I Need an XRF, because my refinery pinches. Any help appreciated!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on good terms with the guy who operates my somewhat nearby refinery. I've always suspected they may pinch a little, but if so, it's probably just a little. Moreover, when my packages go to their other locations (for aquia regia process to remove diamonds or when I mail it in) every karat bag comes up noticably short in purity. I need an XRF so I can melt my scrap into a cake and XRF it before sending it in.

But I see websites with $12K XRF and others with $2k models.

Are there decent budget models I can use for gold and silver?
Are there good sources for used and remanufactured guns?
And are there models and sources I should avoid?

You guys are the only ones in the universe to ask this as a group. So please guide me with your collective wisdom.

Thanks!
I'm on good terms with the guy who operates my somewhat nearby refinery. I've always suspected they may pinch a little, but if so, it's probably just a little. Moreover, when my packages go to their other locations (for aquia regia process to remove diamonds or when I mail it in) every karat bag comes up noticably short in purity. I need an XRF so I can melt my scrap into a cake and XRF it before sending it in.

You guys are the only ones in the universe to ask this as a group. So please guide me with your collective wisdom.

Thanks!
I assume from your comments it is all jewellery you are sending? If so the Thermo Scientific Niton DXL was specifically built for the purpose of jewellery. I bought one many years ago and it has been spot on for all jewellery and accurate for this type of material. It paid for itself in 3 weeks. Do not buy a cheap one as its a waste of money which I stupidly did. Here is a link https://www.nitonuk.co.uk/dxl/

I am old and retired and firmly entrenched in the chemical fire assay camp so you will have to rely on members who have purchased instruments recently.
I

Thanks!
maybe you don’t have to lash out $20K for an XRF, do what I did & ‘Buddy up’ with someone who has one and when you need get them to ‘Shoot’ it for you, my dealer charges me $10.00 a time.
Just photo the reading..

Well worth it me thinks..
Cheers
Tony

I assume from your comments it is all jewellery you are sending? If so the Thermo Scientific Niton DXL was specifically built for the purpose of jewellery. I bought one many years ago and it has been spot on for all jewellery and accurate for this type of material. It paid for itself in 3 weeks. Do not buy a cheap one as its a waste of money which I stupidly did. Here is a link https://www.nitonuk.co.uk/dxl/
Yowza. Thanks for the model recommendation; I really mean that. But it looks like I'll have to pass until I'm making $200K per year profit.

I

maybe you don’t have to lash out $20K for an XRF, do what I did & ‘Buddy up’ with someone who has one and when you need get them to ‘Shoot’ it for you, my dealer charges me $10.00 a time.
Just photo the reading..

Well worth it me thinks..
Cheers
Tony
That's a good idea. But who is my best bet? Pawn shop? Coin dealer? I wonder if anybody in this fairly small town has one of these.

Most XRF analyzers use ED (energy dispersive) or WD (wave dispersive) technology to obtain results, each with pros and cons. In general, they work well if they are calibrated, have appropriate emitters / receivers of sufficient power selected for specific elements and have a well-prepared, homogenous sample to analyze. Their main advantage is speed, more so for the hand-held models (generally 20-40K$) than the bench top (generally 50K$+) ones. Accuracy and precision of handheld models can suffer in a multielement, non-homogenous environment because of low power, small window and calibration. XRFs basically give an analysis of the surface of the sample and have little penetration. As mentioned, annual upkeep is significant. Proper procedures will minimize the dangers of xray radiation.

A certified assay will generally be under $200 (including sampling and shipping) but will take longer to obtain.
If you live in a city, many pawnshops, bullion dealers and we-buy-gold shops will have an XRF for the very purpose you describe. Many will provide a quick analysis for a minimal cost.

Latest posts

Back