Dropping gold problems with SMB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARKER113

Hello forum members,
Thanks again for a wonderful form. I joined a few years ago and have had two decent refining seasons thanks to all of the information on the forum.
Well it's gold refining 2020 for me and I have a decent amount to work with.
I am doing chips, pins and some fingers.

My problem started last year with slow dropping gold, or gold just not dropping out of solution. I use AP for everything and hcl and water for washes and hcl and bleach to dissolve gold.

I saved a solution that wouldn't drop last year before my time ran out. It was gold plated pins from servers and computers. This year I decided to evaporate it down, add hcl and attempt to drop it again with smb that was dissolved in water. I ended up evaporating it down too long and it turned into dry crystals. Maybe some from smb and maybe some from the bleach I used for dissolving the gold foils in the first place.

I added hcl, dissolved the crystals, filtered tried to drop it, failed, and ended up cementing it out with copper bars.
I washed the fine reside with hcl a few times to get rid of any green color and washed with water.
I decided I want a decent button so I added a bit of gold powder that took to long to settle from dip chips, and some other clean black powder from cementing a gold solution last year.
I added those three together and washed with hcl twice and did not notice any color change so I water washed it with water, added HCL and started to add new all purpose bleach. I believe I used around 100ml in total squirting it in and stirring with a pipette
I was surprised by the bright red color. I tested with stannous and it was a yellow orange color. I let it sit over night with my other beaker of 1030 grams of 2 sided ram chips that I also used bleach to dissolve. It turned a nice deep yellow.
The next day I figured (after searching the forum for what might be the red color) to drop the gold out of the solution with smb since the chlorine would of left the solution. And deal with the pgms if there are any later. But I noticed a bit of gold at the bottom of the flask so I decanted it, added a bit of hcl and bleach to dissolve the bit of gold. Then added the two together, filtered, waited 15 min. Then added two tea spoons of smb to a small amount of water and added it to the solution and it turned a golden color. Nothing dropped.

I've been looking this up for a while now as I suspect that my problems dropping are due to ph but I can't find ph test strips or just to lazy to drive around.. Either too much water or too much hcl is what I've concluded.

So My other solution of chips also didn't drop anything. With that one i added double the amount of hcl before adding smb thinking maybe it needs to be more acidic.
It turned almost clear after adding the smb. Nothing dropped but a grain or two.

So now the orange solution was heated up and is sitting uncovered to possibly evaporate the leftover chlorine (if that's the problem)
And the other solution was heated up and is left alone to possibly drop the gold over the next few hours.

When I first started out using hcl and bleach, dropping with SMB worked like a charm. I got nice fast light brown drops. Now it's like everytime I try it is always a huge struggle. Either not dropping or dropping very fine useless powders that take forever to settle.

Could anyone point out what I might be doing wrong?
It should be extremely simple with the same results everytime if I add the right amount of hcl and let the chlorine evaporate off. Right?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20200702_230721.jpg
    20200702_230721.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 255
  • 20200702_230725.jpg
    20200702_230725.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 255
Hey there Dave!
It's a new solution. I used fresh HCL, 3 smal chucks of new solder wire and 1/4 of a gram of TIN II stannous chloride. I didn't heat it up.

Oh ha, sorry Dave. I bought the SMB in 2018 pure sodium metabisolphate. I bought 4 sealed bags then. I tried this year with the old one. And it didn't work the best so i opened a new bag. As i read on the forum that it can get old and lumpy. And the old stuff was a bit lumpy although it powdered up nicely.
The new package was less lumpy, but still not all completely granulated. But easily broken up.

I should also add after problems dropping with my first batch ( Dip chips large and small 645 g ) this year I researched on here for a few days and realized the SMB may be bad. I tested the old stuff on fresh HCL and it sizzles and bubbles when dropped in. But I decided to get the new bag opened anyways.

From my experience old smb shouldn't be a problem. I've on many occasions used ancient SMB to drop gold. As long as it can produce sulfur it should work. If it's old you may just have to use more than usual. When you used the SMB did it produce a pungent nose punching smell? If so the SMB is fine.

Honestly I don't recall a smell as I usually wear a respirator. I can take a small waft next time I add some of the older stuff and see. Neither solutions fizzed when I added a small amount of dry SMB which gets me wondering if it's acidic enough. But since I doubled the HCL in the one batch and didn't drop or fizz that idea seems shot down.

So I retested the solutions with stannous after giving it about 5 hours. Some gold has dropped. But the tests still show a positive for I believe gold in the clear solution and PGMS and/gold in the once red but now yellow solution.
After adding a bit more dry SMB I didn't get any major sulfur smell. I will get more SMB tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20200703_200620.jpg
    20200703_200620.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 223
  • 20200703_200625.jpg
    20200703_200625.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 223
  • 20200703_200858.jpg
    20200703_200858.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 223
  • 20200703_200906.jpg
    20200703_200906.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 223
Did you use heat while doing the AR step? If yes, how much?

It is possible that your acid is used up and a bit of hydrochloric is needed to get the SMB to work properly. That sulfur smell is a sure way to know that the SMB is working. It is also the reason I started using copperas more often. I hate the smell and my wife is allergic to sulfur.

Also, I recently emptied a bottle of SMB that was opened four years ago and it worked fine.

Hi Shark, I warmed them up but did not get them hot before I tried dropping. As it would release the chlorine too fast to do a good job dissolving. And I have a hard enough time dissolving half a gram of powder with HCL+CL Haha. It takes about 75 millimeters and I have been adding a bit more HCL after 50 millimeters as I think maybe it's getting too basic with the water from the bleach, as it's taking awhile to dissolve.
It starts as a small solution and ends up with almost a full beaker after the HCL, bleach and water from washing the filter.. It could be that the chlorine takes more than a few minutes to dissolve the gold and stays in the solution longer than I thought. It usually takes me 15-20 sitting there putting in a few dashes of bleach, stirring it lots. Wait a min or two, then continue to add bleach and do it again until it's all dissolved. Around 20 min and sometimes a bit less than double the starting solution.

Sorry if I'm leaving large replys. I'm just trying to get out all of the information so you guys may have a better idea of what is going on. Hopefully it's useful information 😁😂

A better explained version of my problems. When I say you guys are great!!

I use lab/industrial level chemicals (from Science Company mostly), so I am not concerned with them.

For me is a matter of process and the moment to precipitate.

Let's see what we get here, for certain will be another great lesson for me.

Cheers

Yes quite the annoyance! I'll get some new SMB today and give it a try. Hopefully that's my problem. I would be very happy to finally have nice, fast drops.
On a side note, last night, after leaving the stannous tests for about 15 minutes from the originally red solution, the test turned clear.
The clear solution stannous test remained purple.

PARKER113 said:
I bought the SMB in 2018 pure sodium metabisolphate.

Per the underlined - are you using the right product to drop your gold :?:

You want to use bisulf(I)te NOT bisulf(A)te

Bisulfate (spelled with an A instead of spelled with an I) will not drop your gold

Kurt

PARKER113 said:
Neither solutions fizzed when I added a small amount of dry SMB

Again - this tells me you are using the wrong product

You want bisu - fite (spelled with an i)

not bisul - fate (spelled with an a)

The SMB (spelled with an i) I have is 12 years old & still drops gold (so how old it is should not be a problem)

Kurt

This is where I got my SMB. They used to sell a nice litte 3 gallon bucket at one point. But you can buy it in a five pound bag for cheap. I'd recommend putting it in a bucket to keep it dry. With a large amount you'll never have to worry about SMB again. If you go through a five pound bag or even a... *gulp* 50 lbs bag you're doing well! 8)

https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=sodium+metabisulfite

Back