiments with both methods using the same exact mylars and not different ones to be accurate.

mylars-01.jpg

mylars-02.jpg

mylars-03.jpg

mylars-04.jpg

Thanks again Ericm for allowing me to do this for you. I'll be redoing all my incinerated ashes to see if I can recover more silver from them. If I do, I'll be sending them to the members I said I would.

==================
==================
==================

Ocean, you're up next. I'll post an update later on today because I have already processed 10 lbs worth so far. I should be completed in a few days.

Below are the package details:

Shipped by FedEx:
Total Package weight, including the box: 28 lbs. (Note: shippers will round up the weight if it's 1/2 lb or more of any weight)
Empty Box: Total Weight = 1.91 lbs
Keyboard Mylars: Total Weight = 25.35 lbs. (includes misc boards below)
Blank Mylars: Total Weight = 1.41 lbs
Miscellaneous Boards: Total Weight = 1.08 lbs

I'll post more info later on.

Stay Tuned......

Kevin

first let me say thank you Kevin, im very happy with your work.

since you told your would not split the silver in two , i basicaly get the same ammount of silver that i would have other way, so ther is no problem from me and take the folowing in a a constructive way

shipping from canada cost me 26$, that could and should be lowered with a commercial invoice if you feel more confortable in the futur with that option
yield are realy lower than what i was expected, im pretty sure it is from the incineration. i would suggest that you try 2 batch of similar material one incinerated and one regular nitric bath.

will you continue to take material? if we can reduce shipping and tweek the process making it perfect,i would probably send you more
once again thank you and keep it going until everything is perfect 8)

ericrm said:
first let me say thank you Kevin, im very happy with your work.

since you told your would not split the silver in two , i basicaly get the same ammount of silver that i would have other way, so ther is no problem from me and take the folowing in a a constructive way

shipping from canada cost me 26$, that could and should be lowered with a commercial invoice if you feel more confortable in the futur with that option
yield are realy lower than what i was expected, im pretty sure it is from the incineration. i would suggest that you try 2 batch of similar material one incinerated and one regular nitric bath.

will you continue to take material? if we can reduce shipping and tweek the process making it perfect,i would probably send you more
once again thank you and keep it going until everything is perfect 8)
Eric,

I'll definitely be going back over the material I have and the waste solution to recover more silver. I know for a fact that there is silver in the waste solution I have, yet, I have to regrind/powderize the ash I have to make sure I got everything.

I like the idea of the incineration, but I feel that the straight nitric bath recovers more. I'll be testing that theory after I complete this order I have now and one more order that is 11 lbs. After I do these batches, I'll be doing some of my own mylars, which I've put some of the same ones in lb batches. I'm going to incinerate 5 lbs of the same batch, and then I'm going to nitric bathe another 5 lbs of the same batch to know for sure. Right now I have enough of my own to really know for sure which method is actually better. This is another reason I said that all that I do recover from processing for other members, I'm going to make sure you all get what was recovered.

I really learned alot from this, yet, there is still more I need to learn. But doing this is comfortable to me... I just need to prove for a fact which method is better, whether slower or faster.

At all costs, I'll be reprocessing the materials to make sure I can report definite results and (or) averages.

Kevin

i just received my silver ,im very happy. the only thing is you wroted silver round on the package ,plz do not use that kind of description anymore, it is too easy to "lose" an item that way.
As i told before i hope you will continue to ameliorate the process because im putting all my milar on the side for you.
thanks again
Eric

ericrm said:
i just received my silver ,im very happy. the only thing is you wroted silver round on the package ,plz do not use that kind of description anymore, it is too easy to "lose" an item that way.
As i told before i hope you will continue to ameliorate the process because im putting all my milar on the side for you.
thanks again
Eric
Eric,

I'm glad you got your silver. The reason I had to write down silver round is because it had to go through Customs, which I wasn't aware of. Paper, books and a few other light items going to Canada don't require Customs forms. Since they (at the P.O.) told me I had no paper material in the package, I had to "Declare" the package. Also, once I paid for it, the tracking they gave me was only good enough up to the point of it arriving to customs. If anything should have happened and you didn't receive it, they would have owed me $30, because that what I declared the value of the package. If that happened, I would have given you the money because of it. But I don't know what else to write down being as though they're going to open the package anyway. I hate to have to not tell them exactly what's in the package and give them a reason to investigate me or even pulling a switch on the package. But I see your point, as I didn't even want to tell what was really in the package.

On the other note of the mylars..... I'm almost finished with the 28 lb package I received and I have the 11 lbs for another member to do. I just been trying to work many angles at the same time, my wife came home after 8 days in the hospital (she's doing fine now) and I got behind on a few things. I had to take two days to refine some gold I had to help financially at home. I melted a 4gram button last night (I'll post a picture in the Gallery).

Also, like I said earlier, I'm going to redo all the incinerated mylars I've done because I'm starting to believe incinerating the mylars somehow causes loss of some silver. I'll confirm that as soon as I get to redo the ashes. I need a blender of some sort to grind the ashes into a fine powder. After this batch I'm doing now, I'm going to use my original method (nitric bath), because I did get at least 12g average from my own batches I tried. Either way, no member will be at any loss at all, especially after I confirm the yields from each method.

I, however am going to change a few requirements in order for me to continue to do this as a service due to these things which made the work longer than anticipated.

1. Dirty mylars. They either have to be cleaned before the nitric bath or they'll have to go straight to the incinerator. I've gotten mylars that are so dirty, I wanted to throw them in the trash before I started incinerating them.

2. Blank mylars. I have to go through all the mylars and separate the blanks ones from in between the other ones from that set.

3. Remove the tabs. Many tabs on mylars have a taped side which is sticky and have to be removed to recover the silver. And because that one side is sticky, nitric bath isn't good for it because the silver, even though it's in suspension, still sticks to the sticky part. So, the best way to do the tabs is definitely incineration. Also, some tabs have copper plating on them which have to be cut off before processing.

4. Time consuming. Although I don't mid processing mylars, having to do the above is time consuming.

Once I finish with these 2 orders I have and then reprocess the ashes from the incineration, and then also refine my waste solution before disposing of it, I'll be accepting more mylars.

I have to think this out, but if I can get my yields accurate, I may even consider trading silver I refine myself for the mylars. Right now it's just a thought.

Kevin

When i first started refining i use to use my company name on the return address label. Now all i use is my personal name and if it ask for contents i write
" Craft supplies. "

ericrm said:
im a bit late on it but im glad that your wife got better
Thank you very much. It was her gallstones, which causes gall bladder (something like that). I was also told that a person can go without symptoms, and then it'll just hit them at once. It's mostly in women, but men get them too, as my father told me about his ordeal with gallstones.

Kevin

Ocean said:
Checking in.
I'm almost finished. I just dried some more powder today. What I have been doing also because you do have some nice exotic mylars, I've been taking pictures of them to be put in a database and hopefully someone can tell what devices any of them come out of. I should be finished in a few more days. Once I get all of them powdered and dried, I'll be melting them. We're suppose to get some rain between tonight and tomorrow. Since it's still pretty nice right now outside, I'll probably do some more tonight before I go to bed.

I'll give another update tomorrow sometime.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back