Estimate on pin yield.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Shmandi, welcome. In the interest of speed, these will be done in a hot 50/50 nitric bath.

AP is my only choice I cant get nitric acid cheap. I read your previous post about metastannic acid problem thats why I think you are going to deal with it in this batch too. Fully plated pins its difficult to guess whats underneath but partially plated pins Tin is obvious.

Do you do pins like this in A/P? how much for 4 pounds and how long would it take do you think?

6-8 weeks is a very long time. OK if you are doing your own material for sure and there is no time issues. Always, for sure post your foils. Great to see peoples work.

AP will not only take long, you will also need a lot of it. I mean A LOT...
I would try cell, takes some time too but easier on chemicals needed.

5.2g total

my guess, i see some good stuff in there :p

i have 3.04 KG for recovery, its shinny LOL
maybe we can have a guessing game with that too.......

you can do a hcl bath to remove the solder first but you would have to heat the material to red before the nitric bath. with a large majority of the pins having tin in the base metal, theres no way to avoid the tin oxide. even if you use AP, you will still get tin oxide. anyone that has tried to process many pounds of springy pins can tell you about the copper pudding that settles out of solution.well, the pudding is actually tin oxide and the green color is copper(II) chloride. so whether you digest with nitric acid or acid peroxide, your going to have tin oxide pudding to deal with. force dry the mass and heat to over 400 degrees F and mill or grind to a fine powder and alternate between hcl bath and water rinse until the hcl stays clear. then the hcl/Cl leach will come out a beautiful golden color.

low ball 2 Grams, the lot those thick pins are low yield , most seem flash plated, 10 um, to 15 um. top end recoverable, fired to a button, 1/4 of one percent, 5 to 6 grams tops. something like 20 dollars an hour, time chemicals, and all effort. a lot of glitter for little gold, but are not we all fooled by this folly ? Cheers, i really think you got to sort , for a better understanding, get those fat brass pins out of the mix, before you process, they are just a waste of time and chemicals. ebay them off. Cheers, good luck, the educated guessers here are on the low side.

So whoever guess less is more educated - I am just quoting you. :twisted:
This is just guessing game, only him and only when he finish will know how much there was. No need to judge, there is nothing like the same batch and everything in there is way too mixed to give "educated guess".
There may be something hidden out of view which may end up either way.

Great! I've not only been told my silver cell design is an utter failure tonight, but now it seems i'm over edumakated.

:mrgreen:

Palladium said:
Great! I've not only been told my silver cell design is an utter failure tonight, but now it seems i'm over edumakated.

:mrgreen:

no worries, there only guessing :roll:

patnor1011 said:
This is just guessing game, only him and only when he finish will know how much there was. No need to judge, there is nothing like the same batch and everything in there is way too mixed to give "educated guess".
Educated in that processing experience sets guesses without exaggerated optimism . I read your PDF on flat pack recovery, well done, 8)

GOLDbuyerCA said:
patnor1011 said:
Educated in that processing experience sets guesses without exaggerated optimism . I read your PDF on flat pack recovery, well done, 8)

No worries, no hard feelings my English is not perfect and sometimes it is hard for me to express exactly what I want to say and mainly how I want to say that. Sometimes I type too much and too long and sometimes it all looks strange.
Well, Thanks, I am now firm believer that there is more gold locked from plain view in IC than on pins. A lot of new people go for shiny things and don't realize that there is much more where they cant see it. I still collect pins and I do have several kilograms of them but apart from some tests on specific types I never did any larger size batch. I am somehow convinced that I will do them in cell as nitric method is cost prohibitive for me. I pay about 5-6 euros for litre of 30% strong.

So whats up did u do them yet or
Get an idea
From my experience
IT pins--.5 grams/lb
Springy pins--1.1 grams/lb
Big brassy pins---.3 grams/lb

And i thought 7% high yield pins was my way
To riches and this is what i got

Maybe just maybe i can get some
Out of an ICBM or the space shuttle :lol:

I think i will post the same guessing game
With some IC's i purchased