can i...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
butcher said:
Now you tell me after took a few pictures, went out and found some large gauge wire bent it to shape made some dish shaped curves with bent over ears and welded them together, they do not look as pretty as the picture but they hold the dish, oh well I will try these then order a pair and wait for them.

Small Melting Dish Holder
by EuroTool
on Amazon for $7.95 looks like the ebay one, building things is part of the learning for me, :lol:

the wire used in utility lines is not very flexible but it can be bent. the guy wire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy-wire or the steel strand in EC cable.

I just took some wire , or some might call it small steel rod about 3/16 diameter, about four foot long, put a 3/4" piece of pipe in the vice, bent the wire in half, then circling around the pipe to make the spring loop in the handle, about 9" up bent both rods so thy would cross making the X shape and straighten them back in line with the handle, cut two pieces of rod about 7" long put a curve like a “C” shape in them on the anvil, put these in a vise bent the ears over that face inward over the dish lip, and moved the “C” up in the vice and put some sideways kink in these, then welded these to the handle, and cut off the extra rod from the handle that went past the welded area of these “C” shaped dish holders, really not much to making this one did not take more than a half hour, to bend it up and weld it.

It is taking me a lot longer to write about how they were made than to make them.

I have made a lot of tools, and make my own blacksmith tools, I also do a lot of fabrication.
Heck I have even made me a nice black powder rifle, I traded for a new black powder rifle barrel at a swap meet to fit my rifle well the barrel did not fit my rifle, so I decided to make a rifle out of it, so I took my rifle apart and started copying each piece of metal, but plate and patch plate trigger guard and other pieces made from brass, then hammer trigger side plates and so on from iron and steel, then sawed and carved and sanded the wood gun stock, I did buy a spring because I did not trust my homemade springs to last, so besides the barrel and spring the rest of the gun is homemade.

Wow so many tips!!
Thanks for the speedy response to all. I used my melting dish this morning and taking the advice I got from this lovely site I used a soon the dust the dish with Borax( i see what ya'll mean about the fluffing up) but I eventually was using the torch to flow the puddles of borax that accumulated to fully galze the dish. the gold I used this for was just a test batch and I wanted not to use alot of gold for it so I made Rose Gold of 90% Au and 10% of Cu by weight for a total of eight grams fifty percent of the au was from a 24K necklace in solid form to melt before i used my powdered gold. I wasnt able to get my hands on any other type of holder for the dish so I set it on a brick in the parking lot and used a pair of heated channel locks to handle the dish. the gold form a button and poured easily after a few swirls around the inside of the dish.

Pics can be found in the Gallery section under Can I.... Make rose gold

As far as I know no one has posted a tut on here about rose gold. If you Wiki Rose Gold there is a chart that shows you the ratios for white gold, yellow gold, and rose gold
which is silver to gold ratio copper to gold ratio etc
sorry about the delay on my pics the internet sucks where im at so ill try to post them from my phone
EDIT
Photos have been uploaded to the gallery section along with a nice little hat tip to some

Palladium said:
Get you a set of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tongs-for-Melting-Dishes-/160890383010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2575d06aa2
It makes life so much easier.

Nice, and a good price too. I have some made of iron (they get rusty). I clean them off with a wire brush before each use when melting pure metal, then make sure all the dust is cleaned off before clamping on the melting dish.

I have used an offset needle nose pliers like the ones in the photo on the right with good results (when pouring small amounts of metal). Gets rusty also.

But these are made of stainless which should stay nice and clean. Thanks Palladium.

kadriver

Attachments

• pliers_17403.jpg
    pliers_17403.jpg
    78.7 KB
Had my wife take some pictures with her camera and upload some pictures for me of the tool.

Attachments

• 100_5292.jpg
    100_5292.jpg
    1.1 MB
  • 100_5293.jpg
    100_5293.jpg
    1.1 MB
  • 100_5294.jpg
    100_5294.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • 100_5299.jpg
    100_5299.jpg