DANGER Do NOT Mix Sulfuric acid & Glycerin 4 gold Recov

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, what would you think about using molten zinc for a collector? From what I have read at least gold and silver have a much higher affinity for zinc than lead. Also, if you do not want to Vaporize the zinc to get the gold, you could just drop it is some HCL and dissolve the zinc away.

With zinc having a lower density than lead, the gold may actually sink into it faster(not sure if that is the right word for it). Since it most likely will be in solution instead of sinking.

Indeed without nitrate there is no risk of forming nitroglycerin after all simply by mixing water and baking soda and heating it in a pan you are one step from making crack all you need cocaine.

Q, Why would anybody want to use Sulfuric Acid and Glycerine? All the Vids on YouTube show Aqua Regia as the choice for desolving Gold. Thanks, lightspeed.

Could it be that the glycerine in the cell is meant to address two possible issues? 1> evaporation and/or 2>splattering of the acid.

That's an interesting concept, AKDan. Perhaps those that are running a cell currently could describe what the glycerin does when introduced to the cell. If it were to create a layer on the surface, your idea certainly could be valid.

Readers?

Harold

Maybe it helps the gold to agglomerate and not to stay in suspension in the solution... (while it precipitates)

I am really sorry but I could'n resist: "BEING ALIVE IS JUST ONE STEP FROM BEING DEAD"(best if said by Don Lafontaine) :lol:

james122964 said:
Hey, what would you think about using molten zinc for a collector? From what I have read at least gold and silver have a much higher affinity for zinc than lead. Also, if you do not want to Vaporize the zinc to get the gold, you could just drop it is some HCL and dissolve the zinc away.

With zinc having a lower density than lead, the gold may actually sink into it faster(not sure if that is the right word for it). Since it most likely will be in solution instead of sinking.

One of the folks at Eastern told me they use Zinc as a collector. Perhaps he was just pulling my leg.

My turn to get thrown under the Bus. 8)

This thread seems to be going in two different directions, and the zinc collector sounds interesting but vaporized zinc is quite poisonous as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkes_process

Anyway while reading up on glycerin I read it is a strong humectant (A humectant is a hygroscopic substance.)

I do understand it is not necessary to do the job.

So... I'll put this out there in case one of the forum chemists know or can look it up.

1.)Does glycerin have a stronger affinity for water than concentrated sulfuric?

2.)Could the intended purpose for including it in the stripping cell be to bind any remaining water in the concentrated sulfuric or perhaps prevent dilution by absorption of humidity?

Glycerin does indeed like water--this is because it has 3 hydroxyl functionalities with which it may hydrogen bond (this is also the cause of its other colligative properties, like its viscosity). It does not like it more than concentrated sulfuric acid. If it did, would chemists dry compounds over meek and tame glycerin, or would they continue to use sulfuric acid in their dessicators?

I have no idea why glycerin is present, and if Chris has no idea, then there is probably no chemical reason for it.

I've been lurking for a while...still reading, learning and collecting. But I have a really dumb question :lol: What does "Roll Tide" mean...I keep seeing it and I'm clueless. :oops:

I'm sure others could answer this better, Since I've never even been in Alabama.

Not funny at all.

The nickname of the Alabama University football team is the "Crimson Tide". They are undefeated this year and, on Jan 7, they will play another undefeated team, Texas, for the national title. Supporters of Alabama say "Roll Tide". Tides do "roll" and I guess it could mean to "roll" on the opposition. If someone else says "Hook em', Horns", you know they are supporters of Texas, whose nickname is the Longhorns.

Hook em, Horns!

goldsilverpro said:
I'm sure others could answer this better, Since I've never even been in Alabama.

Not funny at all.

The nickname of the Alabama University football team is the "Crimson Tide". They are undefeated this year and, on Jan 7, they will play another undefeated team, Texas, for the national title. Supporters of Alabama say "Roll Tide". Tides do "roll" and I guess it could mean to "roll" on the opposition. If someone else says "Hook em', Horns", you know they are supporters of Texas, whose nickname is the Longhorns.

Hook em, Horns!
Ahhh that makes perfect sense.

rewalston said:
goldsilverpro said:

Not funny at all.

The nickname of the Alabama University football team is the "Crimson Tide". They are undefeated this year and, on Jan. 7, they will play another undefeated team, Texas, for the national title. Supporters of Alabama say "Roll Tide". Tides do "roll" and I guess it could mean to "roll" on the opposition. If someone else says "Hook em', Horns", you know they are supporters of Texas, whose nickname is the Longhorns.

Hook em, Horns!
Ahhh that makes perfect sense.
Very good GSP. You know your football too! Have you heard this one? "Praise be to the football gods, our messiah has come. Pay him what ever it takes and he will lead us back to glory." Or "Sabination! First take back the state then the nation." In the past 2 years they have been real popular at my house. Only in ALABAMA! We are glued to the television waiting to see our Tide Pride hit their stride and finaly whup up some steaks.

Palladium said:
Not to say your wrong or anything, but any good refiner caps his chemicals as soon as you finish pouring them, and always keep them seperated.

and if you live in earthquake country ... who gets to clean up my workshop after a big shaker ? I do.

Latest posts

Back