An alternative passive stripping system

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
capt_dugout said:
evolx10 said:
Well as with quite a bit of our supplies, http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs1/1467/index.htm..

this would be a good point to mention the keeping of records.
I try to keep a record of all chemicals in inventory and the amounts used in each of my experiments. At some point we should all expect a visit from our local LEOs due to the ilicit use of many of the chemicals used to refine PMs.

A little time done on keeping notes could prevent a lot of notes on doing time.

you've brought out an absolute point here with your post, I believe that everyone here - at least in the United States - should begin keeping written records of their chemical inventories, transactions, material usages, and processing techniques in the interest of preserving their own personal legal status with the local Law Enforcement in good standing. If Homeland Security catches wind of your activities and decides to investigate, being labeled as a terrorist by them IS NO JOKE!

Having done your record keeping, perhaps an invitation to have a LEO you're familiar with review and record your operation, or even keeping the contact info on government officials whom you have familiarized yourself with and whom you have educated as to your intention and operative results are would go a long way in keeping you off any watch lists.

Unfortunately... American freedom has come to this. These are sensitive times we live in, taking steps to keep yourself protected is your best hope to continue free from any aggression from Law Enforcement - Perhaps an addendum to the welcome message for these forums that includes this type of warning is in order...

good bump, & good read but................

Code:
i don't see how this went from "alternative passive stripping system" to "Failed Experiment" to 
"Homeland Security investigation" & "being labeled as a terrorist" to "absolutely nothing"

not the climax i was anticipating.

Dear all,

Dear All
A Very Good morning to you all....

I would like to know whether if there is an alternative chemical to Sodium Cynaide, which is used in stripping gold from cast pieces to give shine below the diamonds before filing???

If yes what is the name of the solution & how that chemicals can be used to strip gold?? Can anybody give full details of the chemicals in full please...

Can you please guide as I am having a problem of black stones & want to give luster below the diamonds, as processing by the Magnetic polisher does not give the required shine & the jewelry looks dull & life less.
Someone suggested to use Sodium Cynide, but i am not comfortable with the idea of using it from the point of view of Handling & safety....
Please if anyone can shed light on this issue I will great full. I need a reply for this message ASAP...
Thanking you
Best regards,
Prakash v Pai
INDIA

When etching a metal as far as I believe to know it will never be left with a shiny surface, but it will be dull. In the case of metals this is definately true for iodine and any acid etchants.

I have read that glass can be etched to have a shiny surface. If this works with metals somehow, it must be special cases, maybe additives, but I am pretty sure, the common leaches will not have that effect. Maybe you should try to find commercial strippers that can do this job.

The procedure is a well known method that at least has been used in jewellery manufacturing. It is called "Bombing" when polishing with cyanide. Some of the gold goes into solution and leaves a finer surface.
http://www.finishing.com/51/98.shtml
And as always... it's been discussed here before.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5443

In fact, chemical polishing of metals is well known in many industries. Also combined as electrochemical methods.

Göran

I don't know, I just found the old thread and thought it might contain some information.

As this is a question for jewellery manufacturing I would suggest to go to a site like http://ganoksin.com and look for answers from jewellers.
I went there and searched for "bombing" in the archives and got 230 hits. Maybe one of those could be of interest, but I'm not going to read them myself, that's for prakash2016 to do.

Göran

Latest posts

Back