• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

tantalum capacitors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw gee, I was hoping to have hundreds of pictures of what the tantalum
caps, etc. look like. Maybe in the next edition? 8)

Coming this weekend I got about 20 different styles and colors in this past moth, but the kids lost the battery to the camera so I need to get that sorted out. (darn proprietary battery shapes). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric

acpeacemaker said:
Hey,

GSP stated in a post he believed the red plugged ones were running 40% ag.

-Andrew
From my records, the larger ones, Yield was 25 percent by weight average. by test and measure.
the smaller ones, even less, closer to 10 to 15 percent by weight. i would caution traders, that the silver value is there, but think tantalum recovery also on these.

" sharing "

glorycloud said:

Hey I just updated my blog with more and better pics. It now tells you what the different types of caps are graded as.

http://recycletantalumcapacitors.blogspot.com/

Next will be where to find them and what they look like on the boards.

If you see any mistakes send me a PM so I can get them corrected.

Thanks

Eric

etack said:
glorycloud said:

Hey I just updated my blog with more and better pics. It now tells you what the different types of caps are graded as.

Thanks

Eric

Hi,
I'm just thinking how many of those type you have listed under "Other Metals" that I've thrown away? I always thought they were ordinary aluminum electrolytics because of their appearance and light weight? So are all of the ones with a groove at the end like those really tantalum caps that are worth saving up to sell?

macfixer01

Woodworker1997 said:
If one wire is welded or soldered to the can, and there is only one wire soldered to the center of an insulated spot. Then it may be a tantalum cap.

Derek.

The way that is worded reminded me of Jeff Foxworthys redneck jokes :|

macfixer01 said:
etack said:
glorycloud said:

Thanks

Eric

Hi,
I'm just thinking how many of those type you have listed under "Other Metals" that I've thrown away? I always thought they were ordinary aluminum electrolytics because of their appearance and light weight? So are all of the ones with a groove at the end like those really tantalum caps that are worth saving up to sell?

macfixer01

the caps under other metals are Tantalum tantalum caps and a copper cased Tantalum cap (this is the only type of these I have ever seen) Most of the time they are much heavier than the other Tantalum Capacitors.
If they have an aluminum case and have crimps on both ends with the Ta leads coming out of it it is most likely a Tantalum foil type.
Wet electrolytic Tantalum capacitors come in two main types

1. Silver cased
2. Tantalum cased

Sometimes you see odd things like the Cu cased Cap

The arrays have Ag caps buried in a polymer inside of them.

Eric

Eric,

My email questions via your website went unanswered. I have over 10 pounds of Ta caps, but need the following answered:

One Ta Cap buyer says leads are fine, as they remove them and process them as #2 copper, or nickel for the welded leads. Do you require removal of the leads?

How do you handle shipping?

You might want to update your website, as Zone Alarm calls your website "suspicious" - I knew otherwise, but non-forum folks may flee.

Thanks,

Brian

Findm-Keepm said:
Eric,

My email questions via your website went unanswered. I have over 10 pounds of Ta caps, but need the following answered:

One Ta Cap buyer says leads are fine, as they remove them and process them as #2 copper, or nickel for the welded leads. Do you require removal of the leads?

How do you handle shipping?

You might want to update your website, as Zone Alarm calls your website "suspicious" - I knew otherwise, but non-forum folks may flee.

Thanks,

Brian

Thats funny you say this, I'm not sure why my emails on some aren't getting delivered. I actually sent another email asking if you still wanted to sell them. 8)

Please check your spam and see if I am ending up in it.

Eric

Forum members,

Just wanted to give a shout out to etack - I sold Eric some tantalum caps, and received prompt payment for same. Deal with confidence!

Cheers,

Eric,
Looking at the pictures and your replies from Nov. 08 and 09, 2012..... All this time I have been collecting the blue and yellow "tear-drop" ones thinking they were the ONLY ones with Tantalum in them. I usually discard the rest or keep them with the cards and boards for future sale. Is there no value at all in the blue and yellow ones ? (either Tantalum or something else ?)

Do you have a pic of what you are talking about?

Look on my site for more and better pics of Tantalum capacitors.

Eric

Eric,

I didn't see an answer to the question about the leads being cut or left on. I'm thinking of digging out my fancy screwdrivers and separating some of my stashed scrap and would hate to save a bunch of caps only to find out I did it wrong and you won't buy them. Mainly what I remember seeing in my scrap circuit boards are the thru hole and the SMD type caps. How careful do I need to be in removing them? Are cracked caps still OK? On the SMD type, what is the best way to remove them? Heat, plyers, chisel?

I'm not talking real large quantities but would expect several pounds before attempting to sell to make shipping worthwhile.

Thanks for alerting me (us) about the value of saving these parts. That, combined with the tin (steel), aluminum, copper, and tiny bit of gold might just convince me to tear these things apart after storing them for several years. They are/were old satellite boxes if that makes any difference.

bmgold2

I am not picky where they are from most of what I get is NOS. I got in yesterday 1000# of new caps retailed at well over $250,000.00, but like I like to tell my sellers its all scrap metal in the end. :lol:

No I do not care how they are removed or how long the leads are unless they are the Ta Ag style. If they are cracked it doesn't matter to me.

Just save them and ask me any questions you need also check out my blog for more pic. Also if you need me to look at pic send them to my email it works better for me. [email protected]

Eric

I just removed a few capacitors from my circuit boards that I think may be tantalum. Here's a picture of an assortment of them. The circled one is the only one I'm really questioning. I think it is probably just ceramic.

capacitors.jpg

Here's a zoomed in picture of the little ones in the bottom right. I cracked one apart to see what was inside.

little caps zoom.jpg

Here's a better picture of the one I'm questioning (?ceramic?) along with a similar one still on the circuit board.

zoom ceramic.jpg

There is a lot of SMD capacitors on a couple boards inside the devices I'm scrapping but they are smaller than I remembered and I didn't try to remove any of them yet. The ones in the pictures would add up a lot quicker as long as they are really tantalum. If anyone can confirm these are what we are looking for it would help keep me from saving the wrong things thinking I've got something worth separating.

bmgold2

None of what you pictured was a Ta cap.

Ta caps will be on boards have to do sound or high reliability. Ta caps are expensive so they will be in products that are expensive too.

When you look for through hole Ta caps they will be shape like the ghost off pacman round on top with straight side for the most part. They will also look like bullets or diode with a chamfer on one end.

Keep looking send me pics of boards and I will circle them for you too.

Eric

Back