100 Ounces of pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only using regular 3% house hold peroxide you can buy any where.

AP is a gold recovery method it is not a refining process.

It is a step in a longer process to get too refined gold.

It provides you the recovered gold plate at what ever karat it is , to then refine, or melt and cash in.

If only I could get 5 US gallons (is that 19 litres?) of nitric for $7 / gal + $50 postage! Where do I sign?! :)
I think if I could access nitric acid at all, I'd probably pay that for about 100ml.

Loved following this entire thread by the way. It's very encouraging to see your six shiny babies.

richoc,
I do not think you understood what Geo (or others responding to your post) have been saying, or when Geo said that using HCl and H2O2 can be used as a refining process to dissolve gold.

Or what he was trying to get across, that adding too much peroxide (even very dilute peroxide) can put gold into solution if added too much volume, or added too often, or the peroxide is more concentrated...

It seems you do not understand what we are trying to tell you.
I understand you want to share what you are doing and learning, but many of the things you have been posting hinges on being wrong or misleading, we have spent a lot of time trying to help members learn, and to get them to understand, and when you post misleading information it just makes it harder for us to help those who read it, and do not know the difference.

Acid/peroxide (AP) is an old refining technique to put powders and fines into solution. Granted, the hydrogen peroxide was 35% concentration or higher. Higher concentrations are very dangerous because it is a strong oxidizer and fuming hydrogen peroxide is explosive. Metallurgist and jewelers used hcl and concentrated hydrogen peroxide to dissolve fine gold waste. This is not some tale I made up to scare children to sleep at night, it is a fact. The way we use acid/peroxide is a work-around method pioneered by members of the forum. Like butcher said earlier, it's not the hcl or peroxide that puts the copper into solution, it's the copper(II) chloride in the presence of free oxygen. When you bubble air through copper(II) chloride, oxygen from the air is dissolved into the solution. This oxygen is what drives the reaction forward. Not everyone has this knowledge and they come here to learn, We try to teach them the science behind the reactions so that they understand what is happening and why. We also try to not say any one method is better than another or that any particular way of doing it is any better than another way. We encourage people to experiment and find the way that's best for them. Members that are experienced know that H2O2 and hcl will dissolve gold. There is a prescribed method that we promote for using AP on the forum and for you to say that your way is better than the way the forum teaches it, we would say, prove it. Of coarse you can't because we already know that hcl and H2O2 will dissolve gold prematurely causing new members to misplace or lose their hard work and their gold. You can fix it by simply stating that, it's your opinion that your way is better and not stating it as a fact.

Ok I will except that because our fix is to let it sit in a 5 gallon bucket, when the bucket gets full we test for gold.
SMB filter the drop and use the solution until it is super dark blue.
Then we go after the copper and all other metals we can get out.

The AP tank we use has a lid on it but has a few lines though it .
One or 2 are the in coming air which releases under the pin chamber for noi better word. The other line is over flow and venting,this leads up to a collection / over flow container and then next and last the venting goes in to a filter chamber.
Sealed system and washed and charcoal filtered exhast.
Like I said we could sell meets all law here in a regulation nuts town.

We all have Israille issue gas masks to ware ,when needed like when pouring any Nitric acid.

Refiners I think my acid prices are low because this area has or did have tons of plating shops, most doing car bumbers and motor cycle parts.

They know me ,they know I have 2 college degrees,they know my father, I call ahead and I pay at time of pick up.
Some times I pay for a new contianer when needed.

So if I ship one gallon sealed, bag sealed in a box UPS ground there is a $50 up front Hazmat charge.
No flying this stuff around.

If I could find a better way ,I would start a acid supply house and start shipping all over.

Rich

You could almost double the price of the nitric per gallon and charge $10 for the nitric per gallon and $50 hazmat for shipping. $60 per gallon is steep but I bet you would stay busy with it.

Here, nitric acid is $199.99 for 10L or 2.64 gallons.Of coarse it comes in 2.5L bottles.

Geo said:
Here, nitric acid is $199.99 for 10L or 2.64 gallons.Of coarse it comes in 2.5L bottles.

:shock:
That's just crazy - I can buy nitric for about $3.50 a gallon in a 15 gallon keg (looks just like a beer keg) there is a $200.00 deposit on the keg but thats no big problem because I bring it home & transfer the acid into my own barrel & then return theirs for my deposit back

Kurt

Latest posts

Back