catalytic converter smelter (small and large amounts welcome)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a toll refiner who deals with individual lots and accountability for those lots it can be done..... The problem is at what cost. Volume decreases processing fees and is a plus plus for both client and processor.

If you have a few singles there's a guy from Pell City that pays well on them. If you have quiet a few contact the guys in Anniston.

I only have a few. Been sitting on them for a while now. Just never made up my mind what to do with them.

Down that app i mentioned above and you can get an idea of the value when you get ready to sell them.

I can’t see how that can be done other than buying on content and smelt it in batches.
There are published lists if the material is still in the can it can be identified and the going price is listed. This is how most mechanics buy them at service stations. There are plenty of guys who buy this way and accumulate them to larger batches.

Only large batches are melted, it's the economy of scale.

We had a forum member back in 2008 that claimed to have invent a process to strip the metals from the substrate when metal prices were going crazy. I just pulled a copy of his information from a hard drive backup. Here is a copy of his presentation. I make no claims as to the validity of his claims and really haven't read it in 10 years.

It was called The Platinumill.

Attachments

• 44033663-Platinumills.pdf
    750 KB · Views: 2
You will take in 1 converter and pay on it? Basically you are taking in canned converters and paying off a list for that type of converter. Because if you expect us to believe you are smelting one cat you will quickly lose your shirt. It's fine to say you buy whole converters and if you do that's great. I wish you luck. But so far you have said little that makes sense in a refiners world.

Surely in 20 years you learned enough to give some details that would convince a potential customer that you actually have a brick and mortar refinery somewhere. Or maybe a website?

Keep in mind, you came here looking for customers. We didn't entrap you to get you to this site. It's your job to convince a potential customer that you exist. We are simply suggesting ways you can do that.
Refine and extraction to refine are two different things here. Im offering extraction. Yes 1 cat. Of course I prefer more. I've learned to take a loss to gain a customer, repeat customer, and so on. Refiner's world is your world as told,taught,read. I learned to step away from that circle. I have worked for over 20 years with minning companies and few of the biggest compaines well known. All information will be shared to anyone intersted in service. Safety is my main concern in my process. I can't speak for others reading Hoke's ,members advice and go off sticking acids in 5 gallon buckets with a bubbler. That is a joke in my world. Must less safety issues there. Simple here: Im offering extraction for others to refine for resell or learning experience . Now extracted, members here can help or Hoke's book with refining. They can choose either to recover 25 to 40 percent on whats told how to extract it or let me step in and recover 97 to 99 percent of all the values within a days time and shipped back all the pgm values.
If anyone wants this service, let them speak rather than finding all the excuses in your world to bring me down.. Like I said all in the suppliers favor how we can make this possible. Im here for other offers.

Quote: I can't speak for others reading Hoke's ,members advice and go off sticking acids in 5 gallon buckets with a bubbler. That is a joke in my world.
Why do you keep talking down to people who like yourself know very little.
Somebody put a line through his name please!

Dude you definitely know how to make an entrance. I can tell just by what you are saying you really only know half of what you are spitting. We don't just work for refiners, we are the refiners and we design the systems that refiners use across multiple industries. Who do you think you're talking to here?

Please, by all means educate us though.
I explained myself to you in a PM.
I had one of the biggest plants available. I'm not a newbie.. just newbie in this forum.. Proof will be shared within anybody needing it.

I'm heading to bed gentlemen. I've been talking to him through PM's.
He doesn't seem like a bad fellow, just has some trouble communicating given some of the circumstance he's been through. Let's here him out.

Quote: I can't speak for others reading Hoke's ,members advice and go off sticking acids in 5 gallon buckets with a bubbler. That is a joke in my world.
Somebody put a line through his name plea

Dude you definitely know how to make an entrance. I can tell just by what you are saying you really only know half of what you are spitting. We don't just work for refiners, we are the refiners and we design the systems that refiners use across multiple industries. Who do you think you're talking to here?

I think you, Palladium had spoken to soon. Yes I'm a newbie here, that is correct. Not a newbie in the smelting/extraction business. As we are discussing in our PM's. During our PM's chat's, come to find out we are working within the same area of our profession. Happens to be the people around his area tends to know me in person and not in a chat room asking for my equipment and help.. Next time don't be to quick to judge. You may be a long time member, but learn to listen and slow to speak. Don't assume.

Please, by all means educate us thoug

And all I am suggesting is that to entice that supplier to deal with you it would behoove you to give us some reason to believe you are a refiner with a functioning business.

Your reticence to do that speaks volumes!

I've said my piece, this is my last post. Now all of our members sitting on their catalytic converters can call you and work out a deal. I wish you luck.
Thank you for your input

Somebody put a line through his name please!
I speak the truth, I know enough that the average person, member, here in this forum is not looking for a hobby. They are trying to make a buck or too. We as members have to provide a service for those average person's. Referring them to Hokes book is not professional. We all know that leads them to nowhere at first and with empty pockets. I read a post of a college student here in this forum has his college savings locked up in a 5 gallon bucket. Is it his fault? Being desperate, makes people take the wrong path.

Yeah i'm done too. Good luck to you in your endeavors. To anyone reading this thread i live 30 minutes from one of the largest cat processors and refiners in North America. I would recommend them any day. Call them up and they will be more than happy to answer your questions. Look on their website and they have a program to download that will help you identify all types and makes of cats.

https://www.multimetco.com/
Yes, I'm ready to offer what they can't. Reminds me of the Alan Jackson song . The little man.

I speak the truth, I know enough that the average person, member, here in this forum is not looking for a hobby. They are trying to make a buck or too. We as members have to provide a service for those average person's. Referring them to Hokes book is not professional. We all know that leads them to nowhere at first and with empty pockets. I read a post of a college student here in this forum has his college savings locked up in a 5 gallon bucket. Is it his fault? Being desperate, makes people take the wrong path.
Reading Hokes book first, and that means before you do stupid things, should teach them to realise the dangers and the things not to do, at least to a certain degree.
She was not much into e-waste.
But the understanding of the reactions and how to be prepared for what happens when something goes wrong is all in there.

The downloadable copy in this forum have been modified to warn about a few things that was common in her time but are considered too dangerous today.

And yes the student have himself to blame, at least to a certain degree.
He did NOT do his homework and did all the wrong things.
As such he at least was a bad student.
I can’t remember now how that ended up.

Maybe he left us, but that was not because of lack of support.

If one out of desperation do such things you will for sure not go out and buy the services of a company to at least get less than one hope.

Then it is better to teach them what to do.

Where I see most of these makes their biggest mistakes is in acquiring their material, many have bought material with little to no value or at least way overpriced, and hope to get rich.

We do not do alchemy here so we can’t fix that.

He have one point though.
He says he can do it with as little as one cat.

How and to what degree that is reliable information is up to the ones if any that chose to business with him.

How he plan to convince anyone about his accountability when he more or less refuse to even discuss how he test them for PGM content is beyond me.
Correct, it's on me. One can choose for their best interest. I'm offering a service. I can pay for the cats if needed Or a set fee per cat or batch for processing. Customer's choice.
There is enough value for both ends.

Reading Hokes book first, and that means before you do stupid things, should teach them to realise the dangers and the things not to do, at least to a certain degree.
But the understanding of the reactions and how to be prepared for what happens when something goes wrong is all in there.

The downloadable copy in this forum have been modified to warn about a few things that was common in her time but are considered too dangerous today.

If one out of desperation do such things you will for sure not go out and buy the services of a company to at least get less than one hope.

Where I see most of these makes their biggest mistakes is in acquiring their material, many have bought material with little to no value or at least way overpriced, and hope to get rich.

We do not do alchemy here so we can’t fix th

We do not do alchemy here so we can’t fix that.
Agree, but many here were quick to judge me of a newbie title listed next to my username. They are wrong. Hokes book is a guide. We are now in 2022. Things have changed. Hokes is like reading the fine print. Most ignore it . I was taught that if I do the same thing as others do, you are likely to get the same results. I've learned not to follow that advice and do what's best and profitable. Very know man ( sreetips) also learned what was taught here. Much respect but he's after the profit, not the hobby as he claims. He realized the money was in jewelry and only does e- waste for views. No disrespect for those reading this post. Taking trimmed fingers and processing the way he is processing is nonsense. Like he said he learned here. We can all conclude it's not profitable, too much time and waste on the gold plated fingers. It's not the correct way of doing it first of all, unless you were taught that. I can process 10 times that amount within a hr. doing it the correct way. I am not advertising the process. Why? Simply because of the safety issues concerns not the average person understands. So yes that safety card you discussed earlier must be set. So these big guns are not always right. I'm personally not going to guide anyone in such process as I know it's not profitable for them. I will guide them in the expenses first as that seems to hurt them most rather than safety.. Take the time to listen rather than guideing them to read posts and Hokes first. I am offering anyone
( even the big guns ) my service.
I can process members cat's for a set fee per cat or batch. If you want more money for your cat all I ask is take a chance on me,as I'm taking a chance on them not leaching prior.

Back