Anyone use a melting furance?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoryWLU

I see melting furnaces are quite affordable. Has anyone used one? Hiw are they. Is there anything to avoid when looking at them or must haves? Thank you.

You'll need to give a little more information to get good advice. Are you talking about the little electric type, propane or gas fired, etc? How large a furnace are you looking for, like how much do you intend to melt at a time? Do you want to melt gold, silver, other?

Dave

You'll need to give a little more information to get good advice. Are you talking about the little electric type, propane or gas fired, etc? How large a furnace are you looking for, like how much do you intend to melt at a time? Do you want to melt gold, silver, other?

Dave
I saw a vevor electric with 1kg and 3kg crucible. I have 12-14k little pieces. Want to pour a bar. Will it still be 12 to 14k. Ir is it easy to separate the gold. The refining places seem like a waste of time. Their website say the do personal orders. But when you talk them they aren't invested in the business, they just want large quantities from company's and businesses. I figure I have lots of time to learn. I don't mind making mistakes and losing money. That's how you learn. Thought a couple hundred buck fir an electric setup was a good starting point and once I get a feel for it and learn more can invest more into a better system.

One thing to be careful with the small resistance heat furnaces is capacity. They rate the crucibles for 1 kg of pure gold, which is half a kilo of silver and a little more than half a kilo of mixed karat. So capacity, and the fact that they don't last very long and the crucibles are pricey would steer me towards a propane furnace. A furnace that holds a #2 bilge crucible will be good for smaller melts and serve you well as you scale up to refining. They are also quite reasonably priced and if you want to get into refining and what you refine is jewelry related, remember if you use inquartation, which we highly recommend, you need crucible capacity to inquart.

One thing to be careful with the small resistance heat furnaces is capacity. They rate the crucibles for 1 kg of pure gold, which is half a kilo of silver and a little more than half a kilo of mixed karat. So capacity, and the fact that they don't last very long and the crucibles are pricey would steer me towards a propane furnace. A furnace that holds a #2 bilge crucible will be good for smaller melts and serve you well as you scale up to refining. They are also quite reasonably priced and if you want to get into refining and what you refine is jewelry related, remember if you use inquartation, which we highly recommend, you need crucible capacity to inquart.
Never heard of inquartation. Thanks for the advice will research those units. Not is a rush. Want something for the new year. I would do small batches. Dont want the bars bigger then 10 ounces. Kinda have the option to do 1 or 10 ounce pieces roughly. 100 ounce or 1 kilo bars I don't want that much in one bar. I don't mind if it stays 12k-14k but would like to learn how to separate. I just don't get how it all pours out and doesn't stick to the inside of the pot. Like, if you pour a glass of cream, the glass will be empty be still lined with cream. Sorry if that is a bad example. Just a young guy learning.

I saw a vevor electric with 1kg and 3kg crucible. I have 12-14k little pieces. Want to pour a bar. Will it still be 12 to 14k. Ir is it easy to separate the gold. The refining places seem like a waste of time. Their website say the do personal orders. But when you talk them they aren't invested in the business, they just want large quantities from company's and businesses. I figure I have lots of time to learn. I don't mind making mistakes and losing money. That's how you learn. Thought a couple hundred buck fir an electric setup was a good starting point and once I get a feel for it and learn more can invest more into a better system.
After you have melted the scrap it has no markings anymore and can not be sold as is.

Many forum members started with very little to no experience. A few have went on to become large scale and some stayed small scale. And a few decided it wasn't for them and moved on. So if you need to learn here is the place to do it. Welcome to GRF.

Latest posts

Back