Do you think metal detecting is worth the effort?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a detector can indeed pay very well if you have the time and right place to use it. I have found old civil war buttons that I have sold for as much as $400. I was paid $1000 reward for recovering a lost ring. I have recovered old slave tags, gold jewelry, colonial era coins and buttons and my favorite coin find is an 1835 Flowing hair liberty gold coin that I found in an old swimming hole. I don't know anyone personally that has gotten rich with a detector but have indeed met a few people that made thier living with one.
I know one gentleman in South Carolina that recovered over five pounds of nuggets, the largest weighing just under 9oz. He was later able to get a lease on the property and turn it into a producing mine.

Harold_V said:
Do you think metal detecting is worth the effort?
Even if you find very little valuables it is good exercise. When I detect on a regular basis I never have back problems. When I slack off for a while (like now) I really have to watch how i pick up things or bend.

I have found a considerable amount of gold using my Tesoro detectors. Only a small percentage has been ore and nuggets - but we're hoping to increase that percentage over this summer. My best gold find was over 30 years ago - (3) 1853 California gold half dollars found within a 5 foot radius - and within a half hour timespan. I was absolutely hooked at that point. Over the next 30+ years, I found a lot of gold - but not a single additional gold coin.

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post. First off Just like to say this forum is amazing. So much info here. I've been reading posts on here for about 3 months now & almost through Hokes book, trying to learn as much as I can before I jump in, and save asking alot of simple/stupid questions.

My interest in refining actually sprung out of metal detecting. I found an old gold ring first time out and I've been looking for tressure ever since. Now to answer the question "is detecting worth it"? That really depends on your goals. If you want to hunt for the excitement of finding something neat(not always valuable) then of course it's worth it. If you want to get rich quick, then likely not. But like the above sample people have found very expensive items. Look up gold on Wikipedia to see the largest nugget found with a M.D. it weighs 156 oz!!!! Now that would be a amazing.
As for brands, check out kellyco.com thats where I buy mine from. Good prices and you can even compare models. If you know anyone with one, see if you can borrow it to see if you like the features, weight, ect.
Cheers
Steve

blueduck said:
so i suppose if you dedicate looking once inawhile and have fun at it, it is worth the time.... same as fishing, if the fish dont bite, you still had a decent day just getting away from the hustle of life for a few hours.

Words to live by. I am often times asked how I am doing in my prospecting ventures. To date I have found nothing of 'value' although I have acquired some excellent rock specimens and had countless great hours in the wilderness with family and friends. Makes the cost all worth while.

As others have stated, it's a matter of whether the hunt itself is worth it, or if you are trying to pay for the detector and the time involved.

A friend of mine has an amazing knack for finding Seated Liberty quarters and dimes in Golden Gate Park and around Lake Merritt in Oakland, CA, completely urban park areas...which I find quite remarkable.

I've gone out with him a time or two and found 22 cents in the roots of a tree (typical date on the coins: 1990, LOL)

What gets me going is the fellow who posted the pix of all the gold nuggets he found.

I think the biggest bonanza lies in finding lost jewelry.

And on the whole other hand, perhaps the true value is the exercise of traipsing around outdoors.

went metal detecting today
found 1.37
each kid dug up their own coins
kids were super excited with each find
priceless

Probably Canadian coins. I went to beach few times too. My problem is that nearest beach is about 80km from where I live. I just walked beach with detector marking spots where I got signal. My wife and kids then followed with small pinpointing probe and small shovels. That was fun as you cant be sure what will pop out of the sand. I once found intact can with beer inside :) Good tip for day out, you spend day in nature on fresh air and kids are interested as treasure might be under sand....
That day we found about half a kilo (pound) of coins and about 3-4 times that amount of trash. 99% of coins were rusted and damaged by salt water. Half of them old irish pounds and pennies and half of euros and cents. I have found nice sterling silver ring and 2 silver hoops earrings. Still waiting for my first gold. My Minelab Explorer II was resting last nearly two years as I had some problems which did not allow me to go to beach. Maybe this year who knows....

Well at least the water had the beer at drinking temperatures (not right for most US chaps unfortunately).

Your attitude about metal detecting is very similar to my panning in the Eastern US. It is a fun day in the sun, and who knows, you may find something of value. It is not expected however.

I have been known to take kids out panning and when nothing is found, I ask them to pan their concentrates one more time. Amazingly enough ½ gram low grade nuggets have a habit of showing up at that point, go figure.

Priceless!

element47 said:
As others have stated, it's a matter of whether the hunt itself is worth it, or if you are trying to pay for the detector and the time involved.

A friend of mine has an amazing knack for finding Seated Liberty quarters and dimes in Golden Gate Park and around Lake Merritt in Oakland, CA, completely urban park areas...which I find quite remarkable.

I've gone out with him a time or two and found 22 cents in the roots of a tree (typical date on the coins: 1990, LOL)

What gets me going is the fellow who posted the pix of all the gold nuggets he found.

I think the biggest bonanza lies in finding lost jewelry.

And on the whole other hand, perhaps the true value is the exercise of traipsing around outdoors.

My experience is similar to Element47. I've never found more than a few clad quarters on any given trip. It's time consuming, frustrating, and not profitable, but, if exercise is your goal it beats sitting on the couch. Although, I'll bet some couch cushions contian more coins than many of the places I've been able to hunt. That's the other problem--good hunting ground is very, very difficult to find unless you're willing to bend rules, and I am not.

when i was younger, my brother and i bought a pair of Whites 2000 coinmaster's.they wasnt very sophisticated but in 1980, we were the first ones doing house to house in the historic district. i found several small gold coins and many pounds of silver coins. (unfortunately for me, my brother, being older than me frauded me out of my part). the technic we used was we cut a circular cone with a butchers knife in the lawn and dug for the target with a trowel. it was the least destructive. the home owner was asked for permission and offered a couple of coins for a reward (but they never saw the gold coins). i believe a city ordinance since then has put a stop to removing artifacts from the ground in the historic district.

Yes It was $1.37 in cold hard cash, ( not grams of gold)
Pulling back an old thread here But hey weather is good so more detecting is coming.

Hi i am a newbie here and just thought would put my two bobs worth/ i have been metal detecting( gold ) since 1973 and can assure you it is well worth the effort, as a hobby it gets you out in the fresh air, keeps you active, and when on gold keeps you smiling :lol: : to date i have detected over 500 ounces the largest being only 4 ounces . with the introduction of minelabs 1600 with auto ground balance was the start of increased gold finds .now with the Minelab 5000 we are now able to pick up qrt gram pieces with ease , but problem now is they are very difficult to pinpoint as they are so small , but gold is gold .So grab a detector and get out there. Davext

I wish I had a minelab... I have a crappy ACE 350... And there is no gold in Iowa.. :(

ive got a brand new Garrett "The Scorpion - Gold Stinger" with a Crossfire pickup coil. i have yet to use it. if i cant muster up the gumption to get out and dig something up before winter, i might list it in the sell or trade.

BAMGOLD said:
I wish I had a minelab... I have a crappy ACE 350... And there is no gold in Iowa.. :(
There is gold in Iowa. I guarantee you that someone lost some. You just have to go to sandy/grassy areas where people frequent and I'm sure you'll get lucky.

I remember when I first bought mine (2 years now), it's a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, I took it in my back yard where I used to live and when I was done for the day I had found around $0.93 worth of change that was scattered all over the yard.

Also, it's a great idea to use metal detectors in your own yard because if someone lived there before you, there's no telling what you may find.

For example: Around 20+ years ago from my first marriage, my ex-wife and I got into an argument and she gave me her wedding band set and I took them, opened up my back door and just threw them in the back yard near a fence, never to be found again. I bet if I went back to that house with my detector, I'd find those rings, not unless someone else has used a metal detector back there.

So, you never know what you'll find. As I just mentioned, some people don't even lose gold, they simply throw it away... like I did. It was a dumb move on my part. Oh Well.

Kevin

Most gold jewelry is found on beaches, in the surf line where people swim. The cold water shrinks their hands and fingers, and the rings and bracelets fall off and immediately sink a couple inches into the sand, making them nearly impossible to find without a metal detector. Swimming spots at lakes are good, too.

Read the finds and water detecting sections, and you can see some peoples results.

Latest posts

Back