Any ideas?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are aircraft fuses or voltage limiters made by the Burndy company.
I will guess that the fuse material is either tin or silver plated tin or copper and your precipitate looks like iron most likely.
If you can find the model number or vac rating on these you should be able to possibly find a spec sheet that states the metals used.

If the one is sterling/925...etc, it would generally be stamped that on the bottom.

As far as the other one being alloyed PM's?... It maybe just the picture, but the tone and finish on it doesn't indicate to me that's alloyed PM's. Use some test solution and do a stannous test, you'll have your answer.
I'm going to assume then that the first one is just plated as I cannot find any other markings besides the Oneida Silversmiths.

As for the other, I will do a stannous test, I was not aware solid material good be tested with stannous. That's great to know and I will have my answer here shortly.

Thank you

Those are aircraft fuses or voltage limiters made by the Burndy company.
I will guess that the fuse material is either tin or silver plated tin or copper and your precipitate looks like iron most likely.
If you can find the model number or vac rating on these you should be able to possibly find a spec sheet that states the metals used.
I'm going to say silver plated tin. I have saved one little piece, but the rest of it was disposed of. I have a few other parts to go through, we've tried finding any trace of the history of this plane and cannot. There are only 23 known B-47s left in existence and this one is surely not one of them. Kind of a cool mystery.

Thank you

I'm going to assume then that the first one is just plated as I cannot find any other markings besides the Oneida Silversmiths.

As for the other, I will do a stannous test, I was not aware solid material good be tested with stannous. That's great to know and I will have my answer here shortly.

Thank you

The PM's testing solutions are basically AR and will dissolve a little of the surface.

Put a drop or two of the testing solution onto the surface of what you want to test and let it react. Once the reaction stops, dip a Q-tip or piece of filter paper into the solution....then use stannous to test for PM's. Unfortunately if it's gold plated it'll give you a false positive.

I would keep the silver plated piece. Sreetips has a YouTube video where he processed a silver plated platter that had a heavy layer of silver on it...who knows if your piece is similar.

"I clearly state that I added "brine" to nitric I decanted off a mixed batch of chips I had been refining and found a unknown precipitate and was wondering if anyone knew what it was."

I wonder what color the decanted fluid was before the brine was added. Did you filter it while/after decanting? I would expect silver and/or lead chloride if the HCl caused a milky/whiteness to form. Otherwise it seems no/ silver or lead is present.

I can't imagine the process as you describe it PRECIPITATED carbon. There are tests that can be run on the pregnant nitric solution to indicate what might be in it. The process you ran is a bit of a shortcut - ignoring quite a bit that could be in the nitric solution. I suggest you lookup qualitative tests of minerals, closely follow the instructions and see if you get clear results.

I laid out for you EXACTLY what I did, I can not describe it anymore clearly. I was checking for silver nitrate with a sodium chloride solution, then I observed precipitate the next morning that I had never seen before. I explained where the solution came from that I was testing. What was not clear?

It doesn't matter though, plenty of other resources of information out there. I really wonder what this sites retention rate is? I'm guessing it's not that high.
That is not correct.
I had to drag it out of you piece by piece.

A proper description contains as a minimum this:
What is the starting material and how you plan to process it.
Then each step of the process, what you expect from that step and what you do if it is not as expected.
Often new people post this on the forum to check their plan to see f it holds up.
This way we can correct and adjust what needs to be done.

You just pushed on and did your stuff and comes here for help without giving us the whole picture.
Sadly this situation is rather common though.

Holy crap - this thread has gone completely off the rails (IMO)

It started out asking if anyone had any ideas what some parts out of a B-47 might be

Then something about IC chip processing got thrown in

Now there are questions about some platers (likely silver plated) thrown in here

Those are three different things & should be three different threads !!!

What's going to get thrown into this thread next ???

Something about karat gold - gold filled - ceramic capacitors etc. etc. etc. ?!?!?!

Let me put it this way --- I would likely be interested in helping with the IC chip questions - BUT - I am NOT interested in reading through a bunch of other posts about a bunch of other stuff in order to fish the posts about IC chips out of this mess in order to help in providing info/answers about IC chips

If you have questions about different types of material - then you need to start a thread concerning each different type of material so that the discussion can be focused on THAT type material

:oops: :rolleyes: :unsure: o_O

Kurt

Last edited:
Holy crap - this thread has gone completely off the rails (IMO)

It started out asking if anyone had any ideas what some parts out of a B-47 might be

Then something about IC chip processing got thrown in

Now there are questions about some platers (likely silver plated) thrown in here

Those are three different things & should be three different threads !!!

What's going to get thrown into this thread next ???

Something about karat gold - gold filled - ceramic capacitors etc. etc. etc. ?!?!?!

Let me put it this way --- I would likely be interested in helping with the IC chip questions - BUT - I am NOT interested in reading through a bunch of other posts about a bunch of other stuff in order to fish the posts about IC chips in order to help in providing info/answers about IC chips

If you have questions about different types of material - then you need to start a thread concerning each different type of material so that the discussion can be focused on THAT type material

:oops: :rolleyes: :unsure: o_O

Kurt
Except for the latest plated/Sterling items.
It all started in the first post since the B-47 parts and the Chips was introduced there.
And I agree it should have been 3 threads, these problems occur is when the transitions happen midway in the threads and one do not notice it.

Back