catalytic converter smelter (small and large amounts welcome)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is wisdom in what Elemental wrote to you.
And the post is here so it is still open for comments.

First of all, like you say, you haven't done cat's, then move on . Seems like you are another reader and not the actual work. If you have nothing to offer, I have no information to share with you.

Perhaps I am a bit late to the conversation, but your sales pitch seems a bit too good to be true. "I can offer a free first time" feels like you are baiting people, but it could be that you're trying to simply do what everyone on here is doing and that's setting up a stream of scrap to get going. I wouldn't think of offering my refining services for free as part of a business model that I would expect to be successful, margins seem to be tight. Also, your refining timeline feels a bit absurdly fast, but then again I haven't attempted PGM recovery from a catalytic converters yet. I doubt that I would be getting my own metal back from you if I asked for you to toll refine for me.

It amazes me that you completely failed at the first thing asked of you. It was a simple three part question, to which you have completely ignored. It's not too late to answer these questions.

Bull-shit meter just hit 100%, you expect to walk into a house full of experts, whether refiners, chemists, assayers, etc, and throw the "it's a secret" card for SAFETY reasons? While I do appreciate your concern for my safety, your excuse for not sharing is abysmal. but you are simply hiding with a statement like that. I've never done catalytic converter recovery, but even something as simple as "We roller mill the honeycomb to 200 mesh and treat via a chlorine leach" would have been acceptable. Listing a link to a process i.e. (see below) would have been great. We are here to share knowledge but then again, you're just looking for metal to work on.

Kell Hydrometallurgical Process

IMORTANT:​

Also, who is "We". What's the name of your company, so I can look you up? Where are you located? How am I going to file taxes for your service.

You have failed to identify that you have these skills.

More bullshit on your part, it's not rules, it's a business agreement. Also, if you fail to assay or test for metal content, you cannot claim to extract / recovery a percentage, because you have no idea what you had to start with by failing to inventory metal content. If I were to send you a bunch half-soaked eBay cats, you wouldn't have any idea they had already been partially stripped of PGMs.

Tack a few names to these "Companies" and what your role was to let us weigh this statement.

Your sales pitch pivoted here. So, you're a glorified nut-cracker now? What do you specifically offer to do? Can you share a copy of your sales agreement with us?

The arrogance in this statement blows my mind. You are not a humble guest in the slightest. I would refuse to do business with you on this single statement alone.

Sales pitch has changed again...

Let's see... I've managed to plug leaks in 1-ton Chlorine DOT 106A500X chlorine containers, put out industrial factory fires by dropping 10-tons of liquid CO2 at a Caterpillar Plant in Peoria, IL, worked with all sorts of dangerous chemicals as a Chemistry undergrad, and managed all sorts of ammunition, explosives, etc as an Army Officer. Lived through multiple rocket and direct fire engagements. Have conducted research in super-critical carbon dioxide enantiomer separation and extraction. I find it rather absurd that you demand that we grant you respect as an expert, when you continually act as if this forum is full of first-year chemistry students. The "I won't share an iota of info because of safety reasons" is straight B.S. and undermines your credibility.

Sales pitch changes one more time...

So, what are your pay-out rates? Or is this a call and find-out sort of thing.

Another shift in sales pitch...

Not exactly open to talking to the novices.

catalyticconvertersmelter,

The above is to give you some honest feedback on how you come across that key notes that I a novice refiner/chemist have taken away from your interactions with our respected senior refiners/teachers on this forum. While you may have the skillsets to do as you claim, you lack simple business etiquette and respect for this board's membership and collective knowledge. You hide behind statements and refuse to ask directly asked questions. I will be honest, I would not trust you with my PGM's, because you are not honest up-front in looking for/interacting with potential customers.

This is not eBay or Facebook marketplace. You're asking those of us who do this for hobby, profit, professionally, or otherwise for the most precious thing we have, which is our raw material supplies we use for refining. What's worse from a common sense standpoint is that you fail to address how you will inventory the material that will come into your possession but still promise yield.

I'm not here to thrash you, but perhaps give someone who has too much time close to the sun, a more realistic perspective on how you come across as a potential business partner. I would like to think that the time taken to compile this response is evident of that. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. My parting advice would be, "Be more honest upfront, answer the questions candidly and pointily to your future business partners, and have a bit more respect when walking into the room for those that have been here long before you."

Elemental
First of all, I offered a service, not an assay. I myself was willing to take the chance in cats hopefully they haven't been leached to some extent.
I changed the pitch for reasons like yourself don't understand. You can be a rocket scientist, but come to the real world. I have made several business, some failed some hit. Fail is part of life. One speaking of was a restaurant. When grand opening, I offered free food for 1 complete week. Yes it hurts. But then everyone has tried what I offered. 8 years running strong.
Seems like you are a working sucker for someone else. All that I have is paid for, I don't have over head costs like many others. My taxes is all up to date. My business info etc will be made upon transaction. Sit on your cat's, sit and watch your cat's in a bucket of acids, do what ever pleases your needs. Learn to give to get back.
I did. I'm not here asking for upfront costs. I'm actually taking the heavy part of the risk. Should I change my name to risk taker CC's. If you are sitting on cats you didn't know how to proceed or Assuming you can do it yourself after reading . Then after reading ask your wife, mom and dad if it's okay to purchase a 100 k + smelter. Then settled into a drum furnace. That's how I see a non risk taker. Take a video and share of you throwing your cat's into the scrap yard for metal. I'll send you the money for doing so. I don't want your cat's. I am true to my, wife, children, business, friends, workers, and those worthy of it. Go back to fighting fires as now I see you created it and try to hide it from the truth. Get real. I donated last month 10,000 pine trees. Did you? Go help yourself first.

Sir,

I see my efforts have been wasted on you as you now attempt to throw insults around. I would ask that you move along and leave this forum alone, you don't appear to understand it's purpose and you are not an honest businessman as you refuse to answer simple questions. Your bragging leaves much to be desired as well. I have nothing further for you and no inquires into your business. I would recommend that others here avoid you as well. Have a nice day.

Working Sucker & Getting Real,

Elemental

Last edited:
Sir,

I see my efforts have been wasted on you as you now attempt to throw insults around. I would ask that move along and leave this forum alone, you don't appear to understand it's purpose and you are not an honest businessman as you refuse to answer simple questions. Your bragging leaves much to be desired as well. I have nothing further for you and no inquires into your business. I would recommend that others here avoid you as well. Have a nice day.

Working Sucker & Getting Real,

Elemental
Only speaking the truth. I didn't answer for the sole reason that I'm not offering that service they are asking. Very simple. Yes I truly advise others to ignore me if you want your pockets drained and sent off reading Hokes like many suggest. Or let me take care of it for you and actually see what others can't offer..

Both of Ms. Hokes publications are written in laymen terms, which for many have become stepping stones to a higher knowledge of the well kept secrets of precious metals.

The young man that started the Gold Refining Forum at the time was not old enough to enter a pub or cast a vote.

Noxx as he was known, eventually entered University his major chemical engineering, he opened his own refinery.

This forum is his legacy.

Besides being boastful what are your academic credentials.

Last edited:
I started working for Taylor foundry and big name melters back over 30 years ago. I learned from there the basics of melting. I traveled and went into the mining industry. I opened a ore processing plant and smelting operation with help from overseas schooling. Now with many years on hands on experience and owner of an actual registered plant I can defend myself from the backyard/ shade tree, Hokes reading members.
First is extraction, then refining. I personally don't refine , but during extraction we set it up for them refiners to take it from there in a form that their plant in able to process.
When having a metal in your hands, then refining reading Hokes o YouTube is not too bad of a process. Even here in this forum can help. Then a barrel furnace is not a bad option and a great idea to start from there without a high cost. Hobby is fine for the rich/ wealthy people. Most here try to make a buck or two in these hard times. Why refine 2 grams of 12 k when usually get the same amount as 1 gram of 24k.. Then theses big refiners only accept a fixed amount and nail you everywhere possible for small amounts and fee's.
P.S. I myself been there. I was selling cons at one point under their labs and rules. Then I process myself to the next step and found out I was getting 3 times more the amount stated in their labs. Perhaps a worker there got hired after reading Hokes and watching YouTube videos got the job. Then tested my material and I got the short end of the stick.. Maybe not the companies fault. I'm trying to help the little man

Last edited:
Why don't you tell us a little history of Miss Hoke?
You sure seem to have a problem with her and apparently the fact that we use her teachings as a foundation of where to start an education. Can't get her name out your mouth can you? Sort of like you had to have a foundation to build your knowledge on to start. I'm just going to come out here and call you one ungrateful person. You don't even appreciate the value of this board or other peoples opinion. You're a Narcissist! You're not trying to help the little man. You are trying to feed that monster that lives in you.

I laugh at your pompous attitude. My clients wouldn't give you the time of day! You act like you have done something. Get in line fellow. I have a 9th grade education, with none of that higher education you keep harping about and probably have more gold and silver stacked in my safe than you have equipment or savings, have more clients that you ever will, but yet you are this educated, rich, pompous person who has no sympathies for those who are trying to blaze the same path you did. We are about building people up here, not tearing or putting them down.

I can't stop laughing at you physiological disorder. You are entertaining though!
You either need to shut up and contribute or leave. I can't believe a mod hasn't banned you yet. Come on and lets hear what you really have to say Professor! Anybody remember the professor?

Why don't you tell us a little history of Miss Hoke?
You sure seem to have a problem with her and apparently the fact that we use her teachings as a foundation of where to start an education. Can't get her name out your mouth can you? Sort of like you had to have a foundation to build your knowledge on to start. I'm just going to come out here and call you one ungrateful person. You don't even appreciate the value of this board or other peoples opinion. You're a Narcissist! You're not trying to help the little man. You are trying to feed that monster that lives in you.

I laugh at your pompous attitude. My clients wouldn't give you the time of day! You act like you have done something. Get in line fellow. I have a 9th grade education, with none of that higher education you keep harping about and probably have more gold and silver stacked in my safe than you have equipment or savings, have more clients that you ever will, but yet you are this educated, rich, pompous person who has no sympathies for those who are trying to blaze the same path you did. We are about building people up here, not tearing or putting them down.

I can't stop laughing at you physiological disorder. You are entertaining though!
You either need to shut up and contribute or leave. I can't believe a mod hasn't banned you yet. Come on and lets hear what you really have to say Professor! Anybody remember the professor?
Palladium, I don't hate Hokes, just doesn't follow 2022 regulations we are now to follow. Monster? I'm restraining myself going any further with your opinions. I'll match every dollar you donate to this forumn.
I'm ready to help here if needed or get banned. I'm fine with the outcome.

Show me you will donate then. Post the screen shot and we will see!
DO IT! I dare you! I don't believe you. Start with $100 and we will go from there! Hell let's do $500. I like your thinking!

Sorry 4metals for my remarks, it wasn't you working from Africa.
It was a different member. Comments were coming in to fast, new to forum to follow correctly. I received the bann notice in getting banned. Sorry to those that I offended. Good luck with helping others.

I have been given the task of informing you that you have been banned from the forum.
This is not something I enjoy or take lightly.

The reasons are:
From the rules of the forum.

We expect readers to be on their best behavior, thus avoiding confrontations that take energy away from the topics at hand,
and to avoid losing good and valuable members.
This includes not posting about religion, politics, explosives, potentially illegal activities,
or other subjects that could divide members of the forum.
They simply create unnecessary and unwanted distractions away from the purpose of this forum
- the recovery and refining of precious metals.
Understand that accessing the forum is a privilege, not a right, and can be terminated for failure to adhere to board policy.

Be sympathetic to other members.
There will be zero tolerance for personal attacks on the board.
If you are at odds with another, feel free to have a polite debate, but temper your words with wisdom.
Post your position, doing so by sticking to the subject at hand.
Do not make your comments personal in nature. Flaming is not permitted.
No one will be allowed to attack the character of another.
If you find yourself involved with another reader, and things don't work out as you hope,
do NOT make mention in such a way that it can't be addressed by the accused.

Respect the authority of the Administrators and Moderators.
If you have a problem with a Moderator, feel free to contact other Moderators or Administration for resolution.
Please adhere to the requirements of proper behavior in doing so.

You have broken these rules a multitude of times and refused to correct your ways after many attemps to warn you.

I hope your smelting business will work out for you and your customers.

Contribution... not conflict! Trust me i know from personal experience.
I don't see a line through your name yet, but i would definitely at least try and make amends with the group. If you're truly here to help others humility is the first step. Helping others is not about self. I think you have a lot of knowledge myself. You're not stupid bu any stretch of the imagination. Your psy profile says you are highly driven and educated. It's just you can be the smartest person in the world, but if you can't communicate that then your information is worthless!

This user has been banned for failing to follow the rules of the forum, even after multiple cautions.

So I would actually like to go back in time, in an effort to make this a bit more educational.

There is a very specific reason I asked what collector metal he is utilizing. On a small scale, smelting of rhodium will be entirely dependent upon the collector. Rhodium has a very low solubility in silver and lead, so traditional lead based assays leave you entirely shortchanged. In the nickel sulfide fusion, rhodium is collected and isolated in the sulfide matte, then measured by ICP.

For arc melting, rhodium is collected in an iron collector. On a small scale, it can also be collected following fusion with iron sulfide.

On large scale rotating furnace with a copper collector, I have zero clue where the rhodium is collected. I'm not sure if it's in the copper at a low concentration, and just accumulates in the anode slimes, or what.

Overall though, value of automotive catalyst is entirely dependent upon whether or not you are getting paid on rhodium right now. The Pd and Pt are easy enough to capture, but with Rh having a value almost 10x per ounce, even with the considerably smaller amount in the catalyst, getting paid on assay, without the rhodium value being present is a significant loss.

Back