Building a new shed! _fumescrubber_

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philddreamer

A week and a half ago, my son and I started building an 8' x 8' shed where I'll be able to recover and refine in a much comfortable and safer atmosphere. I'll be sharing some pic's as I download them ...

I want to express my gratitude to Noxx and our Moderators, as well as to all our fellow members at GRF.
Thank you all!

Phil D Dreamer 8)

_fumescrubber_

Attachments

• e-scrap 004.JPG
    e-scrap 004.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,196
  • e-scrap 017.JPG
    e-scrap 017.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,196
  • e-scrap 014.JPG
    e-scrap 014.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,196
  • e-scrap 013.JPG
    e-scrap 013.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,196
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not convinced that you are as dedicated to this hobby as the rest of us. Why does your backyard look so nice? Where are the piles of junk? I don't see one bucket, tractor, cement mixer, or piles of scrap iron. How do you do it?

He do that incognito. James Bond style. No point on giving clues that there may be some value in da house. :mrgreen:

That's a beauty Phil, looking forward to more pictures
Thanks, Jonn, and you betcha!

We got done with the shed 3 days ago; the weather didn't cooperate, so it took a couple of days more than expected.
Now what's left is all the refining gadgets that need to be build and or installed. I'm using some of the tables from the old shed, as well as the 4' hood that I built two months ago. I'm using some of the material from the old shed to build frames and benches outside.
This all started when I purchased a 10' x 20' portable garage canopy and I wanted to build floor frame. After doing the math, it was better to build a shed!

Attachments

• e-scrap 003.JPG
    e-scrap 003.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,176
  • e-scrap 002.JPG
    e-scrap 002.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,176
  • e-scrap 001.JPG
    e-scrap 001.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,176
Well done! I can't wait to have a more permanent setup like this, it gets a bit tedious having to carry everything outside on a nice day. I look forward to more pictures, as I have enjoyed the journey and progress pictures.

All the best,

A refiners dream comes true!

it is really beautiful; thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures.

Btw; do you have a thread about your particular scrubber? or did you just start making them from scratch?

Cheers!

I'm not convinced that you are as dedicated to this hobby as the rest of us. Why does your backyard look so nice? Where are the piles of junk? I don't see one bucket, tractor, cement mixer, or piles of scrap iron. How do you do it?
Here... these pic's are for you! You doubting Thomas! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just kept them all out of the frame. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• e-scrap 007.JPG
    e-scrap 007.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,172
  • e-scrap 008.JPG
    e-scrap 008.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,171
  • e-scrap 006.JPG
    e-scrap 006.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,172
  • e-scrap 005.JPG
    e-scrap 005.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,172
[quote} He do that incognito. James Bond style. No point on giving clues that there may be some value in da house.[/quote]
That's correct, Pat! :lol: You don't know how many times I've had to go out, pretending to be looking at the stars, and then sneek into the old shed. :mrgreen: I hope I won't have to do it no more!

[/quote]Well done! I can't wait to have a more permanent setup like this, it gets a bit tedious having to carry everything outside on a nice day. I look forward to more pictures, as I have enjoyed the journey and progress pictures.
All the best,[/quote]
Thanks, AUH-R, I hope your dream shed comes true soon! I'll continue posting pic's as work progresses.

Phil

That looks great! Are you going to tie the building down in any way? I am in Iowa and we get several storms a year that would probably blow it over, maybe you don't get winds like that there. Again, that looks like a very nice set up. Well done!

A refiners dream comes true!
it is really beautiful; thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures.
Btw; do you have a thread about your particular scrubber? or did you just start making them from scratch?

Cheers!
Thanks, 9kuuby9!

In regards to the scrubber, its a simple design that has been posted several times by 4metals and others.
I'm just using a 33 inch piece of 4" sewer plastic pipe, filling the inside with wiffle golf balls and 5 quarts of distilled water and sodium hydroxide; then capping both and bubbling the acid vapors thru the causitic solution.

I hope this helps.
Take care!
Phil

Attachments

• e-scrap 005.JPG
    e-scrap 005.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,149
  • e-scrap 006.JPG
    e-scrap 006.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,149
  • e-scrap 008.JPG
    e-scrap 008.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,149
Do you make lunch in the microwave?
No way, Bro! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was used for boiling water when a built the old shed, but not enough power to run it, so I mothball it. :mrgreen:

That looks great! Are you going to tie the building down in any way? I am in Iowa and we get several storms a year that would probably blow it over, maybe you don't get winds like that there. Again, that looks like a very nice set up. Well done!
Thanks, Claudie! We usually don't get winds that strong, so... I think I'm okay! I hope! :mrgreen:

Phil your ole shed is beginning to look like my mess (I mean lab).
If it wasn't for the insurance guy that's coming over, it would have stayed that way! :mrgreen: My son is my landlord, so he said: you gotta clean the mess some!

9kuuby9, the set of "scrubbers" I'll be installing follow this principal:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4776&hilit=scrubber&start=80#p49852

Phil

philddreamer said:
9kuuby9, the set of "scrubbers" I'll be installing follow this principal:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4776&hilit=scrubber&start=80#p49852

Phil

Thank you for the pictures and the link Phill, It really brings up the necessary motivation to start building one :)

In July I'll start building a cylindrical type scrubber ; I'll soon make a thread about it.

Cheers,

Ben

what do you use to force the air to bubble through that much water? just seems to me to be too tall for something like a vacuum cleaner. and can it move enough air for a fume hood? or just a single beaker?

Thank you for the pictures and the link Phill, It really brings up the necessary motivation to start building one
In July I'll start building a cylindrical type scrubber ; I'll soon make a thread about it.
Cheers,
Ben
You're welcome, Ben! I'm looking forward to see some pic's of your project.
Take care!

MysticColby wrote:
what do you use to force the air to bubble through that much water? just seems to me to be too tall for something like a vacuum cleaner. and can it move enough air for a fume hood? or just a single beaker?
I'll be building something like this design 4metals posted:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15919&p=160529&hilit=valves#p160380
I'll have a smaller line to scrub the Nox fumes from the reactors; and 6" pipe to blow fumes outside from the hood. Nothing fancy, just better than the one I've been using. :p
Take care!

Go Phil go!!! Looks good and you'll still have a respectable lawn when your done. Actually in the same type of process myself. I'm moving my fume hood/lab to it's own room in my shop, just got the base cabinets moved in there and measured up for the epoxy resin counter top, just waiting for the call tomorrow with the price.

Attachments

• DSC00570.JPG
    DSC00570.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 1,105
Phil,the whole thing looks great. it looks like something you will enjoy working in. to make it a real man cave though, you will need a vending machine that dispenses only beer and a gold plated toilet.

Latest posts

Back