2nd time gold attemp - updating live on forum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok here is my update

i did what steve said and i have had a good result...i can see the coffee colour powder and gold little bit's inside, have to wait another 6 hours to get the torch, can't wait...

the green liquid gave lot's and the yellow liquid gave very little, this explains the colour on the test...dark purple is a good colour indicator...for gold

I would like to say very big thankyou to everyone who tryed to help me getting through the task....still got a little bit left...

here are some pictures

Attachments

• H1150023.JPG
    H1150023.JPG
    120.3 KB
  • H1150026.JPG
    H1150026.JPG
    119.8 KB
  • H1150029.JPG
    H1150029.JPG
    119.2 KB
  • H1150031.JPG
    H1150031.JPG
    120.3 KB
now for the yellow liquid this was a bit of a problem but i think i did this wrong when i tryed the cpu's....it have a bad smell...like hcl and would hit your eyes when you heat it up.....

when i had the yellow liquid on the hot plate and added some smb it would act different ....to the green one...

the yellow had a colour change when i did a test...but not purple but brownish and i kept on adding smb but still not much dropped but test changed colour everytime.

the green liquid had no colour change when i finished

Attachments

• H1150030.JPG
    H1150030.JPG
    117 KB
  • H1150035.JPG
    H1150035.JPG
    119.6 KB
  • H1150036.JPG
    H1150036.JPG
    118.3 KB
Barren Realms 007 said:
Not bad, not let's see how it looks when you get it melted. Congrat's

thankyou...i only did what people on the forum told me so without them i would have really struggled...

any ideas how to melt it?..shall i heat the melting dish first and then add it in or shall i add it in and heat as i go along.

i can get the melting dish hot orange and then put in the gold powder, do i add in borax or is that at the end..

pgm said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
Not bad, not let's see how it looks when you get it melted. Congrat's

thankyou...i only did what people on the forum told me so without them i would have really struggled...

any ideas how to melt it?..shall i heat the melting dish first and then add it in or shall i add it in and heat as i go along.

i can get the melting dish hot orange and then put in the gold powder, do i add in borax or is that at the end..

If your yellow liquid does not test positive you might not have any PM's in the solution. If all else fails and nothing drops and does not test's of positive you can add a piece of copper to the solution and see if anything drops and reprocess it or use some zinc to drop what might be in your solution and reprocess.

Make sure your melting dish has been seasoned and fluxed. Add your gold powder to your crucible before you heat it up, add your flux before you heat the gold and you don't need to use a lot of flux if your gold is clean.

ok here are the picture not had time to weigh it yet but i will try to do this today.

i think it will be 2g but could be wrong, i also added some borax and i might have added a it too much but dont know

Attachments

• H1160001.JPG
    H1160001.JPG
    114.9 KB
  • H1160002.JPG
    H1160002.JPG
    112.7 KB
goldenchild said:
Well done. Do you plan on refining your gold again?

thankyou goldenchild

i am going to do it again but larger amount this time need to save on the nitric and hcl

i have heard of mixing water with hcl then boiling and then adding nitric, what do you think is this good idea? and if you think this would be good what percentage? 70% hcl and 30% water...i will be doing 5 times as much next time same as this i want to see a big nuget.....by the way the weight was 1.2g whoever said this was 100% correct.

pgm said:
goldenchild said:

thankyou goldenchild

i am going to do it again but larger amount this time need to save on the nitric and hcl

i have heard of mixing water with hcl then boiling and then adding nitric, what do you think is this good idea? and if you think this would be good what percentage? 70% hcl and 30% water...i will be doing 5 times as much next time same as this i want to see a big nuget.....by the way the weight was 1.2g whoever said this was 100% correct.

I meant to ask if you will refine the gold you ended up with once more but I'm glad to see that you're hooked like the rest of us 8) If I were you I would try to recover/refine your incoming material the traditional way before adding another variable to the equation like diluting. This way you can get more practice and understand the "why" in all the processes or else you can end up with a big mess again. Also see if the way I outlined above works better adding the acids in increments and processing your scrap in batches and not all at once. Again congrats.

Buzz said:
Hey PGM,

Just noticed your location.

Are you based in Yorkshire?
I'm in Wakefield.

Regards
Buzz

Hi Buzz, well i am next door Bradford, i did live in leeds and halifax well a bit everywhere. So what do you refine or is it just research?

goldenchild said:
pgm said:
goldenchild said:

thankyou goldenchild

I meant to ask if you will refine the gold you ended up with once more but I'm glad to see that you're hooked like the rest of us 8) If I were you I would try to recover/refine your incoming material the traditional way before adding another variable to the equation like diluting. This way you can get more practice and understand the "why" in all the processes or else you can end up with a big mess again. Also see if the way I outlined above works better adding the acids in increments and processing your scrap in batches and not all at once. Again congrats.

sound advice mate....i am now adding the acid in small amount and this is working better for me....less headache when it come to getting ride on the nitric..not going to be using urea only SMB..do you think i should refine the last small bit of gold again....you think it is still not 100%?

It doesnt appear to be as pure as it could be. Not many people get .995 on their very first try myself included. But its up to you. You can save it as your first button or you could put it together with your next batch of recovered gold and refine it together with that.

goldenchild said:
It doesnt appear to be as pure as it could be. Not many people get .995 on their very first try myself included. But its up to you. You can save it as your first button or you could put it together with your next batch of recovered gold and refine it together with that.

i understand what you are saying but i can't

i have a sample of rh + pt and pd all with assey reports my first ones that went good and they are really good but i did get help with them.. the same will happen with this gold it is more of the challenge i like. even the next one i will more be adding to my wall....after about 6-7 nuggets i think i will then be more happy with myself.

i was thinking it was not as shine as i would like but i think i know why this is....i washed 1 sample a few times but the others i had already put into filter so was stuck but i now think the first AR is to get the gold powder the secound time is to purify the powder or as washing it....more practice and more practice and i think i will improve quick.....i have just done a leach 2500ml of hcl and 200ml of nitric and still there is gold left on the fingers, but i have added in alot more fingers this time, i am trying to do it this time via memory and notes.....it should work like clock work....will upload more pics when i am finished..

Latest posts

Back