Breaking Glass...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never used a magnetic stirrer/hot plate much, although I've owned many of them. They can be more of a pain than they're worth. Good for some titrations. Might help dissolve DMG in water. BTW, when testing for Pd, DMG in water is much more sensitive in water than in alcohol, according to some experiments I recently performed. It also reacts more quickly. Many books say to make it (1% DMG) in water.

Lately, I've taken to using a big $40 electric skillet as a heat source for dissolving Au powder in AR. I put a 5 liter Corning Ware, square, white, Pyroceram, StoveTop dish in the skillet and do about 10 oz at a time, plus the filter paper it was on, directly in the dish. If you drive it, it's dissolved, and the paper is pulped, in about 20 minutes. The problem is that you have to tone the AR down, in order to avoid too much gold loss from the large area at the surface. I've thought about inverting the dome shaped Pyrex lid so it would act more like a watch glass. The problem would then be in how to lift the lid efficiently.

Chris, If you take it to a glass cutting shop like for windows they can drill you a hole in it for about $3-5. Then you could flip it upside down and put a wood or plastic handle on the other side attached with a nylon thread screw. :?:

Palladium said:
Chris, If you take it to a glass cutting shop like for windows they can drill you a hole in it for about $3-5. Then you could flip it upside down and put a wood or plastic handle on the other side attached with a nylon thread screw. :?:

The lids are bought separately and have a glass knob that's part of the lid - my employee thinks he can cut it off with a Dremel. That's a very good idea, Ralph, but you can't use nylon with the strong acids. PVC or CPVC (hi-temp PVC) nuts, bolts, and washers are readily available and could be used instead. I think you can get them in Teflon also.

Here's what the lids look like.

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corningware/stovetop-glass-cover-6021845

For only a couple of bucks, I would trust a glass shop first. I had them drill some holes in some marbles one time so it shouldn't be a problem for them.

I have used a glass lid with the knob left on upside down in place of a proper watch glass. It does no harm to leave the knob on. The lids for corning dishes usually fit down into the bottom so using it right side up shouldn't be any trouble either.

Palladium said:
For only a couple of bucks, I would trust a glass shop first. I had them drill some holes in some marbles one time so it shouldn't be a problem for them.

You can buy cheapo Chinese Diamond drills on Fleabay, They're only good for a few holes but, for a couple of bucks, it's cheaper than driving to the glass shop. The trick is to keep a trickle of water going in the hole to flush out the ground glass and to keep it cool so the glass doesn't break. Practice on a glass food jar to get the hang of it.

Most all modern cookware has a lid designed to force the condensate to run to the outside edge and drip down the slightly tapered walls of the pot. This has a washing effect to the inside of the pot above the liquid line and also reduces the splashing that mite cause some foods to crust up on the inside of the pot.

We all know that even cookware will fail to return the condensate back to the pot under a very rapid boil, it wants to blow out and boil over. Some cookware need to go back to the drawing board even.

I Just can't see that flipping our lids will improve something that's built into the cook ware already.

KO, :) , lets all go to the lab and boil some water and we can flip lids and see what becomes of it.

Ray

Latest posts

Back