Aqua Regia attempt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you had a challenging start. Next time, slowly add nitric acid to hydrochloric acid rather than mixing them all at once. Properly neutralize the solution and carefully add SMB. Use sulfuric acid slowly if needed. For now, it might be best to start fresh with a new batch and follow a reliable guide.

It sounds like you had a challenging start. Next time, slowly add nitric acid to hydrochloric acid rather than mixing them all at once. Properly neutralize the solution and carefully add SMB. Use sulfuric acid slowly if needed. For now, it might be best to start fresh with a new batch and follow a reliable guide.
If you neutralize the solution the SMB wont work.
SMB need at least pH of 4 or better lower than 2.
I guess you meant decompose/ destroy the Nitric?

Yeah, a lot of people say, neutralize the nitric acid. I don’t think they understand what it means, chemical reactions don’t tend to like to occur in a neutral pH. They like it on one under the other of the spectrum get the ions moving around.. I save the sludge from the broken dish, and maybe I’ll mess with it another time. Right now I’m back to my cast-iron pan in my hammer, making some new dust to pan.

Latest posts

Back